4x4 winch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digger Danny said:
pjg100 said:
sususydney said:
Hi im looking to get an electric winch on the 80 series, preferable 9000lbs+ a working second hand one for reasonable price pm me thanks

Before you decide on a winch, you check the weight of the 80 series (current) and multiply that by 1.5x and that will give you the required winch capacity.

To reduce your front end weight, have the steel rope replaced with the nylon version.

And get yourself a recovery kit containing all of the goods.

Peter. :cool:

I would check formula for getting the correct winch capacity, X1.5 does not sound correct I would think at a minimum it would be X2.5 but I would get professional advice, not much good being undersize when you need it.

Cheers,
Rob :)

I'd go X3 as absolute minimum but of course - more is 'might'! :D

see below a guide for calculating potential Gradient and Surface resistance in various combinations situations.
1411041244_recovery_calculator.jpg

casper

LROCV#131

Hi all, I bought a pajero and had factory bull bar fitted. Dumb mistake.I now cant fit a winch. Whats the best hand winch to buy. Cheers

I ordered a winch-bar (steel) and purchased a 12000lb winch 2 yrs ago. My Nissan Pathfinder is very hard to accessorize. I waited approx 1.5 mths. for the bar to be made up in a store in Mt Barker S.A. As i was going down to Vic. for my father-in-laws 80th birthday i drove across to Adelaide -Mt Barker and had them professionally fit the bar and the remote control winch. Like most of us haven't had to used it yet, but when i need to at least I've got it, even if it is to pull a fallen tree from across a track etc.
Ah, all these toys we have. SIGH!!

some where I had an idea to tie a rope into a U bolts attached into the rims and wind it towards an anchor point? if no anchor point then a winch must be pointless too, I will probably get some treks and hilift jack is enough for the gear, as a winch is for the extreme 4wd, thanks for the awesome inputs guys, it has helped me and others

Latest posts