Another Infinium beach hunt!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldpick said:
After having a bit of withdrawal from not doind a decent detect lately, I took the infinium down to the beach for another try of the low tide troughs and some dry sand detecting. Lots usual PI junk (64 bottle caps, 14 tent pegs), but managed to find a chain with a tigers eye pendant, gold plate earing loop, large brass masonic ring, gold stud earing, a long stainless chain, and some odd coins including a Donald Bradman 20c piece.

There were so many targets that I could have spent all night there, but will have to wait for another night to cover some more ground. I am still really impressed with the 9x10" DD coil, for such a small coil, it certainly gets some depth and is very sensitive to small items, great coil for any Infinium arsenal. I am really getting used to the various sounds from this detector, trailing signals, multiple hi-lo's (bobby pins) screaming hi-lo's (bottle tops), mutliple lo-hi's (sparklers), screamer lo-hi's (tent pegs), and so on.

At first it was a real learning curve using this detector, but now that I have a few hours under my belt, I am really enjoying it. With DD coils, it really doesn't require much ground balancing to get it running very quiet on the beach, certainly less than the mono loops, it pretty much runs dead silent apart from the background threashold.. I also love the fact that you can drop the infinium anywhere (in salt water, wet sand), and you don't have to worry about it being totally waterproof. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1390927437_img_20140129_025809.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1390927471_img_20140129_025919.jpg

Are you interested in selling the Don Brad 20C

As the old sating goes they are a dime a dozen. According to rennkins coin book unless mint not worth any more than face value. But some peolple on fleebay will make out they are rare and try to get far more than they are worth, and sometimes do. I looked at the add referred to above and it also had other coins in it, so it's not the best example in my opinion.
Sorry to disappoint anyone but I am only stating what is correct maybe in years to come they might be worth more, but nearly all modern Australia coins are only worth face value unless mint or proof coins. Anything we find in ground will not be in that condition.

Still,.....don't throw that dirty old 1930 penny into the copper bucket without a closer look, ....someone might want it.
It could be worth more than copper price at the scrappos, although I'm sure they'll take it off your hands,....along with all those filthy old 1923 halfpennies we are all digging up. As bad as ones and twos hey.

Went out again tonight, lots of junk, a few coins, and the highlight was a Titanium ring - something different for a change! :)

1393007824_img_20140222_050546.jpg

1393007849_img_20140222_050608.jpg

Look at how lovely and safe for people you are helping to make the beach. That is what you show the public(not the ring or the coins though, you don't want to get mugged in the carpark).

Wow what a collection, nice hunting
Goldpick said:
Took the Infinium out for another run yesterday, got there just as the tide was turning, but still with a few troughs in the beach to explore. Had a couple from Victoria approach me interested in the PI machines, so had a chat for a while with them leaving happy that they had gained some new knowledge on the detecting world.

This time rather than taking out the 8 inch mono coil, which can be a bit cantankerous at times, and very sensitive to detector cable movement, I fitted up the 5x10" DD eliptical coil and was surprised with how well it ran. Depth wasn't an issue, still had me digging some quite deep holes, but nest of all, it was quiet as a mouse all day and very well behaved - no issues with EMI nor falsing from cable movement. I was very impressed with the performance of this coil, so much so that the mono will stay home next time.

Didn't find any great valuables, some coins, a bling hair comb, a toy Mitusbish Ralliart Pajero, tons of sparklers & bobby pins, and the smallest target was a weeny copper rivet about 7 inches down, so small the pinpointer had trouble finding it. It still makes my mind boggle over the amount of rubbish deposited on our beaches on a daily basis, probably the most annoying is people drinking beer, and lazily burying the cap next to where they are sitting.

