Around the parks with the Ace250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nasty ol beer bottle caps tend to alternate between a decent bell tone on both swings of the coil, to just one bell tone on one sweep, and a harsh single beep on the back swing of the coil. They also tend to jump around the 1c and 10c mark on the screen, whereas the goldies tend to stay put with no jumping all over the place. Goldies either give a nice smooth bell tone on both swings, or if at depth, only part bell tone vs that harsh half bell/half single beep of the cap.

This is all dependant on the depth of the target, and the effective depth range of the Ace's discrimination.

Sometimes it is just quicker to dig the beer bottle cap than stand there and procrastinate over whether to dig or not based on what the screen is telling you, plus you are doing a good deed cleaning up all the rubbish. ;)

They both sound very similar in pinpoint mode (true all-metal).

Does that sound right to you Silver? :)

Wolfau said:
My apoligies i type too fast and either leave words out
Or have spelling errors which dont make sense.

What i meant was try detecting the signal on the edge
Of the coil. If its a screw cap would the detector chirp?

Next time when your out bury a metal screw cap an inch
Or 2 in the ground and detect it normal way then try
detecting it on edge of coil and see if you get same
Result or if it chirps.
Oh.... Thanks , i get what your saying now. :8 Ill try that next time, that will be interesting to see .

Goldpick said:
The nasty ol beer bottle caps tend to alternate between a decent bell tone on both swings of the coil, to just one bell tone on one sweep, and a harsh single beep on the back swing of the coil. They also tend to jump around the 1c and 10c mark on the screen, whereas the goldies tend to stay put with no jumping all over the place. Goldies either give a nice smooth bell tone on both swings, or if at depth, only part bell tone vs that harsh half bell/half single beep of the cap.

This is all dependant on the depth of the target, and the effective depth range of the Ace's discrimination.

Sometimes it is just quicker to dig the beer bottle cap than stand there and procrastinate over whether to dig or not based on what the screen is telling you, plus you are doing a good deed cleaning up all the rubbish. ;)

Different machine but same result. If the cap is at just the right depth I absolutely cannot tell the difference between it and a$2 coin. Same id, same tone. I just do the rubbish removal. Saves guessing and the pain of hitting again if I come back. It's the only thing I would love to change on it, just haven't worked out how to solve the problem except bigger coil.

I found a gold wedding ring on the beach and I try to call all the targets I find before digging them with normally an 80% correct rate - so I called it a pull tab and out comes the gold ring.... as a fellow detectorist I encourage you to leave all pull tabs and bottle caps - that way I know if a gold ring is there I will find it! I am constantly amazed at what I thought was a junk target signal ends up being a silver coin or gold ring ... ignore them at your peril! ;)

Yes that sums it up nicely Goldpick, if you go into scan when you are close to the bottle cap or surface $1 $2 coins you can get that similar overload sound for both, but the depth may show a difference that can tell you to dig or not in that case, if it's deeper and overloading it's probably a bottle top, whereas if it's shallow and overloading it may be a coin and worth the dig on the off chance.
Goldpick said:

I went out to get some milk this evening so i could have a cup of coffee after work ... This is what i cam back with....
1405685701_image.jpg

2x50c , 5x20c , 3x5c , 1x10c ... A couple of buttons and a lead wheel weight(that was a strong signal :/ )
When i got home,had to go out again to get milk :8

An excuse to for a detect! :D Another good spot to detect during school holidays is out the front of schools in carparks, plenty of coins dropped giving kid some lunch money. ;)

Gday guys , just had to post my finds from this morning... Pretty happy with the results ... For sure :D
1405818131_image.jpg

6x$1 , 7x$2 , 3x50c , 7x20c , 7x10c , 9x5c , 2x2c , 1xpenny(1942)
What appears to be an ID band( minus the bird) and ( DRUM ROLL :lol: ) chunky 925 ring with a stone inset
1405819194_image.jpg

1405818649_image.jpg

1405818650_image.jpg

1405819294_image.jpg

1405818686_image.jpg

Its been raining all morning, i came home absolutely soaked , ive had a coffee and when it stops raining im going back to finish it off

What a haul! Feels good when you have a good day out hunting - and a ring to boot! Gotta be happy with that Sandta! ;)

Ahhhh, I remember the cream days of multiple coin finds, good feeling isn't it. :) Well done on the penny and the 925 ring, looks to be a real chunker of a ring - I bet that made you jump for joy when unearthed.

Where did you locate the ring and penny, were they down very deep in the park soil, or in an actual tot lot?

Isn't it amazing what the little Ace will find, hence why it will always be a keeper in my detector arsenal. ;)

Gday GP , I was stoked with that ring ;) it was about 4" down, the penny was 1/2" into the clay below the bark
I went back and started gridding up the surrounding park ( have completed 3/4 of it) here are the finds
No gold rings :( but plenty of potentials :lol: ...bloody ring pulls :mad:
1405833540_image.jpg

3x10c , 3x2c , 7x1c and what i believe to be a half penny( i cant make out anything yet, too much build up)
A toy truck , a button , some brass things( i think one could be the end of a walking stick)
And another silver ring... Signet ring with blue stone ,
1405833942_image.jpg

Geez ya cleaning up there Sandta! literally :D .

I'm yet to find any rings. Found a made in China watch on the beach a while back. Like reading your posts and the photo's.

Cliff

Coyote said:
Geez ya cleaning up there Sandta! literally :D .

I'm yet to find any rings. Found a made in China watch on the beach a while back. Like reading your posts and the photo's.

Cliff
Doing well with ace,just imagine if you had an expensive tecta. :eek: I like then truck,vintage models are cool.

Nice going Sandta, rings are a great find. Have you come across any gold lockets yet?

I do the tot lots religiously. I get quite a kick out of spending someone else's pocket money. Does that make me a bad person?

Thanks fellas , no i havent found any gold lockets yet , nor a gold ring ... But if they have the same footprint signal a those bloody pull ring tabs ... If theres any out there ,ill find em :lol:

Good onya Sandta, removing all those darn pulltabs for us all, nothing I like worse than to rework someone elses hole, just to find they left that bloody pulltab in it after they were finished. It's as if they don't like to take them away with them sometimes(bloody lazy).

TTKooAu said:
Nice going Sandta, rings are a great find. Have you come across any gold lockets yet?

I do the tot lots religiously. I get quite a kick out of spending someone else's pocket money. Does that make me a bad person?

Only when you beat us to it. :p

Latest posts