New to gold hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. My partner and I have just settled in the South Burnett region in Queensland and we would like to start gold detecting for a hobby. I really like the idea of getting out in the bush and searching for treasure! We are thinking of buying a Garrett AT Gold to get started. Does anyone have an opinion on this detector? :)

Honestly I wouldnt, as Jaros said pulse induction is the way to go . If your just starting out and you want the best possible chance with the easiest machine to learn on the sdc 2300 is the way to go for sure . Good luck . Cheers Booney

Welcome to PA, It's a great opportunity to get some good advice before you buy. :Y:

About $1500...but it looks like the PI detectors are above that. Its quite confusing to be honest...some people on YouTube say the VLF units are better for identifying iron and are great at detecting small pieces of gold but as Jaros says above...a PI unit would be better

Lisa & Brian said:
About $1500...but it looks like the PI detectors are above that. Its quite confusing to be honest...some people on YouTube say the VLF units are better for identifying iron and are great at detecting small pieces of gold but as Jaros says above...a PI unit would be better
Welcome to PA.

VLF machines are better for coins and relics because of their target identification and superior iron discrimination == Much easier to determine whether it's trash or not.
PI machines have little to no discrimination but perform far better in the heavy mineralized ground that the gold is in == More stable and better depth in mineralized ground.

Both technologies can be used to find the same thing, but they preform best in their field of expertise.

Have a look around for a Minelab SD2000. Awesome machine that can be picked up for between $700 and $900 if you look hard enough and will definitely put you in the game. :Y:

YES 2000 are cheap but to a new detector user they can be hard to use, they were minelabs first PI detectors the later models are auto ground tracking or are easy modified a 2200 extreme or 3000 are easy altered the models after these have auto tracking :Y:

Honestly man my opinion is that if you want to do it, do it properly. For the budget they have in mind and the actual results they want to achieve i personally think the SD2000 is the only way to go. You don't just walk into detecting, you know yourself there is a lot of learning to do so what better way than to jump in the deep end and learn it all properly the first time around.

I've mentioned this before, I started out with the Garrett AT Max but wished that someone would have told me that it wasn't the right machine to find gold with. I did find gold with it but that's because it was sitting on the ground and i didn't have to dig for it (went back with a P.I machine to find out id missed heaps)
I wish someone had have told me that an SD2000 would get the job done right the first time, that's all. If they have limited funds (as i did) the earlier models still have the capability to show real results for the money they can spend, that's all I'm saying.

Good Luck guys, with whatever decision you end up making!

Think of it this way the saying is you need at least 100hrs on your machine to even understand it and be pretty good with it if your not that keen sdc2300 and you can be good with it in 1/2 an hour and finding gold I bought 2detectors spent hours and was very frustrated I ended up with the sdc and wished I had bought it first up. Cheers Muk.

Latest posts