12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just thought to post up these images, after putting those recent little nuggets under the microscope for inspection.

Always good to look at gold. I always snap these after my finds - may as well start sharing some closeups as well.

1482841015_microscope_1.jpg

1482841015_microscope_2.jpg

1482841016_microscope_3.jpg

1482841016_microscope_4.jpg

Also found this on that recent specimen - appears to be crystalline structure sheet form or leaf
1482841347_sun_dec_25_23-47-15.jpg

1482841396_sun_dec_25_23-52-13.jpg

1482841347_sun_dec_25_23-59-52.jpg

Enjoy

Dynamite post again
Looking forward to the next instalment :D
My son his record is 24 bullet casings he swings a f4 was proud as that day lol all located around a tree

Hopefully Christmas treated you well

Well MG you have had a good couple of days nice post and great pic you found more gold in one day than I have in two years got to be my year in 2017 I hope,also nice to see your brother out there cleaning up the bush for you lol and I know the feeling of hitting a junk pile area, I always say if there is a rubbish tip in the area I will find it lol my two detecting buds always say which way you going I say that way and they head in the opposite direction ,think I will start to do the same lol .Hope everyone had a safe Xmas as you said MG just another day ,good news is finally got the car fixed after doing the head and a broken oil sender talk about happy Xmas Bah humbug LOL,looking forward to getting out in the paddocks again for a swing .

Hi All,

After having a chat with another P/A member today - I wasn't going to head out for a swing only because it appeared a bit warm. Well I decided to at least get a couple of hours in. Whats the worst that can happen, lose fluids and have to top them back up every hole that I dig.

Bit of hot weather doesn't hurt too much as long as we keep fluids up, take some extra breaks.

So I headed out at roughly 4:00pm - the area that I went to today was revisiting the spot where my very first piece of Gold came from about 15 years ago. The area hasn't changed much still thick dense bush, I would probably say after the controlled burn offs that the bush is more dense now with all of the regrowth.

Almost 20% detectable grounds, very hard work battling through the maze of tussock weeds with the 14".

Still I was determined not to let this bother me because that 20% may just be enough to hit a couple of targets.

On the outer part of this spot - along the bush tracks I hit a few surface targets. Just picked them up and continued on.

What is amazing though when we first start prospecting swinging at every single part of the ground, not paying much attention to the grounds. Well it was very exciting going back today to this spot, seeing it in a complete different way, being able to analyze and assess the workings a lot better and knowing which area's I would be more inclined to focus on in such short time.

After walking off the little bush track I looked at the hill area, few workings, some very shallow. Good spot to start in between this line, in the undulated area going down the incline, famous tree.

1. Check how thick the scrub is - very dense and just enough room here that when I slid the coil in there was a target. Not a soft response with the Elite, it was very noticeable - but definitely not close to the surface. After digging away through the soft wash, there were a few harder packed more consolidated gravels, not quite a conglomerate but reasonably compacted.

In the images you can see thick dense bush, depth of hole and unconsolidated gravel wash, with light sands in the material, at the bottom of the hole which was roughly 8 inches - there is also signs of red clay base.
1482915641_pic_0611.jpg

1482915641_pic_0612.jpg

1482915641_pic_0613.jpg

1482915641_pic_0614.jpg

1482915641_pic_0615.jpg

2. Check that one out, this thing was nice and solid, I would guess that the coil could have seen this at another 5 or so inches. I did run a test but not accurate just an air test, with the gold back in the hole I managed to get the coil another 4 or so inches above the hole and it still interpreted as a response. Nice little nugget
1482915873_pic_0616.jpg

1482915873_pic_0617.jpg

1482915873_pic_0618.jpg

1482915874_pic_0619.jpg

3. You can see here how thick the bush growth is - also where I got that piece of gold was in front of the famous goldfield tree.
1482916042_pic_0620.jpg

1482916042_pic_0621.jpg

1482916042_pic_0624.jpg

4. This piece is an absolute ripper - wait until you see this, the target was very faint
1482916382_pic_0633.jpg

1482916382_pic_0634.jpg

1482916382_pic_0635.jpg

1482916383_pic_0636.jpg

5. Finally Out and on the coil - and a kinder surprise
1482916383_pic_0637.jpg

1482916436_pic_0639.jpg

6. Check this one out - that's another one the mouse laid. Thought to add the second picture even though the focus point was lower, pretty cool image.
1482916494_pic_0640.jpg

1482916494_pic_0641.jpg

1482916495_pic_0642.jpg

That last piece was pretty great to find being so small and faint - it was just enough to send the response we need to dig.

