Water pumps, do's and donts.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. Thinking of upgrading my water pump to a bigger model for when i get my Gold Hog mats. The one i have atm is great and light, but i don't think it would produce enough volume for the new set up which may be wider and longer. My question would be, is a twin impeller a ridiculous overkill? Does it just produce waaaay more pressure? I'm not really sure. There are brand new Honda 5.5's on the net for $500 which is a great price but don't know if it would be too extreme. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

G'day Showmethemoney,
A honda wx15 will do the job or even better a honda gxh 50 with a Keene P-90 pump, capable of 300 lpm and only weighs about 6kg.
The 5.5 is too big and heavy to try and cart any distance through the bush.

Hardyakka

No answers but some things to consider.
Check the volume/head chart for the pump to see if it can supply. Some crappy twin rotors are very inefficient, some more for pressure than flow all depends on design and clearances. Is it self priming?
Have a look at the GH site as it will give approximate volume requirements per sluice width.
How far can you carry this pump?
Some GH mate require more volume than others, which will you use?
Good luck.

Like has been said above weight may be a consideration personally im not fussed I carry a 26kg pump with me when im using my highbanker. Im using honda gx160 with keene p180 pump it is so efficient I can run all day on only a few litres of fuel. I have three other pumps two are twin impellor massive pressure 110 metre head with only 18000 litres per hour great for pumping water up high out of gullies and into holding dams but absolutely useless on fuel. Maybe 2 hours for 5 litres. The other pump is a lifen 33000 litres per hour 35 metre head runs all day on a tank it's 26kg dry and was my favorite pump I think it cost me $400 18 months ago has never let me down.

Sorry to interrupt the topic but I'm yet to find gh actually state a flow rate. Most of the written material states checking flow rates in the field, but as a back up they have provided some video of mats at differing flows. I'm all ears if anyone can point me in the right direction but my search turned up only what i stated above. Bit disappointed i had to test mine but i guess it makes sense, they can't cover every scenario. I run ur in series with mats and expanded depending on material and classification, and banker size one is twice the width and twice as long as the other)the only bonus is ur can exchange out with poor flow.

been a while since i looked at GH matt's but fr4om memory they need alot of water mate.... like a lot as far as im concerned if you can create a good vortex you can ramp it u0p from there less fall and higher pressure means you can process more material and faster. its a volume game alot of the time.

I'm hijacking the thread but well put. I have honestly used ur in a trickle, straight out of the stream, and under bucket. Is it ideal? No. Will it do it in a tiny box? Yes. But i have a couple of ingenious tricks up my sleeve in my design to do it. But on the flip side if i pump in at 12000 lph in the bigger box at 40cm wide i need at least 1/2 inch of depth on the flow or the exchange takes a "v" shape meaning the outer edgees are just simply static, and the centre is overworked and exchanging everything. i only use gh as backup in the ur style, I've tried running combos with gh at the start of my series and i found it wasnt worth the outlay for the benefit, by designing and experimenting you can achieve anything the mats can do as good as they do them. I just feel better seeing the ur there, what it's caught after the series would take a long time to cover cost. In the end its just my opinion and experience they are a good product, and i really should have started another thread. Good luck with the flow and pump choice.

hardyakka said:
G'day Showmethemoney,
A honda wx15 will do the job or even better a honda gxh 50 with a Keene P-90 pump, capable of 300 lpm and only weighs about 6kg.
The 5.5 is too big and heavy to try and cart any distance through the bush.

Hardyakka

This !!
The Keene P-90 pump is a little monster and weighs bugger all.

In regards to posts re Gold Hog mats there is info posted on the Gold Hog forums and Gold Hog videos re flow but more towards what flow is needed for the particular units they build.
E.g the Excavator (about 9 inches wide) they recommend 3000gph. Always keep in mind they are talking about US gallons so take that into consideration when doing conversions.
The Viper about (12 inches wide) and needs minimum of 6500gph but 9000gph is recommended and run a bit over idle.
Keep in mind angle of header box and sluice will have an effect on flow rate but in my experience I keep the sluice at between 9-11 degrees and header at angle so material is running freely out the back of the box.
Been using the mats and units for quite awhile now and have them pretty dialed in. Just set up run a bit of material and adjust and then dig, dig dig.
Easiest thing to do send Doc an email or message through their forums. Real friendly guy, answers will be short but to the point !

