Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The uv test for diamonds will really only work if there are numerous diamonds in a piece of jewellery, as I was saying earlier only 1 in 6 or more will flouresce. Sometimes there may be none that will flouresce but I've always found at least 1 stone will flouresce when there are multiple stones present.

Hey Heatho...is it possible the fluorescing stone is Spinel???

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinel

The 'Crown Jewels' (Timur Ruby) were actually Spinel, and not Rubies as first thought. (for the uninitiated) :)

Silver, just a quick trick you can use...if you have a reasonably strong magnet, you can see if the large stone is slightly 'magnetic'.
If so, it may well be Spinel.

Thinking aloud...

Cheers

Yeah it's possible Gypsy, though it is due to exactly the the same reason that pink sapphire and ruby flouresce, it's the chromium content.

Pink/red spinel is actually a lot rarer than pink sapphire and rubies, though for some reason was never as expensive, though I think that is changing these days. Spinel comes in all the same colours as corundum/sapphire and is nearly impossible to tell the difference just by looking at it, a gemologist would need to test it with a polariscope.

I've got heaps of black spinel and hardly any of it is magnetic, mainly only the browny and metallic looking spinel pieces I have are, which are in the ferroan spinel types.

So most likely silvers stone is a pink sapph, it's the wrong colour to be ruby.

Sorry Heatho...i didn't check the atomic structure.... (Mg,Fe)(Al,Cr)2O4

I was only thinking of the Al and Mg in occurrence, (Fe for 'magnetism' test)....and why Ruby & Spinel are often found together. :rolleyes:

Apologies for 'my' confusion... :8

Gypsy

Hopped out of the car for a few minutes, and realized the tecta was still strapped to my arm, so I looked down and thought ,"why not"
Well I'll show ya why not ! :(
THERE WAS
1486802373_20170211_171644.jpg

NO
1486802438_20170211_171729.jpg

S I L V E R ,......anywhere

silver said:
Hopped out of the car for a few minutes, and realized the tecta was still strapped to my arm, so I looked down and thought ,"why not"
Well I'll show ya why not ! :(
THERE WAS
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1953/1486802373_20170211_171644.jpg
NO
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1953/1486802438_20170211_171729.jpg
S I L V E R ,......anywhere

Awwwww I am sure there are plenty of Silver's left for you Silver...maybe in the very next hole. :) :Y: :(

Oh, I'll get over it, I'm sure fellas ,.... just glad it wasn't a pristine silver jumping out and rubbing itself across my digga :p ,..... stopped at one, not because I could, but because I had to. :( ,... probably for the best at any rate. :lol:

Those buttons came up alright Silver, very cool. The one with workhouse on it could be very, very old actually. Tried to do some google searching on willes leeds workhouse and different spelling variations. Could not find anything showing images of a similar button but will give it another go, I am intrigued. Also I had not heard of workhouses before, so I am learning something new as well. :)

Also well done on the Penny, great pics of it coming out of the ground.

Cheers,
Bec. :)

Thanks fellas, thinking about it in hindsight, I was parked up next to the spot thinking about silvers when I rang old mate to see if he had an intrest in the venue(he did, so I shot off and picked him up) ,.... but the way the wind was blowing, and the exact spot I ended up scoring the florin, turned out to be directly upwind from where I was parked when on the blower to old mate, never thought at the time to look upwind from the car, coulda just walked straight over n dug it up if I'd a been more on the ball ! 8) :D

Latest posts