12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I just had some messages advising that some people can't make the group day this Saturday 26th - the location is around Scarsdale Area Ballarat - for anyone interested there is now 2 - possibly 3 positions available.

If you can send me a PM regarding your interest and I can advise all details - I wont be holding anymore of these groups days until possibly next year if at all. Only for a selected group of people who have shown very keen interest and have been added to my list for next year

Thanks

Hi ML
Carn't make the 26th but keep me in mind for the Maryborough option next year.
I will ping you when I am heading up there.
Great post, great read.
good luck on the weekend.

Scotty

Leroy said:
Hi MG, having trouble with our Wi-Fi connection for two days now have PM'd you re the 26th.

Hi Leroy,

I noticed your interest a while ago and P.M'd you on the 18th October with no response back.

If you can shoot through a PM I will respond.

Regards M.G

Leroy said:
MG, just pm'd you x 2' I hope they are getting through.

Nope nothing at all, I will send a PM to you with my email address - let me know on the thread if you receive the PM - if not I will post up my email address for you to make contact.

All good Leroy,

I sent through a PM to you just before, after just arriving home - and yep many messages to reply and get GPS Co-Ords out to those joining us for the day in the fields this coming Saturday.

Will be a great day - many things to discuss and another operator joining us who has a big arsenal of coils for those to test depth vs target vs coil.

Hi All,

Back out for a couple of hours today - excellent cool weather for digging deep holes, I didnt want to expel too much energy, so I went to an area in close walking distance of where the vehicle was parked. I have been to this spot many times and it keeps giving - as we know we cant get all the targets even if we grid, walk one way then cross cut in another direction even coming back over from the diagonal, and spend months in the area, changing coils in certain spots where needed to gain the depth size or even the little coils in the tightest dense area's - taking away every little stick branch rock and blade of grass possible. We can only do our best

I move a certain amount of sticks or big rocks if needed but I think there is a line - in saying this if the area was a very rich spot then yeah by all means hit it as hard as you can and anything needed to gain that extra advantage in the hunt - go for it. Everyone has a strategy that works for them - some may need to pick up some extra tips and increase their strategy to gain that extra little bit of gold.

Enough preaching - so today I was nice and relaxed as I ventured into the area - getting a slight EMI Interference from the high voltage overheads - again simply tune away and keep going, and the constant little warble every now and then is no where near as bad as very hot ground - so any change in the threshold for a target in the ground was easily distinguished.

So after a couple of hours I have a lot to show for my efforts in digging and adding another 25 feet of holes to my tally - the joys of the hunt

1. In this image you can see a very nice depth to this hole - almost the length/depth of the Mid Size pick - and there we have it - Flat Brass
1480063953_pic_0836.jpg

1480063964_pic_0837.jpg

1480063976_pic_0838.jpg

2. After hunting away and hitting some excellent tones in the ground - this is what it is all about, digging more 1 to 1 1/2 foot holes - unearthing targets that no one has ever found, any of these could have well and truly been a gold target - and the big chunky rust nuggets - well they would have been a nice addition if the color was right. I think I have said it before, keeping that positive mindset on every target is the best - rather than getting annoyed with it not being gold - I always say well onto the next target and that could have easily been gold, and I think imagine if it was, what a nice size piece it would have been.
1480064245_pic_0839.jpg

I dont post up my photo's of everything that I dig - mainly only relics or mostly the gold digs for you all - the reason I take images of the gold finds are for ground and mineral makeup images for you all to see - depth and what is under the gold when I dig them - as for the rust nuggets I dont think you all want to see 100's photo's with what the ground, soils, rocks, and mineral makeup is associated with them :)

I will post up details of our group day tomorrow

So looking forward to meeting up tomorrow MG , may the yellow follow us and have a great day whatever the outcome.

Cheers

Just a quick comment, the level that you found the brass object, would that have been the original ground level. The dirt above it looks like fill to me

cheers Keith

xcvator said:
Just a quick comment, the level that you found the brass object, would that have been the original ground level. The dirt above it looks like fill to me

cheers Keith

Great Observation Keith - thats 100% correct - this was dirt from test hole - I was pretty much in between multiple test holes along side the main gully - almost mullock cross saddle area.

And the brass was flat in the ground - I think at that depth the detector would not have interpreted if it was sideways, I pretty much dug to the exact level and scratched the dirt away from the top to see the piece sitting flat.

The signal response was pretty even in all directions due to the depth. And very soft but definitely worth the scratch. I didnt quite hit the original surface level - but I reckon it would have been close to seeing top soils.

Firstly thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience of the gold fields.
I have been detecting for several years now and have found gold in some very interesting places and locations. I have posted several photos some time ago but none lately. Not to say I have not found gold lately, just that I found some folk questions or comments raking for info a bit much at times.
One of the areas I travel to is half hour away from my home, it has several large gullies all worked hard for the gold back in the day, It is one of those locations that doesn't really inspire you with hope of rich pickings, but it has consistently delivered for me.. Not the big one yet, but enough to keep me looking. I took another fella I took along one trip out to try out his new Z and he has been finding a lot more than I. But I think it's more down to the fact he is retired and out there more than me??
His last piece was 51gm, I hope to get a pic up next I see him, and his gold.
Any way, reading through earlier you asked for some contributions, I hope this ads to the discussion.
The area I have been going for some time, I have found holes being dug, and the dirt removed leaving a 1m x 1m hole. Obviously some one sampling the ground. More and more holes were turning up over the next 6 months, in almost all gullies that had a track through them. One Sunday me and the Mrs went out, really just to give the dog a run so I took the 5000 and while we were walking along a ridge we found a nice little lump about .75gm, so after another 30 minutes or so headed back to the car for a beer and pack up to head home about 4pm.
Out of nowhere this 4x4 comes tearing up to us and this old timer gets out.. He asks what were up to and have a bit of a chat, anyhow I tell him we found a piece of gold no more than 150m from the car. I had to show him because he didn't believe us, then he begins telling a us this gully has no gold.. I've been looking every where.. I ask, if it has been him digging the holes every where,
Yes he says.. He then asked to be taken to the exact spot I found the gold. So I take him out to the general location then he says " I will give you two weeks to come back and look for more gold" after that I will come here and dig some sample holes.

Well If any one had the gold bug it was this bloke.. He asked me, what made you look here for gold? I said that I always look in the gullies that the miners had left.. He thought I was mad..
But couldn't believe that I found a piece where he was convinced carried no gold.
But I don't know how true this is but I said to him that "we were looking for two different things"
He was looking for the 3oz per barrow ground.. I'm happy with the nuggets?
He then told me that he lost a compass on the same ridge, "if you find it drop home for me" (Mod Edit... Personally identifiable information)

Well, I continue to search out the un mined gullies and ridges. Some days are better than others but learning as I go, reading the ground and vegetation.
I have been FIFO for some years now and been most places around the country, I'm always on the look out for gold country.. What ever and where ever i might be, This is my first post for some time and work permitting not my last.
Keep up the Passion Minelab Gold.

Regards Rambling Rude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts