Detecting related injuries - your experiences and remedies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
I though it would be a good idea to discuss the possibility of acquiring certain injuries or aggravating pre-existing injuries, bad habits when using a detector, and the related remedies or fixes to prevent or manage the issues.

My particular example is regarding damage to my detecting hand, in particular my small finger which is starting to lock up each morning when I wake up. It could arthritis, rsi, or possibly carpal tunnel related, but carpal tunnel apparently does not affect the small finger in this case.

Whilst I am only 41, my working life has not been office bound, and most activities have involved manual handling of various descriptions, so this may have contributed to the early onset of the injury.

Part of the issue could probably be blamed on bad habits, in particular, not using the arm cuff strap whilst detecting, hence letting the hand take up all the weight and strain of the detector - especially the small finger. The main reason for not using the arm strap is due to the frequency of stopping to check targets, usually I start out using it, but after a few stoppages I neglect to use it again. Also the Explorer is not the lightest detector around, so it comes as a lesser issue when using the Ace250 or Teknetics G2.

So what to do, reverse bad habits, use mechanical means to take the weight off the hand either by using a lighter detector (scratch that), or use a sling for the detector (the more practical solution). Other remedies may include more breaks during detecting to give the body a rest, or cut back the number of hours I do during the week.

I do have a detector harness and bungy, but tend not to use it do to the complexity of putting the thing on all the time, so may have to look for something more simple.

My knees also take a battering, so may have to look into some bracing, and as much as I hate wearing them, some knee pads.

So to summarise, if looking to detect on a very regular basis, it may pay to look a the weight of the detector you are about to purchase, whether you need help handling the detector weight, or at least consider looking at the way you go about your detecting to give your body time to recuperate, especially if you are not getting any younger.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or related thoughts? :)

We all have physical restrictions of one kind or another, however rather than detail that, I thought mentioning solutions rather than problems might be a better use of reply.

1. I have a GPX5000, I use the Proswing harness and have it adjusted to give the best support for me on the shoulder and back.
2. Use good quality footwear, a skyscraper is only as good as its foundation.....
3. Use soft leather gloves, helps prevent blisters cuts etc. and reduces sweat between the hand and detector handle.

and

Last but not least, I detect for an hour or a bit more, then drop the harness, detector and gear and take a 10-15 break. Then do another hour or so until lunch, which is 30-45 minutes. Then another 2 similar stints before packing up for the day. My total is 5 to 6 hrs a day, no more, I'm out there to enjoy, not bust a gut.
(When I worked on computers, we were told to take a 5min leg stretch every hour, the motor accident commission say take a break driving every 2 hours, I see no difference when detecting)

Finally detect to your own limitations.

Goldpick said:
So what to do, reverse bad habits, use mechanical means to take the weight off the hand either by using a lighter detector (scratch that), or use a sling for the detector (the more practical solution). Other remedies may include more breaks during detecting to give the body a rest, or cut back the number of hours I do during the week.
Has anyone else had similar experiences or related thoughts? :)

If you have weight on your hand, maybe you have not adjusted your bungy correctly?
The bungy should support the weight of the machine and your hand be just a guide. If you let the machine hang unaided it should hover just above the ground.
Adjust the Velcro arm strap so you can freely slide your arm in and out without continually releasing it, then it's a breeze to slip your arm out and lay machine down.

On an injury note: Not a matter of "if" it is "when" a piece of skin is dislodged immediately apply Betadene and bandaid/bandage and the wound repairs within days.

If you are experiencing problems with using the detector, then theres no better answer than a fix. Don't keep yourself limit to what is out there on the market, but put some thought into bands, arm supports and bungee cables that you can make. Personally if I detected a lot like you guys, I would be making the coil and arm piece seperate from the batteries and controls. The shape of a detector and coil could well be revised I feel. How about coil shoes? :p Hmmm.. how about a mini pick / scoop on your shoes? Would prevent you from bending down with all the shallow finds!

Pre-exercising can help as well. I highly recommend having a go at a fun exercise ball I found on ebay called a Power Ball or Power Gyro: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QZO-Gyro...Exercise_Accessories&var=&hash=item1e8f14ef97

They are mostly used from what I know for motorbike riders to warm up and strengthen arm muscles before and after a ride to prevent locking of the muscles, especially in the forearms. They can be a bit hard to get used to, but once you have the action right, you will instantly notice the work it does for your arms.

Develop a system that works for you and stick to it. Short breaks are good. I do 5 minute breaks each hour and a half hour break at half time if I'm out detecting for an 8 hour day. I have readjusted the bungee to suit and my harness. When running large trash cans (24"dd) coils I run an extra bungee. Change your bad habits I say. Ever try massaging magnesium oil into your hands. Found it helps ease cramping and sore joints.

I've stabbed myself a couple of times with my sharpened screwdriver that I use as a probe :p

I used to get hand problems from detecting and thought id developed a problem with the one I hold the detector handgrip with, GPX.
It got me thinking that maybe it was because the handgrip was too narrow for my hand. So I got some of the stuff they wrap around tennis rackets, the cloth stuff. I did a few wraps and made the grip bigger and it also firmed it up. You notice how after a few hours, especially in summer, the minelab Pi grips squash in, that causes your grip to tighten and get smaller. After fattening up the grip my hand problem disappeared. A friend of mine did the same using some rubber tape stuff and reckons it made the world of difference.

Interesting ideas silver, nay have to look into it. I may have to look into learning to use my right hand for detecting, considering I am meant to be ambidextrous (write, play tennis left handed, play cricket, throw and shoot right handed). ;)

Jon, you are on the money regarding the thickness of the hand grips. Often they are too thin, and you find that over the course of detecting that you end up gripping the handle way too tight. When I wrapped the handle of the G2, my hand was much more relaxed, hard to explain unless you actually try it.

My legs get a bit sore from walking on sand for hours at a time, but aside from that I can't complain.
I was chatting to an older bloke today at the beach who also uses a 705, he was telling me his arms gets a bit sore when asking me why I wasn't using the arm strap.
I've never had any issues, but I'm still pretty young and fit. The only time I notice strain on my arms is when I go detecting right after arm or shoulder day at the gym :p

To save our knees we wear work pants with knee pads in them. I got ours from K mart, about $30, they are great. No constricting band around the knee and you can easily slip the pads out for washing.
Donna

A long handled sand scoop is one of the best ideas for the beach, despite the weight and having to drag it around, it really saves your back from continously stooping over to extract targets.

I may have to invest in some knee pads as well, as I am going through sets of jeans like it is going out of fashion. :)

I remember cutting my finger on a ring pull tab on my last trip out in Victoria.

But I was opening the can and the contents did help the pain considerably.......

Latest posts