tools for parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what tools you use in parks, especially on harder/compact ground. So far I have gone through 3 hand trowels :mad: Wouldn't mind seeing some of the tools people have brought/made to make the digging more easier and leaving little impact.

Hi willo.
Some people avoid manicured lawns when the ground is dry and hard. Come back after some soaking rain makes digging easier.
There are tools available from various makers that are tough to break. Ihave the Garret digging tool.
Have a look on youtube for coin popping and the slit method. Hope this helps

Ramjet.

1394976851_1626200_digger_lg.jpg

I've given up on the ol Garrett trowel (lost it a while back), now I just carry my minelab finds pouch, pro-find, backup Nokta RS pinpointer, spare 9v battery, and a mid size flathead screwdriver for recovery. I also have a brass tipped probe if I happen to come across an area with pre-decs, but they are few and far between. :)

I have Lesche Sampson shovel as well as the digging tool above. Google relic shovel if you want to get an idea of what is available.

Hi Guys,
Same problem as Willo with the added problem of about 4 inches of coarse couch grass before even hitting any dirt. Plenty of targets but very frustrating with inches of inpenetrable couch.
Bunnings serrated edged trowel thingo busted, screwdriver doesn't cut it (so to speak) either.
The Garret or Leche tools good on couch?
Cheers Tom

Bahco Demolition tool.
Mine has dug nearly $2000 out of the grass.
Cheap as from your local tool shop.
Pair that with a Xterra 705 and a Minelab pinpointer and yr set.
1395048628_digger_001.jpg

The best tool is the little eagle shovel it's what I use.
Have used some hand tools suggested prior when i
Started out years ago.

No need to bend down on your knees and play and force
Yourself in the soil with your hand tool especially when
ground Is dry.

No need to get your knees wet either if grass is wet.

http://www.predatortools.com/item_details.asp?ID=16

Just hold shovel and step in ground with your foot. Do this
3 times to create a rectangle plug pull back find target and
put Plug back in. Nice, fast and simple.

ha ha or just go to bunning same true temper tool is about $5.
Wolfau digging a complete square plug as you described is not good . A complete plug will lift out and possible jam or damage lawn mowers. I never dig completely around a plug, only 2 or 3 side flip then it just flips back in hole & I often just use screw driver with no plug. grass has much better chance of staying alive.

Shane said:
Bahco Demolition tool.
Mine has dug nearly $2000 out of the grass.
Cheap as from your local tool shop.
Pair that with a Xterra 705 and a Minelab pinpointer and yr set.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2106/1395048628_digger_001.jpg

Thanks Shane

I have been thinking all week about cutting off the end of a knife for exactly that purpose, I don't need to worry now as I have just purchased one off the net.

For those that are interested Bunnings do a similar one a bit cheaper with some serrations to get through that thick grass but the holster on the bahco secured the deal for me. :cool:

Bunnings version about $19

1395055175_image.jpg

Must add, I will have to get one of those fancy shovels one day too :lol: :p :lol:

dave14110 said:
ha ha or just go to bunning same true temper tool is about $5.
Wolfau digging a complete square plug as you described is not good . A complete plug will lift out and possible jam or damage lawn mowers. I never dig completely around a plug, only 2 or 3 side flip then it just flips back in hole & I often just use screw driver with no plug. grass has much better chance of staying alive.

My apoligy. Just re read my reply and corrected it.

What i meant to say is to cut 3 inserts in the shape of
a c and flip plug over. Never suggested to remove it
though sometimes it Does break depending on the
grass and ground.

The lesche hand tool is about 2" wide and the shovel i
suggested which i use is 3.5" from the point and 4.5"
From the top.

Using a screw driver is simply crazy. You have a chance
Of scratching the coin and you may end up with an inch
Hole of pushed soil trying to pry coin out.

Each to their own.

For me the fastest recovery method is the one
i suggested. If you want to get on your knees
And do it the hard way this is up to you.

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. The shovels that wolfau and ramjet suggested look the part. There are some small shovels at the hardware store that would do the job, I will just have to give it a quick hair cut with the angle grinder :)

willo1 said:
Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. The shovels that wolfau and ramjet suggested look the part. There are some small shovels at the hardware store that would do the job, I will just have to give it a quick hair cut with the angle grinder :)

I made a plug cutter out of an old shovel that was laying around. Obviously not as good as the Stainless steel ones but it does the job.

1395090640_20131119_153221.jpg

Latest posts