A bit addicted to crevicing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was fishing miles up a stream about a year ago and bumped into a random guy digging into bedrock with a spoon... yep, digging into bedrock with a spoon. In the middle of no where. I never knew anything about crevicing at the time, so was a little creeped out and assumed the guy was possibly not right in the head. I built up the courage to have a talk with him to find out what was going on. I was fully prepared to use my fly rod as a weapon to defend myself from the crazy bloke digging into rocks with a spoon on a random stream in the middle of no where... and that was the day I found out about crevicing. Have been addicted ever since!

Have been lurking around the forum for a couple days. What an incredible amount of information!
Located near Geelong and I am considering joining the local prospecting club as I am finding it a little boring going out panning and crevicing by myself all the time. Hopefully I can meet a few decent people to spend a day with out in the bush, rather than just talking to myself for 8 hours.

I spend more time on streams with my crevicing kit than I do with a fishing rod these days. I have found some good gold. Nothing huge. nothing of any great value. But geez I'm having a ball doing it.

I do plan on getting a proper detector soon. I do have a cheaper $400 one and it's not much chop so I'll probably give it away to a younger kid to have fun with.
I have a lot of research to do in regards to getting a detector, but I will get something toward the higher end as I tend to like having the best stuff! Got a bit more saving to do though!

I'll keep lurking around stealing valuable information and maybe one day give some back! Cheers

Goldface said:
Hopefully I can meet a few decent people to spend a day with out in the bush, rather than just talking to myself for 8 hours.
If you find one , let me know from where.
I also dream about that happenning

G'day Goldface welcome to PA great intro story :Y: get up 10 post's and the members section will open up then you can join in the fun with organised meet ups. The fever is a good one to have and sounds like you won't be able to shake it any time soon. As far as top end gold detectors go the GPZ7000 is the weapon of choice, keep us up to date and hope to meet you in the fields one day.

RM Outback said:
G'day Goldface welcome to PA great intro story :Y: get up 10 post's and the members section will open up then you can join in the fun with organised meet ups. The fever is a good one to have and sounds like you won't be able to shake it any time soon. As far as top end gold detectors go the GPZ7000 is the weapon of choice, keep us up to date and hope to meet you in the fields one day.

Thanks for the welcome.
When I said top end, I probably should have looked at the price of top end Detectors first!!! The GPZ7000 looks the goods. Probably double of what I was thinking of spending though!

I do like the look of the Minelab SDC 2300. But I have a lot of research to do and try and figure out what I need. Cheers

The 2300 is a ripper on the small and porous gold :power: you won't be disappointed if you do get one.