A few days on the Victorian goldfields produces some nice little bits

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willo

Ian Williams
Reaction score
Hello spent a nice few days in the goldfields - not only were the temperatures refreshing but so was some of the bush scenery.

Conditions were wet for the morning of the first day so detecting was delayed but the good old bom radar on the iphone kept the spirits up. Found my first piece a small specimen by working slowly around a tree near some diggings. Started to feel unwell so did not add to the tally but decided to have a bit of a look around. Day two I was a bit unwell but managed to score another piece in a patch of highly mineralised clay with lots of detector holes around. Broke camp for the comfort of a motel to recover and recover I did.

After a long ramble through the bush came across some likely looking gravel when suddenly a big noise sounded in the headphones, it was a nice little nugget about 0.5 gram. Worked the area thoroughly for two more pieces and also found a nice little piece on the edge of a mullock heap in the main run of the diggings. Returned to the spot the next day and scored a nice little piece out of a slaty creek (see the link to my video, the first of probably three videos I will upload to youtube). Pickings were slim so spent some time slowly working some flogged ground for three more pieces. Overall finished with 13 small pieces for the trip, best probably about 0.7 gram. Once thing for sure, there is no bad gold and I am overdue for a bigger piece,

Willo

Photo 1: the three from my "patch"!

1374840627_gold_finds_1_1.jpg

Photos 2 and 3 - a friend took me into some hidden diggings, note the interesting angle of the bedrock:

1374840705_p1020547_1.jpg

1374840769_p1020548_2.jpg

Photo 4: Pleasing to the eye, refreshing to the soul: a goldfields Winter scene:

1374840824_p1020554_1.jpg

Photo 5: What I took home

1374840920_gold_finds_1.jpg

Very nice Willo. I enjoy reading of finds on old allegedly 'flogged' diggings. The image of the bedrock was very interesting - looks like a geological contact point hence the reason the old timers gave it a real good look. Some of that gold looks quite coarse and rough - I reckon you are very close to the source. They all look like nuggets - not species. Well done.

Latest posts