10 Shillings Note

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so not sure where to post this. I have found a 10 shillings note in amazing condition. Looks like it was printed today (obviously not). Does anyone know the value of these?

I also gave found some bakers tokens that I am curious about. Date back to the 1920s. :)

Hi mel, depends on the year, Check out Ebay it will give you the best idea of what there getting. Cheers Balx

Welcome Mel, any chance of uploading a photo to give us a bit more of an idea as to which print you have?

Sure! Thank you!!

By "found" I mean acquiring just covering my basis here given I am new to this site. It has no year markings but apparently they don't.
1393481218_img_5782.jpg

Hi Mel. Welcome to PA.
Interesting find.
We all love a good detective story.
A bit like hunting gold or gems... the satisfaction of the hunt is a thrill.
More research required.

Cheers

Ramjet

The note is a 1939 printing & the signatures were only used for 3 years , so is a good note

BUT is certainly not "Mint condition" & I would grade it as Fine , which in 2012 was valued at $175

Cheers Paul

After a bit of searching I was going to say 1952, but I think headbut is on the money as the signatures match up on the 1939 note.

Great acquisition by the way :)

Hi mel. Welcome to the forum.
Yes the note is in amazing condition for a find , in the collectors world it would be considered good but not mint condition ,
Colectors keep these things in a album and only turn the pages with tweezers while wearing gloves.
There are a few places in sydney that will pay cash for notes like these check them out on thevweb
As for the tokens it depends if they were company tokens for use in a company store.
Example
If bhp had a brewery on site and paid its employees in some cash and some beer tokens and some butcher tokens
And some bakery tokens

Please put up a pic
Mike

Howdy All,
A Ten Shilling Sheehan/McFarlane with a general prefix in Fine condition is currently valued at around $265.
Cheers

Wow thanks so much for all your help!! Really appreciative. Think this forum is going to curve my inner fascination with history and finding people that like it as much as I do. :)

In terms of bakers tokens I have a family history behind one of them. It's a G L Millington Bakers Token. Try and cut the long story short. I called my grandmother and grandfather today about the shillings note and we got onto the subject of tokens as I mentioned there was a few I had my eye on at an auction. My grandmother was explaining (again hehe) about our family history in Newcastle of the Millington Bakery at Tarro (her father's bakery) and the ShoeSmith Bakery (my grandfather's father's store). There was a few ShoeSmith Bakeries but only 1 Millington Bakery. My great grandfather had tokens printed for the bakery but once they arrived the tokens were about to be removed so he threw them out in the bakery bin, therefore the Millington Tokens were never circulated. So after our conversation I jumped online to just have a search on baker token values given curiosity and to my shock and beyond belief I found a G L Millington Bakers Token on ebay with only 9 hours to go!! (Talk about fate and the universe setting me on a path immediately). My grandmother was never given anything from her father's bakery as a very nasty person in our family took it from underneath her and she has never seen anything from the bakery since and given they were never used or circulated she is overwhelmed that I have so randomly found something so rare and sentimental to our family. Sooooo that's the token story but I do have some others I am considering buying from this man as well for around $10 each. They are from late 1800 to mid 1900. Not sure of value but all are from Newcastle.

Hi mel the best bit of advice for the bank note, and the tokens would be to have them appraised by a numismatic. Some tokens are worth a fortune if they are rare, yours being uncirculated might be worth something. Hope this helps.
cheers Rob ;)

I think I did see them today Pete!

Thanks Beach Detecting Agent! Is there anywhere in Newcastle that does this?

Hi Mel there is a coin dealer on hunter street Newcastle, used to belong to Paul Melmeth. I think it is now run by one off his sons.
It also depends on the signatures on the bank note, and its condition of course. The phone number is 49 263357.
cheers Rob

Mel.Cole said:

beach detecting addict said:
Hi Mel there is a coin dealer on hunter street Newcastle, used to belong to Paul Melmeth. I think it is now run by one off his sons.
It also depends on the signatures on the bank note, and its condition of course. The phone number is 49 263357.
cheers Rob

Mel.Cole said:

Please do yourself a favour and dont go to Newcastle coin shop, I know the fella and he is an Ex Tax Auditor, and a complete tosser.
I have taken a few coins into him just to get a reaction, and when he says things like "That coin is worthless as it has marks on it" referring to a recent coin I sold to a dealer in Melbourne, when the coin is actually worth around $30,000, just makes me sick. If you want to get something looked at let me know via a PM and I will guide you in the right direction. I have been in the coin game for many years, and most people will try and rip you of blind 8)
Sad but True :(

McDonalds Coin and Banknote Guide, about $18.00, has a lot of tokens listed in it as well. The banknote looks clean but has a lot of creases which will lower the value. The token looks in magnificent condition.

Hi Pete the prospector what was the coin you sold in Melbourne? I have not had that experience with the guy in Newcastle, but I got the feeling I didn't like him. Paul was different though, shame about his passing like you I have been into coins for years. Might be best to shoot me a pm for privacy reasons mate, as I have been the recipient of thieves and lost thousands of dollars in coins and banknotes.

Mel might be best to see Steve Smith at monetarium in Sydney.

cheers Rob

Hey Pete! I am new to this forum so I can't work out how to PM you. Could you message me so I can just reply?
Thanks
:)

Latest posts