'1939-45 Star' medal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a fantastic result Silver_fox, you should feel very proud of yourself.

Not only does it show your an outstanding person but it also shows how important detecting is to uncovering our history.

Well done mate.

Regards

Lambi

Thanks Lambi :8

I'm looking forward in seeing the lady's face when she gets the medal back :)

Absolutely fantastic SF!!!!

Monty

Silver_Fox said:
Just a quick update for those interested :)

I got an email from the War Memorial a while back letting me know that the the owner of the Service Medal died back in 1999. The lady said she will try and track down any family members that would be interested in having the medal back.
Today I got a call from the War Memorial. The lady I spoke to was very excited. She told me the daughter contacted her today and was over the moon that the medal had been found, her brother was blamed for the loss of it a long time ago.

Apparently her father was the President of the RSL club in Canberra at one stage and was well known. The daughter lives interstate now but will be in Canberra next month, she would like to meet up with me. The War Memorial has asked if they could get the press involved with camera crews and all, unfortunately I turned them down, bit too shy for that! They gave me a second option which was for a story to be written with pictures that would be put on their blog site and it will be opened to the press. I did agreed to that.
The lady said they have just put in a grant to get the War Memorial database expanded, she said this is just the story to help get it approved!

Well there you go!

SF

Went to thank you with the thumbs up but it's now for 'Like this Post'.... oh well, thanks Monty :D

Monty said:
Absolutely fantastic SF!!!!

Monty

Silver_Fox said:

I got an email from the War Memorial a while back letting me know that the the owner of the Service Medal died back in 1999. The lady said she will try and track down any family members that would be interested in having the medal back.
Today I got a call from the War Memorial. The lady I spoke to was very excited. She told me the daughter contacted her today and was over the moon that the medal had been found, her brother was blamed for the loss of it a long time ago.

Apparently her father was the President of the RSL club in Canberra at one stage and was well known. The daughter lives interstate now but will be in Canberra next month, she would like to meet up with me. The War Memorial has asked if they could get the press involved with camera crews and all, unfortunately I turned them down, bit too shy for that! They gave me a second option which was for a story to be written with pictures that would be put on their blog site and it will be opened to the press. I did agreed to that.
The lady said they have just put in a grant to get the War Memorial database expanded, she said this is just the story to help get it approved!

Well there you go!

SF

Hi SF
;) No problems. ;)
Looking forward to the reunion of medal and family. What a wonderful event! :)
Cheers Monty

You mean Silver_Fox ;)

Today the ACT Heritage Library organised a meet up with the medal owners daughter, that will happen on the 30th June.

For more updates you're gonna have to wait till then ;)

Mackka said:
Hey Monty don,t keep me in suspenders what has happened since?
Cheers
Mackka

Silver_Fox said:

Well there you go!

SF

Great story and awesome outcome Silver Fox. Well done.

This story makes me proud to be involved with such a great bunch of guys / gals. It is inspiring and can't you feel for the relatives of this guy and the members of his RSL.
Fantastic news. :)

Hi All,

I have been waiting on the ACT Historic Society to get back to me with something... but no!

A couple of months ago now I reunited the war medal with the owners daughter Pam. It was a great (bloody freezing) afternoon. The Historic Society did some research on the 'Corrigan' family, some really interesting stories were told.

Anyway, my wife works in Publishing and she came across part of the story in the TAMS report! When you open the link go to page 11 :)

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/643836/TAMS-Annual-Report-V1-Screen.pdf

SF