a few speci's found in the last couple of months

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday guys,
im new to this forum & thought I might as well share a few of my finds for this season. I live in the goldfields of WA and prospect full time.
cheers
speci-man

64 oz speci with approx. 12 oz gold
1374878366_speci.jpg

1374878519_speci2.jpg

Nice finds speciman, and welcome aboard. The missus and I prospect fulltime aswell. Mostly in the west, sluicing in the east during summer. What area are you from?

DD

G'day Speci-man,

Welcome along to the forums! Looks like a beaut collection there. Gotta love W.A. The large piece is an absolute ripper! :eek:

All the best out there. Glad to have you here.
Cheers,
Shauno.

I would imagine there was quite a bit of heart palpitations going on when you locked onto that large specimen

Nice find

Do you intend to sell it?

regards

Great finds there speci-man, that's some of this years finds you say,
Time to head west I think... Hope there is something left :) :) lol
Welcome aboard and keep those rocks coming...

RR

Nice gold think we need to save up and get on a tour over west next year. In the mean time keep trying our luck in chilly Victoria.

yes found the above in the past few months, don't get me wrong finding the big one doesn't happen every day! The photo below is of a couple of the better looking nuggets from the past few weeks. Im near Kalgoorlie and prospect from sandstone down to norseman.
1374922476_nugs.jpg

Sorry to put a dampener on your finds Speci-man but the big one on your hat looks awfully like one I lost a while back. Is it ok if I swing-by and have a closer look?

.............. ;) .

Drewe.

Mr Sism said:
Sorry to put a dampener on your finds Speci-man but the big one on your hat looks awfully like one I lost a while back. Is it ok if I swing-by and have a closer look?

.............. ;) .

Drewe.

i tried that one too

even snuck in his window and engraved my name on it but didnt fool him for one minute

damn it hurts getting a stock whip across your knuckles :p

hmmm im afraid not unless you managed to loose it and bury it a foot and a half deep ..es it is for s..im sure though funnier things have happened so of course your welcome to drop by and check to see if its the one you misplaced....just look for me on the goldfields ill be the one with the detector
& yes it is for sale although I believe ill have to dolly her up in order to sell which is unfortunate but as the majority of the gold is within the quartz and not sticking out on the outside people are generally not happy paying what a specific gravity says is in the piece so she will prob see the blunt end of a heavy object sooner or later or a may get a mate to use HF to remove the quartz as it may come out pretty cool seeing all the gold on the outside is connected and there are bits sticking out all over the quartz so im hoping there are some nice veins of gold running through the entire piece.

speci-man said:
hmmm im afraid not unless you managed to loose it and bury it a foot and a half deep ..es it is for s..im sure though funnier things have happened so of course your welcome to drop by and check to see if its the one you misplaced....just look for me on the goldfields ill be the one with the detector
& yes it is for sale although I believe ill have to dolly her up in order to sell which is unfortunate but as the majority of the gold is within the quartz and not sticking out on the outside people are generally not happy paying what a specific gravity says is in the piece so she will prob see the blunt end of a heavy object sooner or later or a may get a mate to use HF to remove the quartz as it may come out pretty cool seeing all the gold on the outside is connected and there are bits sticking out all over the quartz so im hoping there are some nice veins of gold running through the entire piece.

Hi buddy , congratulations on the rewards of your hard work there

regarding removing quartz without damaging the gold inside it , i was asking that question too a while back , see the thread below

I was thinking the same thing that sometimes you might find gold with higher value if you can ge it in its original natural crystaline form . it might be a one in a hundred or one in a thousand chance but that chance still exists you could uncover an artistic treasure.
Have you used HF before and does it leave the gold completely undamaged or is there risk of abrasion from the vibration during the process ?
hydroflouric acid would work but isnt something any of us would want to play with , assuming you could even get a permit to buy the acid.
If you consider the HF process reliable , can you tell me more about the machine to do it , is it similar to ultrasonic ?

thanks and best wishes

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1692

i use a gpx5000 and the big speci was found with a 12x15 mono commander coil ....although its a heavy coil I swear by it although some people hate them....I either use the 12x15 or the 11in commander and every now and then the 17x11 nugget finder for patch finding but really you cant go past the 11in mono commander coil, its a great all round coil. I always have my 5000 in fine gold with all the above coils, I run on quite, 16 gain unless ground is bad then will lower to 12-14 , stab 8 but these are the settings that my machine and I like, other machines and people will prefer other settings
As for how they use the HF acid....well im not sure, I thought you just dunked the thing in acid as you would alibright but I have never done it personally as I don't have a license for the HF and I wouldn't go near the stuff my friend however does have a HF license and reg uses HF to clean his nuggets/speci's etc and I have given him speci's previously and they have come out alright one in particular was very cool as it had veins of gold all interconnected like a tree...as for damage, I didn't see any but that's not to say it wasn't sharper and his method caused edges of gold to be made blunt etc but looking at the piece you couldn't tell one way or the other.... anyway ill ask him for you and find out his method
Speci-Man

speci-man said:
i use a gpx5000 and the big speci was found with a 12x15 mono commander coil ....although its a heavy coil I swear by it although some people hate them....I either use the 12x15 or the 11in commander and every now and then the 17x11 nugget finder for patch finding but really you cant go past the 11in mono commander coil, its a great all round coil. I always have my 5000 in fine gold with all the above coils, I run on quite, 16 gain unless ground is bad then will lower to 12-14 , stab 8 but these are the settings that my machine and I like, other machines and people will prefer other settings
As for how they use the HF acid....well im not sure, I thought you just dunked the thing in acid as you would alibright but I have never done it personally as I don't have a license for the HF and I wouldn't go near the stuff my friend however does have a HF license and reg uses HF to clean his nuggets/speci's etc and I have given him speci's previously and they have come out alright one in particular was very cool as it had veins of gold all interconnected like a tree...as for damage, I didn't see any but that's not to say it wasn't sharper and his method caused edges of gold to be made blunt etc but looking at the piece you couldn't tell one way or the other.... anyway ill ask him for you and find out his method
Speci-Man

I think i misinterpreted your original post , when you mentioned HF i thought you were referring to high frequency ultrasonic to break down the quartz but you must have meant Hydroflouric acid ?

love to hear more about the process as he does it

can you imagine how many have gone through the crusher and we will never know what kind of gold-art they had inside them ?

If you got lucky and found something rare after dissolving the quartz you could end up selling it at Sothebys for a buyer in the Saudi Emirates instead of " Joe Blow Bullion Buyer "

Latest posts