14 Incredible Archaeological Discoveries Made In 2015

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit dismissive of aboriginal culture saying we have no history.
You won, t find ancient tombs or gold coins, but if you looked, you might find cave paintings of things like Thylacines (Tasmainian tigers)in places like the NT, that are on stone walls, 30m above ground level......which might give you an indication of where the ground level was 25,000 years before, and a clue as to where ancient rivers ran also.....or maybe some stone tools in a comfortable place, with rocks that are not found in the general area. Shell middens etc.
In WA, the Kimberly for example, you might find paintings of Dutch ships that predate euro settlement by a couple of hundred years, and if people went looking, I definatley believe that evidence of Dutch exploration would be found in WA as well as survivors of ship wrecks.
Here in the NT, Macassin, s visited the Younglu people in East Arhnemland, 100, s of years before europeans, Macassin swords and axes have been found in the gove area a A school kid found an old swivel gun near dundee, not far from darwin, dated to about 1750.
Problem is, Australia is such a huge place, and sparsly populated by people too busy to look for stuff that might or might not be there.....

http://www.smh.com.au/national/cannon-found-on-nt-beach-said-to-predate-cook-20131212-2zaad.html

I the the part about the 5 african coins over 1000 years old found.
I have read something else about this, found by a service man on the Wessel islands off Gove apparently, wouldnt mind betting they can be traced to the Maccasins.

I've been lead too believe Australia has been a Gold source for early Egyptian/Phoenician. A fair few things have been found left behind from them here. Their is also a fair bit of history too it in my own town which is very interesting too me. Apparently traces of gold here have been found in the tombs of Eqypt? Quiet an amazing thing too think about really.

Could be all wise tails and coincidently info has been bought too form this as this is just from what ive read.. But I hope others find it as interesting as I do

Cody

davent said:
bit dismissive of aboriginal culture saying we have no history.
You won, t find ancient tombs or gold coins, but if you looked, you might find cave paintings of things like Thylacines (Tasmainian tigers)in places like the NT, that are on stone walls, 30m above ground level......which might give you an indication of where the ground level was 25,000 years before, and a clue as to where ancient rivers ran also.....or maybe some stone tools in a comfortable place, with rocks that are not found in the general area. Shell middens etc.
In WA, the Kimberly for example, you might find paintings of Dutch ships that predate euro settlement by a couple of hundred years, and if people went looking, I definatley believe that evidence of Dutch exploration would be found in WA as well as survivors of ship wrecks.
Here in the NT, Macassin, s visited the Younglu people in East Arhnemland, 100, s of years before europeans, Macassin swords and axes have been found in the gove area a A school kid found an old swivel gun near dundee, not far from darwin, dated to about 1750.
Problem is, Australia is such a huge place, and sparsly populated by people too busy to look for stuff that might or might not be there.....

http://www.smh.com.au/national/cannon-found-on-nt-beach-said-to-predate-cook-20131212-2zaad.html

I knew someone would call me on this and fair enough too. What I should have said is that we have very little archaeology.
As a history lover I have read a fair bit of Australian history before we Europeans invaded. Like a lot of cultures many indigenous artifacts were made from organic matter, bones, animal skins, wood etc and don't survive. One really good book I have read is "Archaeology of the Dreamtime." I highly recommend it if you are interested in the history of Australia's first people.

I apologize if my previous statement offended anyone.

Jaros said:
Makes you wish we had that sort of history here in Australia-doesn't it?

Plenty of history in some parts of Australia, especially from those who brought belongings across the ocean back in the day.

Even searching around a lot of the old Cornish buildings in SA turn up a lot of history. Worth searching around coastal areas also, never know who made it to Australia before the First Fleet etc, probably got speared to death.

No worries.

One thing I find I am continually arguing about, considering I live in area with a high turnover of europeans, both fifo workers and back packers and a high population of indigenous Australians, is reminding all those who want to argue about us whiteys taking everything from the original inhabitants.
I would remind them that Australia was not colonised by ambitious free settelers, but by criminals sentenced to deportation to the new colonies and those others here to support them.
Australia was administered by England untill 1901. If anyone should compensate and appologise to the Australian Aboriginals, it should first come from the British, then from the others.
Nothing gets me more fired up than some do gooder, holier than though pommy backpacker lecturing me on "our" early treatment of Australias first inhabitants.

Dug a couple of my books out. Good reading.

1451894588_img_201601041075.jpg

Latest posts