5.5kg Gold Nugget found in Ballarat, VIC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
news.com.au said:
A WHOPPING 5.5kg gold nugget worth up to $300,000 has been found in bush near Ballarat.

The "incredibly rare" nugget was found 60cm underground by a prospector, who wishes to remain anonymous, on Wednesday.

Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner and dealer Cordell Kent said the prospector heard a faint noise on his detector and removed a dense pile of leaf mulch before he started digging.

"He thought he had detected the bonnet of a car when he saw a glint of gold," Mr Kent said.

"He cleaned the top of it and the gold kept expanding and expanding ... he saw more and more gold ... he couldnt believe what he was seeing."

The nugget is worth about $282,000 in weight, but has an added premium because it is rare to find one over a kilogram, Mr Kent said...

Source http://www.news.com.au/national/pro...allarat-victoria/story-fndo4cq1-1226555879738

Yes it was an amazing find wasn't it :). It was just on the news, which I missed and is going to be on morning show tomorrow on nine at 7.13am and then on seven at 7.40am. Dave that owns the Miners Den shops is on nine tomorrow and the owner of the gold shop in Ballarat on channel sevens show :)

Pete_The_Prospector said:
Ballarat is about to get busy ;)

Indeed it will, I just hope people adhere to the requirements of the Miners Right as my parents own a nice bit of land out that way and would not be pleased if someone trespasses and leaves holes all over the place afterwards (I haven't done any work on it yet as the housing market is slow further out West from the goldfields :( ).

Note: Edit's due to the ungoldly hour of my post :p

Same old story isn't it. A few bad eggs spoil it for those that do the right thing.

dave14110 said:
Same old story isn't it. A few bad eggs spoil it for those that do the right thing.

Indeed it does; that hasn't happened to us (knock on wood that does not change) but I've read various posts on fora similar to this one that are too numerous for me to dismiss as mischief only on the part of those with other non prospecting interests.

Late edit but a thread on the above topic has just picked up on another forum (no link as my post count is under 10 at this time but this should give enough of a clue golddetecting 4umer t12592-help-please ).

Latest posts