12v power outlet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowflow

Barry
Reaction score
I'm looking for a reasonable flush mounted 12v cigarette type power outlet with a 15amp rating. Just a small chrome outer bezel like the cheapies. Need to be a bit fussy because of a very picky kitchen tiger & fitting to a new camper.

Any leads appreciated, thanks.

Barry

Hi Barry,

I find these good to use

1396559125_12vplug.png

1396559125_12vsocket.png

And I find this distributor very good for this gear.

http://www.12volt.com.au/

rgds

(Also called Barry)

Yeh I use those too Baz but I am also looking a a flush mount cigarette socket and theyre not cheap. Search Ebay with that exact description and you will trip over them. Cheapest I found were $19.

1396563516_image.jpg

You can find those 2 pin plugs and sockets at Jaycar much cheaper than Ebay atm.

A normal cigarette socket/plug is rated to 10amps, a good quality Merit socket/plug (provided that it is rated ie Jaycar) is rated to 15amps.

However, a few things you need to be aware of -

In my vehicle the rear has 2 x cigarette sockets, even though each socket is rated to 10amps stand alone, the wiring to the sockets is rated to 10amps total when both are being used ie 5amps each or whatever combination adds to 10amps.

If this is a new connection, then the wiring needs to be capable of handling 15amps and depending upon the distance between the socket and the source ie battery, of a gauge that will eliminate voltage drop.

The fuse will obviously need to be 15amps between the source and socket, but be aware that this protects the wiring, not the device you are plugging in. So if you plug in a 5 amp rated device, then you need a 5amp fuse between the plug and the device as well.

Let me know if you need further explanation.

Thanks, I will have to keep looking or change the original fitting too.
I will run 8mm square twin for this application as there is a constant 6 amp draw to keep this old blokes cpap going, thanks for the offer. :) I will fuse both ends & sockets as individuals. The wiring has to be replaced, these Avan's are built cheap. would you believe 180 amp hour battery, the were told the draw, it is fused with 5 amps and the wire looks like fuse wire too given the length of run. end of rant. Took 4 days but it blew, my fault as I should have checked. :8

Hi Casper
Had trouble with one of those plugs,which I use to connect my solar panels to my inside system on my van.Where the metals are pressed together,they formed a barrier between the metals and just would not pass the current.When I fitted a new one I bond the metal with a tiny electronic welder that I have.
So they are not bullet proof.

Thedigger

These are the rules I play by;

If it's permanent, use the correct wire for the load and fuse/circuit break (CCT) it.
If it needs to be a plug then;
Up to 10amps total load, a cig lighter plug/socket is fine,
From 10-15amps then use a Merit connection, also good for a more positive connection, and
For anything over 15amps use an Anderson Plug connection.

The only exception I use, is the Engel in the back of the 4x4, I have a socket/plug that is Engel OEM and is both keyed for polarity and screw bezel connected.

Casper It did not get hot,no discoloring,just bad connection,no problem since modified it.

TheDigger

I have merit plugs, 2 in the grill of the cruiser, one for each battery, two at the rear wired off the spare battery, three in the camper, plus one for the fridge and one for the fridge in the cruiser and my spare portable battery packs have two fitted to each pack, the battery charger has them fitted so I can just plug into the battery packs or either battery in the cruiser as do all me lights ,,,they are the best, never come lose, I have place a switch in the line so I can turn off anything that is plugged into a merit without the need to unplug it

Latest posts