Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sell the Deteknix brand but here is a bit of a break down of the units as I see it:

Garret ProPointer (black)
Good features: decent depth, loud audio
Bad features: will interfere with Minelab PI's even when switched off, prone to become chatty after a while (possibly fixed in the new version??), no sens adjustment.

Garret ProPointer AT (orange)
As above but waterproof. Most who have them seem to like them, but a few reports that they are still prone to falsing. I haven't used one so can't really comment.
Bad feature: the most expensive on the market

Whites TRX (black)
Haven't used one so can't really comment, but seems to have a love it or hate it vibe among users

Minelab Pro Find (dark blue/grey)
Nice build quality, works well in mineralised soil with adjustable sens, generally well behaved, decent price since the Garretts have gone up
Not so good: audio not as loud as the competitors

Deteknix Xpointer (choice of colours)
Like a Minelab clone but PI. Build quality not as nice but has improved a lot since the originals. Very sharp audio.
Best features: doesn't false when flexed, choice of colours, cheapest!
Not so good: quite power hungry so use quality rechargeable 9v's, 300 mah
I have been using one of the original Camo ones and it hasnt missed a beat.

Deteknix Xpointer Wader (black with orange cap)
Same as above but quite slick build quality, can use 9v or 2 x AA batteries, waterproof to 3m - wash it under the tap no problems. Red flashing detection LED - can set the unit to vibrate and red flash with no audio -perfect for those stealthy hunts. My best seller last month.

Deteknix Wader LI (orange)
All the same features as above except it uses a built in Li-Poly battery. This is charged through a USB cable, and you can use smartphone chargers that have the micro-usb plug - very common and easily obtained.

Nokta Pointer (grey & orange)
Robust, nice shape, comes in a killer zip up carry case, and includes cone skidplates. Very funky holster in my opinion but some don't like it.
Sensitivity has 10 steps!! But not so easy to adjust on the fly as controls are at the back. For set and forget use, it is a good design.
Not so good? Audio just seems a little dull. It works, and if you get used to it I'm sure you'll have no issues, but the Xpointers I'm used to just seem more responsive. I think it is simply due to the low tone Nokta have used.

There's more pinpointers out there for sure, and a few features I haven't mentioned but this should give everyone a good idea on how they compare.

Nenad

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks PhaseTech for the great comparison.

I really like the look of the Xpointers and wanted to ask if anyone can give the normal run times for both the replaceable and rechargeable models as it's not listed on their website.

Thanks again

Lance

I use an x pointer ... I like that you can just use vibrate with no sound if you like. Thats my default choice setting also has a good light. I did have an issue with it a while back ... When first turned on it kept running , wouldnt stop , i opened it up and i think it had something in there that caused it , cleaned it out , back together and no worries since .
Im happy with it.
I also have the black garrett . Its now my back up
I think LS has used it more than me :lol:

Picking a pinpointer used to be quite easy due to limited choices on the market, and similar specs/features offered. These days there are so many combinations of features and variations in performance, choosing a pinpointer can be a rather confusing purchase. There is no perfect choice of pinpointer, I put that down to what you personally want from such a unit, and often you won't know this till you have tried a few different brands/models.

Having used a few different pinpointers, this is how I would personally rate them, plus their negatives/positives:

1. Garrett AT Propointer
positives: best proportional audio of the 5, great LED illumination, single button retune/target ratcheting and function selection, waterproof to IP68, easy to navigate functions, lanyard mount, high visibility, control button easy to locate at night, lost alarm & auto power off.

negatives: overly sensitive shaft detection, lack of battery options, no lanyard mount on pouch or actual lanyard included, non-replaceable shell, price

2. Whites TRX
positives: class leading sensitivity and detection depth, tip only detection, replacable shell, takes AA or 9v batteries, single button retune/target ratcheting and function selection, auto ground balancing/tracking, waterproof to IP68, lanyard mount on pinpointer and pouch, bright orange battery cap, lost alarm & auto power off

negatives: audio too quiet, poor illumination from LED, flat control button easy to bump/hard to locate at night, confusing process to adjust sensitivity, sensitivity level 4 useless for pinpointing, no lanyard included, price

