Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and may I add(please), that the ground/grass recuperates much better and a lot faster after rain ,... not to mention it's a lot easier to dig then too, and even though it may be enticing to go have a look somewhere, and a dig, taking the effects of it all in relation to recent past weather events is always something that should be rolling around in the back of your mind ,... as what we do affects ourselves and all others in the long run connected to this, our hobby.
Keep digging clean ! ;) :D 8) :cool:

rocketaroo said:
This thread would sell many a CTX, just epic what Heatho has found here. Combo of good machine, good detectorist, and amazingly fruitful honey holes!
:)

Should bribe Minelab to become a product tester or I'll delete my thread. :) Nah I wouldn't do that.

Thanks Rocket, I've put a lot of hours into it, the honey holes have been generous and very easy to work too.

You've made some pretty awesome finds too mate, quite a few have left me drooling. :D

Had a pretty good swing this arvo, got a bunch of goldies, 2 Sixpence and what seems to be a very old gold ring, on the inner band it is hallmarked,
9CT A-O-KOPP, I did a bit of looking online and he was an early Jeweller from Fremantle in WA, some of the other stuff he has made seems to carry a bit of value and seems to be quite rare.

From Trove.
A FREMANTLE CITIZEN.
DEATH REPORTED FROM
COLOMBO.
PERTH, Nov. 23.
Colombo newspapers, to hand to-day
by the German mail steamer Bremen,
contain a report of the suicide of a
person who is believed to be identical
with A. O. Kopp, jeweller and watch
maker of High-street, Fremantle, who
went to Ceylon some weeks ago in
search of health. The deceased shot
himself dead with a revolver. His
wife is said to be at Fremantle.

This is very interesting this link ast it is exactly what is stamped on the outer band of the ring, the word "MIZPAH".
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/26980792

Also found this info too.

Adolph KOPP
Germany Australia died 1905
to Western Australia c.1891

Signet ring 1892-1904
15 carat gold
A.O.KOPP stamped inside ring band
stamped inner ring: AO KOPP/15CT
2.5 (h) x 2.4 (w) x 1.4 (d) cm
Purchased 2010
National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
NGA 2010.314
PROVENANCE | PREVIOUS

Western Australian goldfields and goldmining subject matter pervade this group of jewellery, contributing to its importance as a document of regional fervour, aspiration and achievement during the States prosperous pre- and post-Federation periods. This group of works represents some of the main jewellers working as goldsmiths and retailing in Western Australia from the 1890s, revealing their accomplished craft skills and business acumen. Many set up premises on the Western Australian goldfields during the goldrushes of the 1890s.

Another link for a brooch he made.
http://nga.gov.au/exhibition/OUTWES...9&BioArtistIRN=36588&MnuID=3&GalID=5&ViewID=2

Anyway gotta do a few things, will do some more reading about this and post some more info on it, pretty stoked with this find. Will take some pics of the other stuff too.

1459924260_20160406_151555.jpg

1459924260_20160406_151701.jpg

1459924260_20160406_160220.jpg

1459924260_20160406_161550.jpg

Thanks, I now understand a bit of detecting lingo. The CTX 3030 is about 4 years old. Do software updates upgrade the machine's ability automatically. Is it as simple as that? Would a new model be due for release soon?

Looking at the on-line user manual, the settings seem rather complicated; is a University degree in electronics needed!!!

Kidbeey said:
Thanks, I now understand a bit of detecting lingo. The CTX 3030 is about 4 years old. Do software updates upgrade the machine's ability automatically. Is it as simple as that? Would a new model be due for release soon?

Looking at the on-line user manual, the settings seem rather complicated; is a University degree in electronics needed!!!

Hi Kidbeey. You would be better off asking your question in a new topic. You will get more responses that way. :D
This is the topic where Heatho shows off his finds.

Kidbeey said:

There hasn't been a software update in quite a while, not sure if Minelab will do anymore. A new model has been released but it's just upgraded the waterproofing. It's a bit of a handful to learn but it's not that hard to use and learn.

As Rod suggested start a new thread on it mate and I'll be happy to answer anything in that.

Cheers

Ramjet said:
What an awesome find Heath. Very cool to be able to track down the maker.

Thanks Rod, very very stoked with this find as the bloke who made it died in 1905, it might have been made roughly in the 1890's, could be a great piece of Western Australian history. I'm going to call the National Gallery of Australia's research division tomorrow and ask them if they know anything more about it and it's value.

Found it at the really big sportsfield honey hole I've been doing. It was really deep and must have been there a very long time for 9CT gold to tarnish like that.

Heatho said:
Ramjet said:
What an awesome find Heath. Very cool to be able to track down the maker.

Thanks Rod, very very stoked with this find as the bloke who made it died in 1905, it might have been made roughly in the 1890's, could be a great piece of Western Australian history. I'm going to call the National Gallery of Australia's research division tomorrow and ask them if they know anything more about it and it's value.

Found it at the really big sportsfield honey hole I've been doing. It was really deep and must have been there a very long time for 9CT gold to tarnish like that.

Awesome story. Nice piece he made in that link you gave. Good luck with the extra research. :D

Well done on the Au Heatho, and great that you could track down some info via the maker's hallmarks! :eek: Don't those 9k rings tarnish real bad, a couple I found constantly require polishing to have it look anything like a gold ring, and that usually only lasts about a month.

Not surprising considering in the US they won't even recognise 9k as actual gold, 10k is the minimum standard over there. ;)

Cheers mate, blew me away when I found the maker, pretty rareto be able to do. I want to polish it but not sure I should until I make some calls on it, I want it golden and shiny, looks brown at the moment.

There are some suggestions to use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning low K gold, gin and vodka as well, but bit of a waste. :p Another one I haven't tried yet is 1 part ammonia and 6 parts water for 30 mins for the grimier stuff, most light tarnish will come off with warm water, dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush.

Some mention toothpaste, though I would think that would be too abrasive, certainly hasn't done much for my teeth over the years. :D

Thanks for the cleaning tips GP, I'll give them a go, yeah toothpaste would be a bit abrasive I reckon also. Alcohol is an easy one to try as is the Ammonia, it's pretty heavilly tarnished, I'll try the least harsh things first, would be a shame to not be able to get it nice and clean.

MM'd it to perfection Heatho ,... beautiful job on a most worthy find ,... Museum Quality now, no doubting that at all.
I'll keep an avid eye out for an owner for you, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, as it being such a deeply dug target I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd say it's been in the ground for at least 80 years, but hopes of an owner being there must be maintained until we exhaust all avenues for you !
I've looked, and can find no one at all.
sorry I wasn't much help in that regard ! 8) :eek: :cool: :p

Latest posts