4 x new cricket buckles and tokens

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

My current site that has given up 20 plus buckles last month and smaller relics. Yesterday the site yielded 4 more plus some tokens, a penny and some smaller relics. I'm really happy with the finds and two of them are very cool. I find it amusing one of the buckles actually has a cricket buckle depicted on it. The tokens are a Holloways HP and a James Campbell General Store Token plus a 1866 penny. The area has been smashed by others in the past but I'm concentrating on the trash pits. The CTX is able to locate the nice sounds among all the ferrous trash that that might have discouraged others in the past.

1478321530_img_2523.jpg

1478321530_img_2524.jpg

1478321530_img_2525.jpg

Still going strong there mate !
Love the buckle on buckle buckle !
They're all beauties hey !
8) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Wow Dutchy, they just keep coming! Is that the best site you've had so far with respect to cricket buckles? Looks like whoever previously hit the site was only doing coin targets vs relics. :)

Goldpick said:
Wow Dutchy, they just keep coming! Is that the best site you've had so far with respect to cricket buckles? Looks like whoever previously hit the site was only doing coin targets vs relics. :)

GP - Yes most defiantly the best site for cricket and that matter all buckles. Previously I would maybe get 2 or 3 on a site and think that's unreal. I found a number of buckles on goldfield sites but never so many in such an area. The area was occupied from the later 1860 to the 1880's. This just happened to be when cricket buckles were in fashion. I believe the past hunters were concentrating around the stone hearth sites and only a few m's out. The hut sites are clean with no sounds (previous hunters were getting most everything) The hut sites that have lots of ferrous material around them is where these and other finds are coming from. I also walked down ward about 25 to 50 m and once I hear grunting sounds (ferrous) on the CTX I slow down as I'm normally in a trash pit where a number of these buckles were thrown out. The heavier buckles sound like a coin and read around 42 on conduct (CTX). The smaller or thinner ones read in the 30's. Some of these buckles are also scratchy but the ferrous number are low.

Dutchy, they are top looking buckles that is for sure. It still amazes me how many different ones there are out there.

Funny that around here on Victorian era sites, many of those non coin targets are simply left in the ground by other detectorists due to not coming up as a favourable coin ID, especially the thin low conductor copper items. The result is that the more interesting relics are left behind ripe for the picking, though they would be kicking themselves if they knew what they had left in the ground.

Personally I really enjoy the relic side of thing, gives a good indication of how life was back in the day, and even more importantly, it paints a picture of the actual site and its relevance to local history. :)

Goldpick said:
Funny that around here on Victorian era sites, many of those non coin targets are simply left in the ground by other detectorists due to not coming up as a favourable coin ID, especially the thin low conductor copper items. The result is that the more interesting relics are left behind ripe for the picking, though they would be kicking themselves if they knew what they had left in the ground.

Personally I really enjoy the relic side of thing, gives a good indication of how life was back in the day, and even more importantly, it paints a picture of the actual site and its relevance to local history. :)

Not too smart as Gold sov and half sov sounds like relics. I dug a haf sov up near Beechworth and I thought it was just another pants button with its sound!

Latest posts