3. Minelab Pro-find
positives: good proportional audio and volume, good LED illumination, easy to operate with separate sensitivity controls, washable under running water, price, reliability, lost alarm & auto power off

negatives: needs to be turned off and on again to retune, not waterproof, small speaker holes easily clogged, no lanyard provision, takes only 9v, dark coloured plastics

4. Deteknix XPointer
positives: very loud audio and great LED illumination, bright plastics, easy to use controls and function selection, pulse induction impervious to mineralisation and salt, water resistant, includes lanyard and mount & protective tip caps, price

negatives: build quality and thin plastics, PI can interfere with some detectors, chews through batteries, lanyard ring mount not the best idea, not as sensitive as the VLF pinpointers

5. Nokta RS
positives: good LED and audio, auto light sensor turns off LED during day, small/low profile, price

negatives: poor sealing, only tip is can be immersed in water, speaker holes easily clogged, sliding battery cap wears out eventually = loose fit, only takes 9v, overall build quality, no lanyard provision nor can one be retrofitted

A quick question for those of you who know the Xpointers.......Do the Xpointer and the Xpointer Wader share the same electronics or are they upgraded in the Wader??

Thanks

Lancer said:
Thanks for the replies guys and thanks PhaseTech for the great comparison.

I really like the look of the Xpointers and wanted to ask if anyone can give the normal run times for both the replaceable and rechargeable models as it's not listed on their website.

Thanks again

Lance

Thanks Lance,

There's just soo many variables when it comes to the run time of pin-pointers that it's almost impossible to say. Main reason is that a pinpointer generally doesn't stay on, and only gets turned on when you want to use it, which can be twice or a hundred times or more in a session. But the biggest variable is battery quality.

I've got a few good sessions out of a decent 9v like an energizer, but if you go coin detecting regularly that can start to get costly. I quickly sourced a good quality rechargeable in the AccuPower NiMH at 300 mah (which I now sell) and I'm still on my original 2. I use one in my Xpointer and the other in one of my Tesoros.

The wader Li seems to last forever. I top that up once a week or after 2 - 3 decent coining sessions.

Hope that helps

I'll add the Minelab has some falsing issues, granted mine has had a hard life and was second hand so does not owe me much. Hot days it can be a real pita on again off again while it does its falsing waltz. I do believe the earlier ones are worse but perhaps just older? Anyhow it's battery life is pretty amazing using the energizers (9v) never measured but I've only replaced the battery 4 times since I owned it, countless hours on the clock.

The early SS lanyard ring was surpassed some time ago - Now a new style end cap - And if you want one for your Old Xpointer - I can supply for cost of postage and $5.

The new end caps also fit the Garrett - So postage and approx $15 for the End cap.

The Wader and Wader LI etc all use the same PCB and CCT. It is slight changes to hardware that allow 9V or 2 x AA's in the Wader OR USb recharge with the LI.

I like a number of features - Quick re tune when wanting to zoom in on a target - Some fine it easy and others just change sensitivity...

The best thing I like is to Turn off the Main LED - Saves lots of power And to run with the RED Rate led and Vibrate of a night...

Many have headphones and run of a night, and forget just how far that pinpointer beeping can travel...

So with Vibrate and the RED rate led = still two points of feedback. Physical and Sight...

AngerManagement said:
The best thing I like is to Turn off the Main LED - Saves lots of power And to run with the RED Rate led and Vibrate of a night...

Many have headphones and run of a night, and forget just how far that pinpointer beeping can travel...

So with Vibrate and the RED rate led = still two points of feedback. Physical and Sight...

This is a key feature of the Deteknix waders! I never could get used to just Vibrate mode on any pin-pointer, but add a Red rate LED - and it's a whole new ball game.

Close your eyes for the next few target recoverys once you have the plug open then,...enhance your super powers. :D

ive just seen Jaycar sell pinpointers,has anyone used one?are they worth getting for $54 or am i throwing away money

nicko61 said:
ive just seen Jaycar sell pinpointers,has anyone used one?are they worth getting for $54 or am i throwing away money

I tried one in store and it was next to useless, I wouldn't even use it as a backup. Better off going with an X-pointer or a Nokta RS pinpointer as a budget unit.

Latest posts