Yeah, that's my point elrodeo. My current pump runs 15000 L ph, the wx15 is only 16400 Lph. I would need at least 24000 ph if I build a gold hog dedicated high banker. The wx15 may be light and reliable but I doesn't push enough and is overpriced. Given my current one is almost the same size and spec and only cost $220. So I can get a larger honda for only $500, yeah, it will be a prick to carry but I need the volume. So can I use a twin impeller or not?

Showmethemoney said:
Does the twin impeller use more fuel?

yes the twin impeller works by creating Centrifugal pressure which works against momentum thats why they are often thin and streamlines to reduce drag and as such have low volume outputs.

Keene rate the P-90 at 100 US gpm (22,200 lph)
I also have a Keene P-160 set up on a Honda GX 100. Rated at 200 US gpm (44,400 lph)
It only weighs 11.5 kg and i can run 2 trommels or highbankers with 1200 x 400mm sluice boxes on them at just above idle and only a couple of litres of fuel per day

hardyakka said:
Keene rate the P-90 at 100 US gpm (22,200 lph)
I also have a Keene P-160 set up on a Honda GX 100. Rated at 200 US gpm (44,400 lph)
It only weighs 11.5 kg and i can run 2 trommels or highbankers with 1200 x 400mm sluice boxes on them at just above idle and only a couple of litres of fuel per day

arent keene just the bom diggity.... wish they were more common in Australia they certainly produce better than the aussie counterpart :(

not hard to import, i buy a lot of gear direct from them.
Usually have it within 10 days of order

i know i import stock myself but id like to see some manufacturers like honda using them, i know davy is pretty good but they are soo clunky and heavy and whats more aussie than strapping a big turbo onto a pump

Don't be fooled into believing just cause it's Honda it's made in Japan.
Designed in Japan, made no ! Honda was one of the first manufactures to move offshore due to the high production costs in Japan.
I lived in Japan for well over a decade and have been involved in the Auto Part business there and still am.
Big misconception that the Honda gear is manufactured in Japan. Manufacturing countries are Chine and Thailand period.
Anyone telling you different is talking well bull.... ! Ask a Japanese Honda dealer where they are made ! Not your average dealer but National sales rep.
Trust me they ain't made in Japan and haven't been for a long time. A little bit different with the Japanese domestic market as still manufactured offshore but assembled in Japan.

Having said that Keene use Honda pumps and as Hard Yakka said , the pumps are not hard to import and neither are the spare parts.
I ended up getting a used P-90 off Diggerdude and bought a brand new one form Keene awhile back plus spare parts (seals) and run it on a Honda GX50.
Turbo design is very efficient design and that's why the Skyline spanked Ford and Holden's arse !

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EP

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DMP

elrodeo said:
Don't be fooled into believing just cause it's Honda it's made in Japan.
Designed in Japan, made no ! Honda was one of the first manufactures to move offshore due to the high production costs in Japan.
I lived in Japan for well over a decade and have been involved in the Auto Part business there and still am.
Big misconception that the Honda gear is manufactured in Japan. Manufacturing countries are Chine and Thailand period.
Anyone telling you different is talking well bull.... ! Ask a Japanese Honda dealer where they are made ! Not your average dealer but National sales rep.
Trust me they ain't made in Japan and haven't been for a long time. A little bit different with the Japanese domestic market as still manufactured offshore but assembled in Japan.

Having said that Keene use Honda pumps and as Hard Yakka said , the pumps are not hard to import and neither are the spare parts.
I ended up getting a used P-90 off Diggerdude and bought a brand new one form Keene awhile back plus spare parts (seals) and run it on a Honda GX50.
Turbo design is very efficient design and that's why the Skyline spanked Ford and Holden's arse !

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EP

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DMP

lol who said it was made in japan? :)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-07/australia-japan-free-trade-deal/5372242

we only just struck a deal today didn't we....

Made in Japan or not I'm sure they have stringent controls and supervision in place. iPhones are made in China and they are about the most refined and flawless bit of gear you could hope to purchase.
So pumps aren't pumps ay. Something as simple as a different pump on the same engine can make a world of difference? Might have to look into these Keene items but don't want to spend the world either. Just want high volume and reliability. Would hope it lasts me my lifetime.

Latest posts