New to gold hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lisa and Brian,
Some second hand 2300s about but usually around $2000 - $2500

Another one to consider is a QED.
Although I witnessed the QED struggle in WA here last year, there have been software updates since then that may have well fixed the short comings, plus is is continually being developed and shows great promise. I know many have great success with them over east.

I was seriously considering one myself, unfortunately it did not suit me for what I wanted of it.
One thing in your favour is being different to operate than minelab machines, being new you wouldnt be trying to learn with instilled minelab habits.

G'day Lisa, Brian and family welcome to PA :Y: I'm with you Brian not a fan of playing in the snow unless there's decent gold to be had :inlove: As far as what machine to buy for a start up greenhorn SDC2300 is by far the easiest switch on and go detector on the market. Have fun at Perisher Lisa :beer:

Lisa & Brian said:
Thank you all so very much...we are so surprised at how helpful and generous you all are with your time and experience. We think we will go with the SDC2300 and search around for a good second hand one. Hopefully we will have some fun and get hooked!

I see that Lost Treasures in Brisbane hires SDC2300s. If you took one of theirs away for a long weekend camping in the goldfields, you could get a real taste of the adventures ahead. :goldnugget:

https://losttreasures.com.au/pages/detectors-for-hire

Lisa & Brian said:
Thank you all so very much...we are so surprised at how helpful and generous you all are with your time and experience. We think we will go with the SDC2300 and search around for a good second hand one. Hopefully we will have some fun and get hooked!

Very wise choice. You won't be sorry they are a dam good machine. Just remember you have to have the coil on the ground when you swing, some call it scrubbing. And most importantly...go slow and listen carefully. Don't be discoraged when you find little bits of lead shot which sound like gold it means that no one else has seached that area.
I doubt if I will get rid of mine unless of course Minelab come up with some improved model.
Research,Research, Research !

Most of all have fun ! :goldnugget:

I neglected to say that, if you buy a second hand sdc with warranty still on it ask if the original purchaser used their demo day. A lot don't. ..like me. So you will be entitled to use that demo day which is a really really good idea. If purchasing a new machine. Ask for extras to be thrown in as many dealers will add stuff in like Walco picks or whatever.
Choose wisely as it is a fare bit of an outlay.
You will need a decent pick and a pin pointer... I know many say you don't need a pinpointer with the sdc but I found it very useful especially on the beach treasure hunting. And contrary to some. The sdc will find stuff a quite deep levels I'm talking over 500 mm.
Anyway please keep the family informed. Good hunting :goldnugget: :pickshovel:

Latest posts