Here's a pic of all the finds and associated rubbish, and by the way, the big gold coin on the right is made of chocolate :lol:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1389183764_img_20140108_224123.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1389183851_img_20140107_210008.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1389183887_img_20140107_210035.jpg

Back at it again tonight, the tide was way out, allowing good access to a lot of drains and ripple strips to detect. First decent find was a silver earing on a ripple strip, then moved closer to the jetty and picked up my first gold ring with the Infinium. Definitely not brass, and not plated, even though I couldn't find a hallmark, it's definitely gold and weighs about 3.92 grams. Other items included some sinkers, $6.55, part of a silver earing, copper Lara Bingle label, and usual assorted bobby pins, bottle caps, sparklers, tent pegs and a working lighter. I was using the 8" mono coil tonight for a bit more depth over the usual 5x10DD elliptical coil.

1393782926_img_20140303_041235.jpg

1393782957_img_20140303_041302.jpg

1393782982_img_20140303_041438.jpg

1393783025_img_20140303_041823.jpg

You don't seem to find many ringpulls. I usually find dozens of them on a beach hunt.
Maybe we should ask the councils to pay us for cleaning up public spaces!
Clean up Australia day is everytime we go out for a swing for us.

We get 5c deposit here for drink containers in SA, so it may have something to do with that. Maybe it's a test of the most stressed out states in Oz, the ones with lots of ring pulls everywhere must be the most stressed! :p
Although our parks are ridden with the buggers, and our beaches seem to now be littered with bottle caps, to me, the new ring pull of detecting.

Maybe I should have stated decimal not modern, the only decimal that is immediately known to me as been worth money when in not mint condition is the 1966 round fifty which has to much silver in it & it is not rare & it's value is based on silver prices.

At it again, this time down West beach way to try out some of the several exposed gutters, unfortunately not much came from the gutters apart from a few sinkers. Instead I stuck to the dry sand, frustratingly, when the wind dropped the damned mozzies came out in force, so it was a matter of putting up with them for a few hours. Turns out I had an unusual friend following me during the night, a fox was sniffing around close behind, inspecting all the backfilled holes I had detected, bit strange to see that little fella out there! :)

The main finds were a small gold plated ring with a flower setting and a small stone (zirconia??), an ornate silver ring (still covered in lots of crud), and what looks to be a silver chain, but unfortunately the clasp is gone, so no hallmarks - it weighs nearly 11grams, so it is reasonably heavy. The large stainless steel ring was found up on the foreshore grass with the Ace250, pretty much the first target I came across, loud and clear. Decided to pack things up for the night after that find, before the mozzies carried me away.

Someone also misplaced their ventolin inhaler, still full, so it may be handy for an unexpected asthma attack (not that I have asthma). ;)

1393958551_img_20140305_050015.jpg

1393958590_img_20140305_050044.jpg

When your using the Ace250 do you use the scan button to search for a target first before you let the machine analyse it ?

No, I just let the machine do its thing vs continually hold the pinpoint button down. I'm never really looking for deep targets with the Ace, so if the signal is clear and repeatable, its dug. Anything too deep are scratchy gets left in the ground, as it's my go to machine for quickly picking off surface or near surface targets, whilst discriminating out the junk targets. I don't really want to go around digging plugs on those grassed areas, so I stick with the ol screwdriver method. :)

My thumb gets a bit sore after a while holding the scan button in, but I grew up with the proximity machines and find I can use the ace that way to cover a lot of ground faster(using headphones too). I poke the pro pointer into the cut to see exactly where the target is. I also find that if I get a high tone even one way I still use the scan button on the target because if it has a light scratchy type sound it can be a 3d or a 6d 50% silver at depth, it may be the ratio of silver to copper that causes it. I usually just use the 5 right hand notches in the search, but have also found on occasion that that 6th one can also be silver giving that mid tone, but only the 50%ers.It also gives me $1&$2 coins and all coppers + sometimes 50c pieces.

Scan button? The PinPoint button on the Ace 250 is used to do just that, pin point a targets (more) precise whereabouts in the ground once already detected, you shouldn't be searching while holding this button down. Sorry if I read your post wrong :8

Never say shouldn't Nugget,
1393981604_sam_0981.jpg
that's just the good crap from last years speed scans !!!
At least you never said cant(ha-ha).

Here's another perspective of the same stuff
1393983207_sam_0984.jpg

That's mostly the coppers

Latest posts