100 oz Club

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I often do, I was going over some notes in my mining journal and found some advice from a successful miner in his 70s. This entry was from many years ago when we were just starting out with this prospecting business and I remember asking him what I would need to be a good miner. My question was geared towards a simpler response regarding equipment and books to quickly find gold but what he offered was much deeper than I was expecting. This miner was a bit odd, but well respected as he was rumored to be the grandmaster of the 100 oz club and instead of listing specific tools and equipment to find buckets of gold he looked at me and said you need to be stubborn and not give up easily. Next he said (as he waved his arm around his head) youll need to be very perceptive of your environment; from the mountains to the sand in your pan. Youll also need to be very resourceful and make the best of what you have; because that's all you have... and with a grin he said being a little crazy might just get that big nugget, or get you killed... And finally you just have to be dam lucky, plain and simple... Now almost 10 years later I stumble across these wise words and realize that 3 out of 5 doesnt get you into the 100 oz club...

Well Rotgrub, 3 out of 5 ain't bad and it also means your over half way there.

By the look of your videos mate you definitely are resourceful and determined....some of those holes you dig are huge and maybe that shows your a bit stubborn too but in a good way as in you don't give up easily.

You might be a tad crazy camping out there with mountain lions and bears so that just leaves the luck part. Sooner or later we all have a bit of luck and surely yours will be on its way to you soon.

Myself, well, I would be happy to join the 1 Oz club first before attempting the dizzy hieghts of the 100 Oz club. :D

Good luck mate

MJB, we're gona need some luck on this next hole. Last weekend we started a new test hole about 50' south of TP2. We punched a hole to approximately 5' deep and found a clay layer which I thought was the same decomposing bedrock as we encountered in TP1 & 2. But my stubbornness once again overcame me and I decided to try to punch through this clay layer; again... I was quite surprised to find this layer was only 6" thick and just below was another gravel bed. That was great news as it might be the original creek bed loaded with gold. Then reality quickly sunk in as I realized that we'll need to move approximately 5' of overburden to get to this potential material. We have no idea of the depth of this gravel bed or if it will contain gold... It could be only a few more feet to bedrock or several which would make it unfeasible to mine with pick and shovel. By Sunday afternoon we had opened this pit to a 5' x 5' x 3.5' deep... We're committed now and we cant wait for this weekend to arrive. Stubborn; check, crazy; no question, resourceful; absolutely, perceptive; I hope so and lucky; we shall find that out in a few more weeks...

How about a couple of pics RotGrub? I'm sure a few members would like to see where (the counrtyside) you're working and the holes you're sinking. I know i would.

Scrounger, there are a few videos of my adventures posted in the video section. I should be posting a new video soon. You can always check out my YT channel where many videos are posted.

Thanks for your interest.

Ok, thanks mate, i didn't realise. I don't watch them very often but i'll definitely check them out.

Hey RotGrub, watched a couple of your vids last night. Good stuff and thanks for sharing.

Latest posts