A simple GPS gadget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just use the GPS in your phone and use Open Street Maps. Works anywhere with no data connection required and drop as many waypoints as you like.

These devices are a good, reliable and cheap back up. Basic and easy for children to use (also no games to flatten the batteries). A couple of AA batteries last for days of continuous use. They are light weight and can be securely clipped onto kit or clothing. With heads down and headphones on its inevitable that members of a detecting group can get separated. The least technical people can at least follow the arrow back to the car. They're also a passive device that doesn't interfere with detectors.

I myself use these and other devices, including a phone, compass, mud maps and common sense to move around and navigate around the areas I'm detecting. Personal choice and experience will always drive choices. Choose what suits your needs.

goody2shoes said:
Is $200 normal price on these?
Goody
Yep, but www.sportgps.com.au has the Bushnell G2 orange-black version advertised for $129 but out of stock.
I ordered a generic unit off eBay for $50 to see what it's like.
I normally just use my Garmin GPSMap but im curious about these.
If i find it convenient to have as a backup i will likely buy a genuine Bushnell unit

this is the cheapy unit I bought to play with
1593422342_mini_gps_compass.jpg

I have something similar - a Canmore GPS about the size of a USB stick which also includes a electronic compass like the Backtrack ( and like most mobile phones) .

I would NEVER go bush anywhere with just the mobile though. One fall onto rocks, in the water or even just leaving lots of apps running and then you are screwed - you have lost your maps, compass, torch & emergency contact method all at once. Well done !

I do have a phone loaded with topo maps that I use for primary nav but I turn on the Canmore when I get out the car, delete the last waypoint & grab a new one. Then I turn it OFF. This way I cant accidently use up the battery nor can I accidently return home to the parking spot I was at yesterday (Oops).

Like 7.62Marksman I also carry a PLB but now that mine is about to expire I have bought a Garmin Inreach Mini, which is super cool. Size of a PLB but it allows you to SMS anyone using the Iridium satellite network so works anywhere on earths surface. Has the usual PLB features as well. Only downside is the $20 per month fee but you can pay just for the months you are out prospecting.

Latest posts