$1.4 million Treasure Found

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiron52

Dave
Reaction score
Chase is over: Decade-old $1.4 million treasure found in bush.

A treasure chest filled with gold and jewels valued at more than US$1 million (AU$1.4 million) has been found in the wilderness, after being hidden for nearly a decade.
89-year-old Forrest Fenn, who hid the treasure chest full of valuables in the Rocky Mountains, North America, in 2010, told the Santa Fe New Mexican that a finder located the chest last week.
Its true, Fenn said, adding the treasure had been found a few days ago.
"The guy who found it does not want his name mentioned," he said.
Fenn said an estimated 350,000 people had gone on the hunt for the treasure, with many quitting their jobs to pursue the hunt full-time, and some dying in the quest.
The Vietnam War veteran wanted treasure-hunters to take part in an adventure, and had posted clues online and in a 24-line poem published in his autobiography, The Thrill of the Chase.
It was one of the clues that led the finder to the chest, Fenn said in a statement on his website.
It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more than 10 years ago, Fenn wrote.
I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot.
Fenn said he packed and repacked his treasure chest for more than a decade, sprinkling in gold dust and adding hundreds of rare gold coins and gold nuggets.
Pre-Columbian animal figures went in, along with prehistoric mirrors of hammered gold, ancient Chinese faces carved from jade and antique jewellery with rubies and emeralds.
The told The New Mexican in 2017 that the chest weighed a whopping nine kilograms, and its contents weighed a further 10 kilograms.
"I congratulate the thousands of people who participated in the search and hope they will continue to be drawn by the promise of other discoveries," he said on his website.
Of the find, Fenn said it was bittersweet.
"I dont know, I feel halfway kind of glad, halfway kind of sad because the chase is over, Fenn said.

1591596835_aae0a520-a923-11ea-a3eb-cbc19cb7ae7f.jpg

With AAP.

It's a cool story, but in the absence of a finder proudly showing off his treasure, the obvious question arises: is any of it true?

Mr Fenn achieved some fame (or perhaps notoriety) and probably sold a heap of his books, so he's done quite well for himself already. No doubt there'll now be interviews and articles and perhaps another book or two, maybe even a movie to line his pockets further. An anonymous finder, who himself misses out on the obvious gravy train, seems all too convenient to me.

Interesting thought grubstake. He is either a genius creative marketer or a creative giving type.

I watched a programs fairly recently on this, and I would say that in the absence of proof, my BS detector is going off!

In this day and age, I can't see being able to keep such a find secret for very long, so I suspect if more info doesn't come out over the next few months, you can pretty much say the whole thing was a hoax..

Ever since I first read about this I was dubious. As the kids say, pics or it didnt happen.

However as a bit of folklore and entertainment its right up there, and it appears the story has come full circle.

OldGT said:
Ever since I first read about this I was dubious. As the kids say, pics or it didnt happen.

However as a bit of folklore and entertainment its right up there, and it appears the story has come full circle.

Agreed, but unless there is concrete proof one way or the other, I think the story will just carry on...

The old guy will peg it shortly, and there will be rumours the treasure is still out there ect and people will carry on looking.....

I fore see "The Curse of the Fenn Treasure" before too long! lol

A bit of undeniable proof would be a good thing.
But we can still enjoy a good tale for it's entertainment value.
I watched a few of the YouTube vids on haunted abandoned mines.
Did you hear that ........ did you see that ......... er no!
But did I still enjoy the video ....... shit yea! :Y:

Latest posts