4x4 winch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi im looking to get an electric winch on the 80 series, preferable 9000lbs+ a working second hand one for reasonable price pm me thanks

I paid about $300 for a brand new 9500lb electric steel cable winch with wireless remote at SuperCheap for my 75 series. You have to wait until they go on their specials sale. I believe ALDI also have the same winch on special once a year for about the same price.

1405500029_image.jpg

1405500070_image.jpg

1405499913_image.jpg

You can replace the steel cable with nymea synthetic rope later for about $250.

Big thing is you need to make sure you have a winch capable rated bullbar or it will rip the winch with the bullbar attached straight off the front of the cruiser. I was lucky I had an early original TJM bullbar that was winch capable rated, they are bolted directly to the subframe and have all the attachment fixtures needed for the winch.

Hope this helps :D

bang for buck you cant go past a runva winch

personally i use warn winches, but they do cost a packet

I had one of the Supercheap ones on my Patrol - cost me under $400. Did a fantastic job in the hills around Coffs Harbour,

One thing I'd like to add is I bought the biggest and best winch for my cruiser ute about 8 years ago (warn) cost was about $2500.
Used it once and it wasn't even to help me it was to pull a trailer full of wood around a tight bush track, what a waist of money and sold it with the ute. One day if I need another one I'll get a cheep one probably a iron man as iv got a few mates that have them.

sususydney said:
Hi im looking to get an electric winch on the 80 series, preferable 9000lbs+ a working second hand one for reasonable price pm me thanks

Before you decide on a winch, you check the weight of the 80 series (current) and multiply that by 1.5x and that will give you the required winch capacity.

To reduce your front end weight, have the steel rope replaced with the nylon version.

And get yourself a recovery kit containing all of the goods.

Peter. :cool:

I also had my front end springs and shockies upgraded to cover off the extra weight of the winch up front.

And don't forget to get a winch cable dampner in case the cable snaps.

gcause said:
I also had my front end springs and shockies upgraded to cover off the extra weight of the winch up front.

If you have just acquired the 80, as gcause said he upgraded the front end. Personally, I would get the suspension checked all-round and if required get an upgrade all-round with a 2 inch lift but tell the installer that you have intension to install a winch and he can accommodate on the install.

The 80 series is a common land cruiser and most upgrades are cheaper than you think.

pjg100 said:
gcause said:

If you have just acquired the 80, as gcause said he upgraded the front end. Personally, I would get the suspension checked all-round and if required get an upgrade all-round with a 2 inch lift but tell the installer that you have intension to install a winch and he can accommodate on the install.

The 80 series is a common land cruiser and most upgrades are cheaper than you think.

Thats exactly what I did replaced everything with EFS the springs, shockies, 2 inch lift kit, all new bushes, shackles, etc. Then I bought my winch. :D

gcause said:
pjg100 said:
gcause said:

Thats exactly what I did replaced everything with EFS the springs, shockies, 2 inch lift kit, all new bushes, shackles, etc. Then I bought my winch. :D

Well I dont know but just listerning to you guys makes me think you've got more money than sense. Just bolt the bloody cheap winch (Which you,ll probably never use) onto the bloody thing and get out there looking for gold.
:rolleyes:

pjg100 said:
sususydney said:

Before you decide on a winch, you check the weight of the 80 series (current) and multiply that by 1.5x and that will give you the required winch capacity.

To reduce your front end weight, have the steel rope replaced with the nylon version.

And get yourself a recovery kit containing all of the goods.

I would check formula for getting the correct winch capacity, X1.5 does not sound correct I would think at a minimum it would be X2.5 but I would get professional advice, not much good being undersize when you need it.

Cheers,
Rob :)

Thanks for all the valuable info I will do more research; I've been to super cheap auto but its too expensive compare to the tigerz winch. I Will visit Aldi store soon; the weight of an 80 series is aproximately 2100kgs so I will need atleast a 6000lbs winch.

Bulldog said:
Well I dont know but just listerning to you guys makes me think you've got more money than sense. Just bolt the bloody cheap winch (Which you,ll probably never use) onto the bloody thing and get out there looking for gold.
:rolleyes:

I used mine many times in the 3 years I had mine on, I go to places alone and many times got stuck it saves hours digging getting out hard places where no-one will even find me for months. If you go out alone its a must if you go with others not really need it so much.

sususydney said:
Thanks for all the valuable info I will do more research; I've been to super cheap auto but its too expensive compare to the tigerz winch. I Will visit Aldi store soon; the weight of an 80 series is aproximately 2100kgs so I will need atleast a 6000lbs winch.

spend the extra the time you use it you want it to work :)

Hi
I would get the best winch you can afford. Check out reviews on some 4x4 sites. See what the others have. Same as detecting buy the best detector you can afford. You wouldn't use us an el cheapo detector in the goldfields. :)

gcause said:
pjg100 said:
gcause said:

I've read articles in 4x4 mags and been advised by experts that I should have all accessories, barwork, winch ect fitted before ugrading the suspension. Putting a 2"lift in first then putting the accessories, barwork, winch ect later will cause the suspension to drop back to the original ride height. So this is what I'll be doing when I upgrade this dico's suspension.
:) Mick

axeman said:
gcause said:
pjg100 said:
gcause said:

I've read articles in 4x4 mags and been advised by experts that I should have all accessories, barwork, winch ect fitted before ugrading the suspension. Putting a 2"lift in first then putting the accessories, barwork, winch ect later will cause the suspension to drop back to the original ride height. So this is what I'll be doing when I upgrade this dico's suspension.

That is a good tip, but luckily I bought it with the lift kits already and now I am worrying after fitting in the bull bar+ winch the suspension the weight might causes problems in the suspension.. but with out the winch I am kinda hestitate to go over those puddles I remember had to go out and find a stick and poke the wet ground at sunny corner tracks there haha im such a noob.

I'm buying a hand winch. The reason is that I've never used a winch and I've done plenty of off road, bush bashing. I've got a high lift jack that doubles as a winch and has got me out of some tight spots. Fair enough, if I had a winch I could have got out quicker. A hand winch can be used if I got no other choice and have to come out backwards.
I've been on greasy off camber tracks were the ute has gone sideways into a tree, using the high lift jack to pull it sideways and the hand winch to pull it forward I've got out of it unscaved.
If a hand winch or 12v electric becomes overloaded just use a block and double it up for twice the pulling power, it'll be slower that's all.

Gota agree with some of the other guys had a warn on my old truck never used it enough to warrant the cost and had to end up rebuilding the solenoids as they corroded up from no use I guess from all the Mluck that got washed up in them over time up Bush I just buy the best tyres keep a wallaby Jack in back and give it the berries when you c some bog hole up ahead happy driven.

Latest posts