1835 shilling in as found condition

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would love someone to help me get a rough
1429184921_image.jpg
valuation on my 1835 shilling I found last week near Dunolly

Good find! What does the other side look like?

If you intend to try to sell it do not clean it beyond a bit of soapy water.

please wash off soil on all good finds with de-ionised water otherwise I'll cry 8.(

(especially bronze and copper coins)

This is the other side of the coin. As this was very close to the surface and I presume many fires had gone through the area since it was lost there are scorch marks on it. So they are still there and I am not wanting to clean it
1429229229_image.jpg

The true value is in how you feel when showing a 180 year old coin to others that think you are a nutter in your new hobby. A very cool piece of Australian history!

The value of this coin is priceless in the memories of the how, why and where you found.

P.S If the coin is valued in the $1000s please disregard the above advice. :lol:

nice coin and I couldn't agree more with retirement stone's comments. anything this old just doesn't come up that often.

It is a nice coin and a great find, value wise it is not a very good coin. However that sometimes does not matter if the year is a rare one, and for that reason until you know for sure you should never clean a coin or try to wash,brush it etc... Once you know then you can do as you please. As suggested De-ionised water as this will not add any irons to the mix and risk any potential cross contamination in years down the track.

To grade coins and notes it is all down to condition and detail. The first is the Obverse (Normally the monarch/face) Then the Reverse which is normally a design.

The grades go from Good (Which is actually very bad) right up the Gem/FDC which is the best you can get. Proofs fall into this area as well but will have polished surfaces. Grades go like this Good (G) Very Good (VG) Fine (Fine) Very Fine (VF) Uncirculated (UNC) and then Proofs/Gem. There is also an abbreviation for almost a grade and some people will add a Plus to it. So you may see a UNC which will mean almost uncirculated. Or VF+ so it is a Very Fine grade but a top level in that grade, but not good enough to grade up to a UNC because of some damage somewhere.

Generally speaking you want a coin in the VF - UNC range to have some chance at value.

For a very good reference and starting point look at this PDF put out by the Australian Numismatics Dealers Association ANDA

http://www.anda.com.au/documents/resource/00114_Pt 2 - Grading Commonwealth coins.pdf

Nice looking(very old) coin GG,... funny hairdo back then(up the top).

Latest posts