making a banjo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

phil
Reaction score
gday fellas has anybody got any simple plans dimensions of a banjo very keen to make one any info appreciated thanks :cool:

phil said:
gday fellas has anybody got any simple plans dimensions of a banjo very keen to make one any info appreciated thanks :cool:

1910ukeicon.jpg

:D :D :D

Phil, There is the real old bango that tin miners and gold prospectors used a lot up north and there is the modern version that uses a pump. This modern version is also called a highbanker. The Modern version i have no experience with but the old version i have. I have used it for Tin and gold.

I did see recently that someone made the old fashioned style rocker banjo out of wood...
Could be in the DIY section too

Ag, The old style banjo never rocked, that was a cradle (smile) the smiles are not working.

phil said:
thats pretty much it agman dont suppose your got the plans cheers

Nah, I don't.
Most guys just make them up according to what materials they can get their hands on.

I would recommend you start at what pump you have or will use.

Figure out how much weight you want to lug around, how much volume it will pump - the volume it will pump at say 1/3rd rpm is about what you want to look at - you can tweak the rpm up or down to adjust the water volume better. You don't want to listen to an engine revving its rings out at max rpm all day so it can keep up with the sluice.

Also think about how much material you want to put thru it.

gday agman ill buy 5.5 hp pump its suppose to pump 500lt a minute and id like to put a fair volume through it thanks

Hi Phil I know where there are plans for the Banjo you are after, no not the musical instrument or the highbanker, this is a real banjo designed by a guy who really knows his stuff, he does not to my knowledge hang out here, he is on another forum, I will direct you there via PM so keep an eye out.
cheers,
Lee

If I didn't, someone else would have John :p

Anyhow, back on topic - did you end up finding some suitable plans & dimensions Phil?

Latest posts