Anyone planning 1 last legal highbanking trip ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiefarmer

Thinks he is funny
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought everybody would be planning one last banking trip to their favorite spot before the fines start, but i havent noticed any body posting about it , maybe everybodies waiting for the laws to come in so theres the addded thrill of being a hunted man :lol:

Haha I check the Alluvial Gold forum daily, or the DIY forum and have a chuff that no one is mentioning bankers, I'm going this weekend, had the flu and bronchitis for the last month or so, so I'm busting to get out there. I'll just go somewhere more remote than others I guess. I'll toss the banker in and a river sluice and just make the call when I get to a spot.

I look at my HighBankers and wonder what I will do with them long term in light of how much has gone into them, considering I really wanted to buy a Gold Rat for this season, I almost jumped on a Gold Hog Raptor Flare when the dollar was high and the way they have changed international shipping, when I looked into one about a year ago I was looking at something like $550 international freight. Maybe just classify and fill 20 or 30 buckets and process them as fast as possible at the end of the day ;)

As far as l know the law is in full effect, though lm sure a bunch of prospectors will have memory loss for quite some time.

Bluecurrant said:
When does the law banning highbanking start?. If iv got some time left ill recommence this saturday.

The way i read this you have uptill the 1st of september before its enforced but dont hold me to it , it may pay to read up or ask tath or napha

For the benefit of PA members, here is a note that has been sent to NAPFA members today.
Dear NAPFA member,
WARNING TO FOSSICKERS ABOUT NSW SLUICING DEVELOPMENTS
The NSW Department of Planning, Environment, Resources and Energy (PERE) (new department that incorporates the old Resources and Energy group) has decided to commence an enforcement campaign from September to November 2017 particularly targeting highbanking equipment as per below:

"Night Banking" might become a thing.....

I'm not going to put myself in obvious spots where I'll get pinched, I already copped the Fisheries ire at Coles Bridge because I could be seen from the bridge, if I was out of eyesight those 2 blokes would have kept on driving, as it was their pies got cold and their chocolate moove's got hot by stopping to get up me.
I suggest any of your blokes planning to head out this weekend be cautious too as it's well into effect and it would only be fuel for the fire for them to dish out a heap of fines and confiscate gear. I think El Dorado even heard someone at Sofala already getting done, although if it's the guy I'm thinking it might be he had it coming anyway as he was blatantly dredging with a pretty sophisticated setup in plain view, it's a bit sad that those who highbank now are put into the same category as dredgers, something I never expected or asked for!

AussieChris said:
"Night Banking" might become a thing.....

I'm not going to put myself in obvious spots where I'll get pinched, I already copped the Fisheries ire at Coles Bridge because I could be seen from the bridge, if I was out of eyesight those 2 blokes would have kept on driving, as it was their pies got cold and their chocolate moove's got hot by stopping to get up me.
I suggest any of your blokes planning to head out this weekend be cautious too as it's well into effect and it would only be fuel for the fire for them to dish out a heap of fines and confiscate gear. I think El Dorado even heard someone at Sofala already getting done, although if it's the guy I'm thinking it might be he had it coming anyway as he was blatantly dredging with a pretty sophisticated setup in plain view, it's a bit sad that those who highbank now are put into the same category as dredgers, something I never expected or asked for!
Yeah Chris,there was someone fined $2500 at Sofala for illegal fossicking.It was first mentioned by Imagoldenoldie in post #24 in this thread.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23042

I'm completely new to all this and would like to know whats the difference between an elevated sluice, sluice and high banker and can i use any of the before mentioned? and what process can i use them.

could i pump water to a container and bucket out?

can i only use a bucket to pour water?

can i use a river sluice?

can i bring 1000ltrs of water with me and gravity feed my high banker?

i know its so many questions but I want to go out with the family for fun, not trouble.

Yes to All your Questions... It's the Pump 'Connected' to the Highbanker that is the Issue.... We are very Ingenious on this Forum, so I don't think it will be too long before Some-one comes-up with Something.... ;)

LW....