7. And here is the Gold all cleaned up
1482916633_pic_0646.jpg

1482916633_pic_0647.jpg

Pretty good couple of hours out, went through my 2 bottles of water in just on 2 hours. And needed to retreat.

Hope you enjoy the images - and if you go back to your very first spot where you found gold, who knows you may just see something that stands out more after gaining that extra experience, if not still head back and swing at everything - you will be sure to get another piece there.

Enjoy - as always be safe, and well, take care and talk with you soon.

Regards M.G

I'm throwing the 14" Elite on my 4500 this week myself.
My brother in law swings a 4500 with the 14" . Amazing results

YellowFever said:
I'm throwing the 14" Elite on my 4500 this week myself.
My brother in law swings a 4500 with the 14" . Amazing results

Excellent,

Yeah they seem to punch and respond pretty damn great.

All the best for your Chewton Adventure as well. Be great to head that way

Hi Harry,

I think any of the Elites - they all have advantages between them all, sensitivity/depth

I am looking to get the 14x9 Elliptical Elite, was released on 7th November 2016

17 x 11 Elite - would also be an excellent coil - great sensitivity and depth - plus it would be almost as much punch as the 18" Round, less noisy on higher mineral area's - smaller in width means you can get in tighter area's and also provides less saturation.

Comes down to density of the bush and what you prefer for weight - I think having a few in your arsenal is always great because you may go to an area where it is open fields and not much crap on the grounds allowing you to swing the bigger coils.

Like the area I went to today, 14" was a struggle - I should have put the 11" Elite on, because some tussock weeds - I couldnt even get between them. Thats why I think 14x9 would do just fine in this area. Open fields 17x11 all day long

1482924762_11_inch_elite.jpg

1482924762_14_inch_elite.jpg

1482924762_14_x_9_inch_elliptical_elite.jpg

1482924762_17_x_11_inch_elliptical_elite.jpg

1482924762_18_inch_elite.jpg

Just buy them all :)

Great finds once again MG, fantastic Photos great play time.

Also great to here ya brother having a crack and getting a reward for his determanation and persistence.

Well done fellas

Regards Oldschool

Well thats how it goes,

One of those days where things just go wrong and suddenly change.

I will just get the images off the camera and clean something up :)

And put together todays events.

Hi All,

Just another update on the thread, well today we had 4 seasons in one. After the thunderstorms passed over and the rain subsided - I thought to head out for a swing, wasnt going to go out today. But it gets the better of me, why waste time when I have the option to go out.

Well I packed all the gear, drinks, everything needed as usual - well almost everything.

The area that I went back to was pretty much the same area where I found my very first piece of gold, roughly 100 meters further down the area. This location is pretty much workings on a slight hill area, not a gully. So the workings are mostly shallow varying from 1 foot to 4 foot in depth. Obviously the 4 feet is extreme for the detector but I guess the miners would go a bit further while they are digging as they get varying depth of the clays or hard base.

Well after picking a spot which was further across the other side, not even getting one target to dig For about 1 1/2 hours, I went over a fair amount of ground pretty consistently. The reason I went to this side, was because I had found only 1 piece before but the grounds may have given more with the Elite and GPX Combo.

I ventured back to the opposite side where I have found some gold over the years, the odd piece here and there. But there was a section which I know I hadnt swung in before.

So I get back to the opposite side, damn flies annoying the crap out of me, dug out 2 birdshot. And thats all for the couple of hours out, after another half an hour or so I was walking into an area which has a more concentrated line of workings. And what do you know the headphones just dropped out, the volume was like someone slowly turning it off.

Thought the lead had maybe came out slightly - unplugged and plugged back in - nothing.

Turned off detector and back on - and I could hear that slight hum when you first initialize the GPX 4500 - so I get the pick and wave it over the coil. And I can hear the softest noise of target response. Unplug the headphones, plug back in - still nothing.

Well I hadnt taken a spare set or even the speaker out with me. What to do - throw the Minelab Koss UR30 in the bin - this set had issues - first the plug had stuffed up and I had to re-solder the wires, now the volume has dropped out on me. My original pair lasted for years - this pair not even 12 months.

Decision time, well I had no other choice than to head home and get the speaker. I very rarely use the speaker. Maybe once in 15 years, so the choice was made to use this, was different to what I am use to. I like the controlled central noise rather than inferior outside noise mixed with the detector. Anyway what happens next Im not complaining

On arrival to pick up the speaker at roughly 6:30pm - my brother also wanted to see what I was up to - he asked if I was heading out. He had not long finished work. And we were off - back to this area.

