1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheels for the trailer
1506381073_22016757_10210092420851533_1096515469_o.jpg

Should look real nice with those wheels :Y: I like Trailers and campers with matching wheels and it makes things easier than carrying 2 different size spares....

LW...

Ok here is the good news.
The stud pattern on the Prado rims matches up with the studs pattern on the camper.
Problem, when I put the wheels on the axle , the inside of the tire hits the inside verticle surface of the wheel arch.
I'm guessing the only way to fix this, is to change the current shaft for a slightly longer/wider shaft.. I need to move the hubs out at least 3 inches either side to give me inside clearance from the inner vertical surface of the wheel arch :(
Cost:
To just replace current axle shaft and use my hubs and bearings - (1,490 x 40mm) shaft with 1610x40mm
cost $182
Replace shaft and upgrade to 45mm shaft, including bearing seals, spacers,6 stud land cruiser hubs.
Cost $280

There are hubs available to do that.
Please do not think about wheel spacers.
Illegal and dangerous as the studs having to be so long,
Can snap off.
You can see that the center of the Mag Wheel does not
have any support.
Besides, Axles are not that expensive and also taking into consideration
the fact that all wheels on both the trailer and Prado will be the same
Pitch, Depth and center, Gives you peace of mind that you have plenty
of spares if you go bush a long way.
Also, Check to see that if you put a longer axle in, The wheels will be the
same width as the Prado.
This means that the trailer will track within the same foot print as the Prado.
Very high advantage in Mud and sand.

Thanks Doug
Once I replace the axle shaft or the complete unit.. shaft bearings hubs etc the trailer wheel width should be close to the same wheel width as the Prado. :Y:
Changing every thing and using Prado rims/tires on the trailer, will give me 4 spares to take with me on any long or extended trips.
Flexibility and peace of mind is what I am after..plus I am enjoying the mental and physical activity and also the satisfaction of doing things myself.
;)

Thought you might run into that issue.... That's why im doing the same and I will end up with a trailer track that is 25mm wider than my 4x4.. Make sure you have at least 50mm clearance each side on the inside between tyre and Trailer... Other advise I got when I made my enquiries was if you intend to run off-road tyres on 16" rims you need to use Landcruiser Bearings on the hub... 16" wheels are too big for Holden or Ford Bearings to cope with the Stresses of Off-road... In my case I also have to Machine down the Landcruiser Hub to suit the hole in my wheels by 3mm...

LW...

I also can see now what the engine light issue you had was most likely.
When I pulled the front of my motor to replace the timing belt, I checked
the timing manually.
It was one tooth retarded. :eek:
This only would have shown up if I would have gone very high in Rev's. I don't rev the bag
out of an engine.
Also explained why I needed a Mobile Bowser behind me.
I spent a good while setting every thing back up properly and Crickey,
The Prado now gets up and goes like a freight train. Almost like having an extra gear. LOL
And is using a heck of a lot less fuel. :cool: :cool:
I would say that your old motor would have been a tooth out some where hence causing the light issue.
This can also cause overheating issues as well.
The engine management system in these Prado's can be easily fooled as they are not overly intelligent.
Then they learn the wrong thing.
Any way, Nothing beats a challenge. :) :)
Do what I do,
The 4 F's,
Find the Fault, :Y:
Prove the Fault, :Y:
Fix the Fault, :Y:
Forget it. :Y:

That is interesting feed back on your engine Doug. Something I will look at when we pull it out and exchange with the replacement engine..
Here is a picture of your digital Clock;
1506409019_22050434_10210094123374095_552471940_o.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the bearings Lone Wolf.
Sound like something I will have to bring up with the local trailer parts suppler, before I buy anything.
No point getting ford bearings if they are going to easily wear out on me..that was the whole point of getting them new , so they last longer.

:Y:

Make sure you tell him what size wheels and tyres you want to use and im sure he can advise on what to use.... :Y:
Im building my Trailer to carry around 1 ton of gear... Us Fossickers carry lots of rocks around with us you know ]:D .... Building it for a Harts Range/ Red Centre Trip next year... You may get away with LM or SL bearings( holden or ford) as you wont be carrying too much weight... In my case I need a new Axle to match my 4x4 wheelbase, so may as well build Something that will go the Distance with-out any dramas.... :cool:

LW....

G'day LW
I have the trailer up on stands ready to remove the wheels and then tackle taking off the hubs and axle in the morning.
It will also give me a good oportuning to see if any thing else needs replacing i.e leaf springs D shackles or bolts etc..

Once I have the axle removed, I can measure it and or take it to the trailer store to get the correct replacement axle , hubs bearings etc
Don't worry, I want to make sure to get the right axle size- length and also the heavy duty bearings that will support the Prado rims/tires.

Like you, I want to make sure when the the trailer is finished, it can handle a decent load and wont have issues on the highway or when I take it off road in the bush or out back.
I've installed a galvanised caravan water tank at the back wall of the trailer ( 80 litres=80 kg) and I have to counter balance that weight at the front.
I'll do that by putting a tool box on the draw bar to carrying a deep cycle batter an extra spare wheel and a gas bottle. Then on the inside of the trailer at the front wall , I am putting in a slide out kitchen unit.
Something I still have to get built..
1506424807_kitchen_plan.jpg

Nice Cad work nucopia :Y: ... I haven't got my trailer yet so I can't Play with it. :( .... It's sitting in a mates workshop at Inverell waiting for me to come down and give further instructions on what I want/need. Or so He says.. More than likely he needs a Drinking Buddy. :lol: . A good excuse for a week away anyhow... Now to find that Week.. :rolleyes:

Your Build is coming along Nicely... Sounds like it will be a very nice rig when finished... The way I look at it, Do it once and do it Right.... :Y: Two things I need to think about is Brakes... Electric or Hydraulic or Boat Anchor :lol: and an off-road Tow Hitch... The List just keeps growing doesn't it.. :rolleyes: :Y:

LW...

That is the problem LW the list keeps growing
Funny a year ago I started out intending to not spend too much time or money to get it back on the road and start using it.
Just a paint job clean the canvas and a few small low cost improvements.
Here I am a year later and its still not finished.. Any way it will keep my busy for the next few weeks, while I wait for my mate to get the Pado fixed.
Another thing on the never ending " to do list" hopefully I can tick a few things off the list before Christmas and finally get it out bush some where ;)

Thanks for that.
I also need the two little pegs that go behind the set buttons.
It is one of those I lost. :8

nucopia said:
That is interesting feed back on your engine Doug. Something I will look at when we pull it out and exchange with the replacement engine..
Here is a picture of your digital Clock;
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...19_22050434_10210094123374095_552471940_o.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the bearings Lone Wolf.
Sound like something I will have to bring up with the local trailer parts suppler, before I buy anything.
No point getting ford bearings if they are going to easily wear out on me..that was the whole point of getting them new , so they last longer.

:Y:

I have both the pegs but some how, I have misplaced one of the rubber cups that attaches to it.. I have to pull out the seats on Friday, so I will look for it then.
Bloody thing could not have gone far.

G-day Nucopia, I use a Toilet roll for my 'To Do List' :lol: ....Another 'Tip' I was given was Don't Weld across the Draw bar.. This creates a weak spot and will cause a bend or worse a Broken Draw Bar...It is ok to weld along but not across... As per pic... :Y: I see so many Trailers with welds across the Bar.... :rolleyes:

1506488603_drawbar-welding-1.jpg

I was thinking when you said you need to put things on the front of the Drawbar this might come in handy for you.. :Y:

LW..

Latest posts