Haha fish4gold3, farmer was just having a bit of fun with his "elevated sluice" and its hose for washing his hands and having a drink ;)

Sluice, single layer unit, fed by the flow of the creek/river you are in, in general it pays to classify the material you put in it and feed it slowly by hand with a trowel etc. there are obviously some designs and matting/riffle/mesh preferences that can take more material than others and can be fed by shovel/bucket without needing to classify as much. There are tons of designs out there I just picked one that was unbranded to not be biased in any way. These are still thankfully legal, because the powers that be can't pin mechanical advantage on them as of yet! You can put a header box on the front of a sluice and make it a powered unit, unfortunately, that now is a no no as it qualify's it as a highbanker. Mechanical pump for water is their issue, it not really about pumping water, it's about mechanical advantage.

1503719245_sluice5.jpg

Highbanker, sluice plus the hopper to feed it, punch plate or grizzly bars do the classification for you, you can feed them faster and harder than a river sluice. Fed water by a pump, be it petrol water pump or battery bilge pump (and that there is our problem....mechanical advantage) The hopper where you bucket or shovel raw material into has a water destruction chamber to bust up clays and gravels, wash off all the colours that keep us up at night.

1503719264_banker.jpg

You could hand pump water to a highbanker, or use some kind of gravity feed, but it's just not viable, they really do rely on water flow and most...not all depending on mat type do not like stop/starts when it comes to water as once the fluid bed stops and material settles, you will be blowing gold out the back end unless you do a clean up every time you lose water pressure. I have seen a gravity fed trommel on youtube, something like 400 ft of pipe, but even then it was bloody horrible, it was not much more than a trickle, and some of these mats really do like water flow.

Grab yourself a river sluice or go knock one up in the shed! there are plenty of designs in the DIY section, most materials you can get hold of easy enough, you can pretty much build a sluice from Bunnings, although I don't think they stock sheet aluminum? Being new to the game, maybe not the best time to go drop $1000 on a banker setup and go getting a $750? fine plus having your gear confiscated on your first trip out, when you are going to need 20 grams of the good stuff in your hands before even covering your initial setup.

If you are stubborn like me and choose to risk taking out the highbanker, be careful but also be prepared to risk the fine in the next few months as they will be on a mission targeting known hotspots like crazy.

1503721714_doudiets.jpg
vs
1503721837_goooolllld.jpg

What's the hell is happening? I thought our forefathers fought and died for the privilege to fossick for gold at Eureka. Back then the greedy bastards claimed the gold belonged to the queen back in England. I thought we were "free" people. Here in Victoria they want to join all the forest areas and turn it into a huge mega park where not only can't you go prospecting anymore, but you wont be able to drive your 4x4 into the damn place, nor walk your dog or ride your horse into it. What the hell has happened to our freedom? I say stop watching footy on TV (I say it's a ploy to keep us occupied anyway) and do some protesting, maybe have a "lynch a politician day"

Lots of good chat here fellas. :eek: Particularly liked your post-Aussie Chris :Y: Very succinct in it's factual information for those newer to the game and well presented with the picture layout :cool: There's a lot of conjecture being pandered about with regards the High Banking debacle.
I sympathise with all, given that not much info has been given out by Napfa in relation to ongoing discussions with the relative authorities :/ But I got a feeling that Steve Dangaard, Doug Spindler and all the executive are working their butts off on our account and probably consider that a statement at this stage might prejudice on-going negotiations.All power to them!.I sense this could be a protracted fight!..How resolute we are will determine the final outcome.As I said before I will not comply with this unjust decision!..I totally concur With 7.62 Marksman......
camouflage, guerrilla tactics, Ghost riders in... the sky!!! ]:D ]:D

I went this morning and yeah I sure did have a good look around before unpacking the truck :p
I took 10x20L black buckets and filled them with pay dirt before I even got the banker out ;)
There was a guy doing the same thing a couple of hundred meters upriver from me, he wandered and had a bit of a chat, he had no clue that we were now outlaws!

Latest posts