Suited up and off we go, as we walked down the track and to the general area, I went right to the same area which I was just at before the headphones died. He went left. There were maybe 100 meters between us

Well I fired the machine up and adjusted the volume, these speakers are nuts on the volume. I reckon it was that loud you could hear it 1 km away. Well off I was and within 10 or so minutes. Wow how things had suddenly changed, we always talk about events leading up and events after in our wonderful hobby. These events I will never forget.

When I got this target out - I signaled my brother to come over, he said hold on I will just get this target out and come down. On arrival I was filming this with the camera, just to capture his reaction. I left the target in the scoop and said wave it over the coil. Haha well @#$% me he goes, and gave it a sprinkle and more words were said as you can imagine. It was great to capture this on film. Maybe I should video more of my finds. :)

1. As you can see here - the depth of the hole is pretty well up there, the signal response was noticeable - much like a faint ground noise sound, after scraping away a few inches the sound was increasing but not super solid. I was wondering about the speaker at this point. Balanced away and the noise still there. I was also wondering could it be ground noise in this one spot as we have that happen many times.

1483010839_pic_0648.jpg

1483010839_pic_0649.jpg

1483010839_pic_0650.jpg

1483010839_pic_0651.jpg

1483010839_pic_0652.jpg

1483010855_pic_0653.jpg

1483010855_pic_0655.jpg

2. Target out and on the coil - this thing just fell out and went thud and screamed when it hit.
1483010906_pic_0656.jpg

1483010906_pic_0657.jpg

1483010906_pic_0658.jpg

1483010906_pic_0659.jpg

1483010906_pic_0660.jpg

1483010921_pic_0665.jpg

Well when my brother came over - I actually put it back in the scoop to surprise him - just to capture the complete response on film. When he arrived I said wave the scoop over the coil. Well the response was pretty funny and when he shaked the scoop, and this thing was just bouncing from side to side - thats when the curse words came out - haha

And after this he goes well - you better come and take pictures of the target I just got out as well, he said he left the hole not filled back in just to get the images. And he plonked his gold in my hand - wow this thing came from a great depth with the GP3500 and 11" Elite

3. And here it is guys - so we both hit the area and within 10 minutes our first targets were both Gold.
1483011124_pic_0662.jpg

1483011124_pic_0663.jpg

1483011124_pic_0664.jpg

After this we took in the moment and talked for a few minutes - and back into it. Lets see what more we can find.

4. My next target was only meters away from the previous gold find, check this one out - nice nugget size wise it beats the previous.
1483011222_pic_0668.jpg

1483011222_pic_0669.jpg

1483011222_pic_0670.jpg

If only it was yellow - would have been 1 1/2 Oz nugget.

Anyway - so that was our efforts for a very short time after getting back out there. Its amazing just how things happen.

5. Here is the gold cleaned up and looks excellent. Nice little inclusions inside, a little Iron and a Little Quartz just to make it slightly more appealing.
1483011340_pic_0677.jpg

1483011340_pic_0678.jpg

1483011340_pic_0679.jpg

Super happy with that one, and also the depth of both machines are running great. The Elite punch and sensitivity is truly remarkable

The bigger weighs in at 7.86 Grams

Hope you enjoy the images and the days adventure

Regards M.G

Excellent nugget MG, thats the stuff dreams are made of. Keep up the great detecting and sharing. We can all learn a bit from you :cool:

Thanks Lord,

in the last well forever - these are sounds that many dismiss as ground noise - can be amazing when you get the target to stay there. Rather than making your own decision on the signal. Dig a bit - let the detector make the decision if it is mineralized ground, red clay, charcoal, hot rock etc

If you dig and it is still there dig a bit more, target goes away - nothing ventured nothing gained. target stays there and gets louder, good thing we didnt walk away.

I balanced on every side of this hole when it was only inches, but the signal still responded. Just a slight hum hum.

Only recently I have had many that are ground noise contained within the size of a hole, but still check every one rather than just getting in a habit of saying ah its ground noise. And walk away. A few where you get 4 or so inches down and hit a clump of charcoal. When it is broken up from its concentration target vanishes.

Also with repeatable signals - Minelab machines are known to signal one way but not the other on large nuggets at the depth just in the threshold limit, or response depth. People dismiss these as not repeatable and just walk away.

Then there is the trusty old break in threshold. Hum flat Hum

Its just amazing what you learn over the years with the sounds and the way these machines handle various conditions, soil types.

Im jealous of that ground you have there ,it looks so mild.

I would love a day without hotrocks.
You know how to pick the ground :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts