A Canberra relic hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I normally post my finds on another forum but thought I would post my finds for the first time here. I detected a spot that was a hut site from the mid to late 1800's. Finds included a rowing buckle piece, NSW Police button, Vicky pennies and HP and normal personal relic finds (thimbles, riding crop top, shoe tap, buttons, etc) Like the token as its a rare one.
1401871583_finds_4_june_14_011.jpg
1401871602_finds_4_june_14_013.jpg
1401871624_finds_4_june_14_012.jpg

That's a nice historic haul there Dutchy, I just love the 1800's stuff.

I for one am glad you decided to share them here and not on that "other" forum :)

Nugget said:
That's a nice historic haul there Dutchy, I just love the 1800's stuff.

I for one am glad you decided to share them here and not on that "other" forum :)

Thanks, but I did post them also on Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting. That forum is orientated around coin, relic and jewellery hunting while this one is concentrated on gold and gems. I find both interesting and mainly like to contribute here through advise and finds identification.

Dutchy (Jarhead)

Thanks the button is silver gilt/coated like they all were in those days. Most dug have lost the gilt and this one had at least 90% still left, my best NSW Police button find to date. The NSW Police buttons look exactly the same today. This one is circa 1880.

Top hall Dutchy. The Silver button is is a ripper. I have a few finds that haven't been posted on Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting.

I have a Rowing buckle from a 1850s site which I found a few years back. How about a complete Harmonica from the 1860s.

I will show and tell now that I can post links..

Cheers Gippy Grump...

Such a variation of finds, would love to find a token one day, don't think I've seen too many of them come out of SA on a regular basis, well done. :)

Hi Dutchy, I'm in the ACT and have been looking at getting into a bit of relic hunting. I haven't even bought a detector yet, bought a detector yet because I can't decide what's best for me. And I don't want to spend a fortune!. Any advice you can give me?
Cheers
Gards

Latest posts