Gold ring and Half Penny

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went for a swing under some big old trees in a park today, got about $15 in goldies a 1926 Half Penny and a 9K Gold ring.

Aldi detectors rock in parks and ovals. Can discriminate modern pull tabs quite reliably with practice but has trouble with the older ones.

Anyway was a good couple of hours detecting.

1395292473_20140320_155405.jpg

Nice finds, funny about pull tabs, most modern detector seem to discriminate out the old ones, but not the pull tabs from modern cans. What did the ring pop up as on the display? :)

Nice work, gold in the poc :p
I'd like to check out one of these Aldi detectors I keep hearing about!

SF

Goldpick said:
Nice finds, funny about pull tabs, most modern detector seem to discriminate out the old ones, but not the pull tabs from modern cans. What did the ring pop up as on the display? :)

The detector thinks it's a key, I don't use the display at all except maybe the depth reading occasionally , which doesn't really work well either.

I just listen to the tones, the Gold ring was solid tones mid and occasional high with no blanking. Silver gives a high tone with no blanking.

Modern pulltabs can go either mid, low or high but with a bit of blanking in one direction.

Foil just blanks mostly.

I maybe missing a few good targets but not many, occasionally I'll dig a pull tab just to be sure I'm right.

20c, 50c, 1 and 2 dollar goldies are solid mid tone in any direction.

5c, 10c coins give a low tone mostly the same as bottle tops, though some bottle tops give a solid mid tone like a goldie.

Got a Silver ear stud I forgot about too. Was a solid high tone in any direction.

1395304566_20140320_193441.jpg

I managed to pick one up at Parramatta Aldi for $69 last week. Still haven't taken it out of the box. Might give it a go.

Nicely done Heatho! Gotta be pleased with that result. :)
That Aldi Detector should pay for itself many times over!

Looking forward to future updates!
All the best out there.
Shauno.

Thanks Shauno, I'm going to give it a good go, so many parks to try here in between trips away. Thinking of having a swing down on one of the beaches this week with GPX on Coin/Relic mode and see whats down in the depths of some of the popular beaches around here. Been such a busy Summer around here, beaches packed everyday.

Let me know if you're keen for some urban prospecting if you're ever in town, would be fun.

All the best mate.

No Wally, different park, was under old large tree roots about 15cm down, so has been there quite a long time, knew it was a good target being under the roots, nearly gave up on it, took 20mins to extract. Come over for swing sometime if you like and we can hit a park or 2.

Heatho said:
No Wally, different park, was under old large tree roots about 15cm down, so has been there quite a long time, knew it was a good target being under the roots, nearly gave up on it, took 20mins to extract. Come over for swing sometime if you like and we can hit a park or 2.

Hi Heath, your invite slipped my radar, work has been a bit hectic. Once it has settled down I will take you up on the offer and give you a call.

In the mean time keep up the good work :cool:

Latest posts