Camping Recipes / Cooking ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm one those people that eats a lot of tinned and packaged food when out camping, to be honest my cooking skills are limited at the best of times so trying to cook over a camp fire or gas top for me can be rather challenging.

If anyone has a camping recipe they would like to share I would love to hear about it. Post up a pic too if you have one.

You can't go past curry sausages :D

2 sausages
1/2 onion or 1 small one
1/2 cup beef or chicken stock
1 table spoon curry powder
1 table spoon plain flour
1 table spoon oil

Bring the sausages to boil in a pot with just enough water to cover them then simmer for about 10 minutes. Take out the sausages and cut into pieces. Add oil to a pan and fry the onion until soft, add the curry powder, stock and bring to boil. Add sausages and let simmer for around another 10 minutes then add the flour to thicken it up. If you wanted to add peas or anything you could put them in with the stock.

Its usually enough for one person and I usually add peas and a bit of salt, just double the ingredients to feed two people. Hopefully I didn't miss anything out.

For a sweet type curry add a tea or tablespoon or strawberry or plum jam - it will surprisingly make it taste different if you do the usuall curries

Harry

Nugget,

i am in the same boat with tin food. I can cook but it is very handy to have packaged food when you dont have an engle or likes. I just take an esky for beer cheese and milk. The meals are ususlly casserole type tins, jaffles from an jaffle iron. I must admit after a few days it gets abit boring but the run into town will break that with the fresh meal craving.

Regards Harry

Sundried tomato and olive damper

3 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tblsp butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
handful chopper sundried tomatoes
handful chopper pitted olives

Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Add the water, sundried tomatoes and olives to the flour mixture and mix together using your hands, adding 1-2 tbs extra water if the mixture is a little dry. Knead gently for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.

Shape into an 18cm disc and cover with foil.

Place foil onto some hot coals, making sure to cover the foil with some hot coals also.
Leave for approximately 20ish mins (may vary) depending on the amount of heat in the coals.

Break damper apart, and serve with some butter.

Its a bit of stuffing around, but well worth the effort!

Will definitely try that one on the next camp trip Boyd...that sounds better than what I eat at home....cheers Wal. :)

When we camp, we eat very much the same as at home, (Cooking being one of our passions). One memorable occasion, #1 Son Cleaned and packed the gas stove... Minus the hose to The gas bottle. :( my lovely lady cooked every meal for the week over hot fire. Got some great tips on use of the camp oven from my dad :) I love food cooked with smoke and flame.adds a unique flavour. Most home Cooked meals can be cooked while camping.

kemjak57 said:
Careful Wal, you might not get anything tonight if Liz sees that post. :D

You're right there mate...I only just realized that as i was pressing the submit button :eek: ....good thing i had dinner early....Cheers Wal. :eek:

Old thread but, next time you head out try a Maggie one pan sachet the garlic and parsley chicken it is beautiful. Cook in a cast iron pot on fire low heat, diced frozen chicken, 1/2 sliced onion, couple cups of frozen peas, herb and spice to taste and add packet mix and water then stir and add desired amount off rice and add water to allow for rice to soak up flavours, cook for about 1/2 hour stir couple of times should end up like a creamy wet resoto. On a cold night after a hard day you can't beat this.

Guarantee you won't be hungry till lunch the next day!!!

If I'm heading on a longer trip I wrap frozen goods in foil then newspaper and another layer of foil will keep in a cool esky for about 2 days

Trial at home these packets are good, get a feel for what you want to change to your liking. :)

Good luck

Being able to enjoy a good home cooked meal when you are roughing it is an essential part of being "out there"

We came across and excellent system by THERMOS a few years back when doing the Big Loop with a group of fellow travelers

The Shuttle Chef is a vacuum insulated outer container like a wide mouth Thermos flask with heavy based saucepans inside and all you have to do is bring your meal to the boil in the saucepan and then place the whole thing inside the Thermos and close the lid.

This can be done in the morning and the meal is still hot some 10 hours later...great when you are on to something and don't want to come in until dark or the back gives out.

There is a web site with lots of excellent recipe available to use with this little treasure.

regards

xobazzip

outback jack those currie sausages sound so friggin great cant wait to give it a crack :cool:

Home made Baked Beans
This is a Favourite camping or at home.
Very simple to make. Great for people like Nugget who eat out of cans ;)

1 Onion
1 Chorizo
1 handful diced bacon.
1 can diced tomatoes.
1can of beans (red kidney or 4 bean mix)
1 to 2 tablespoon of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika.

Cook the onion, chorizo and bacon.
Add everything else, cook for ten minutes or so. Cooked longer the flavour develops
Done.
A piece of damper or bread and an egg.
Great breaky

A simple recipe that you can add or omit any ingredients you like.
To make the basic recipe better, use smoked meat such as Speck or similar.
You can use any sausage, cabana etc you like.
Left over sausages from last nights camp dinner... Throw them in.
A pinch of chilli if you like the heat.
Add mince and chilli powder and call it Chilli Con Carne
Cooking for a crowd.. Just double everything. I usually go 1 can kidney beans and 1 of 4 bean mix.

I put a pic in the Today I Cooked thread.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=29204#p29204

We have experimented with Inverter run Breadmaker in the van and have the final recipe for crusty bread when ever we need it.
600g flour
1 teaspoon yeast
400ml water
This recipe makes a large loaf, so am going to reduce ingredients with next trial.
Set the breadmaker to commence cycle at 0230hrs, crusty loaf baked at 0630hrs.
Will save valuable freezer space on long trips away from townships.

Inverter-Breadmaker001.jpg

Bush Tucker.
Roast Chicken & vegies

1. Two large aluminium trays.[/*]
  2. Dig a hole and light fire to get good supply of hot, glowing coals. ****Caution**** Cover hole, or extinguish fire when finished so no one steps into it in the dark, because coals will remain hot for over 24 hours.[/*]
  3. Place chicken in foil tray, pour oil (preferably olive) over chicken. Peel a whole onion and cut in half and place either side of chicken Insert a clove of garlic inside chicken.. (Not essential)[/*]
  4. Cover tray with several layers of alfoil.[/*]
  5. Place tray on bare ground, shovel ash around tray up too the foil cover height.. Now shovel hot glowing coals onto the tray ensuring the lid is completely covered. Check the time!!!![/*]
  6. Prepare vegies, place in plastic bag and dust with cornflour. Place in second tray with olive oil and cover with foil.[/*]
  7. Open tin of peas/ beans or what ever ready for heating.[/*]
  8. Mix up a packet of Chicken gravy and water and place on side of cooking fire grate to simmer.[/*]
  9. When the chicken has been cooking for one hour, place veg tray next to it... Once again repeat step 5.[/*]
  10. Note the time and now heat the greens and prepare the gravy.[/*]
  11. 40 minutes after recovering with coals remove chicken and vegies.[/*]
  12. Total cooking time 1 hour 40 minutes for a family size chicken.[/*]
Enjoy, it is delicious.

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

G'day All,

Ramjet, no way I'd get down wind of you after them beans :eek: Will give the recipe a go but Cheers.

Here's a couple of simple ones even a bloke like me can't stuff up!

*Lazy Man's Damper

4 cups SR flour
Small spoon of butter (If you have it)
Pinch of salt (If you like it)
1 Beer

Knead together and cook for 25 mins or so in a greased/preheated Camp Oven.

*Stew

Bugger measuring, Throw any meat of choice, veges, pasta and what ever else tickles ya fancy in Camp Oven/Pot with water and flour to thicken.

Cook on low heat for a few hours, If there's a few of ya's and you need to get rid of some supplies? Keep adding as you take out. (It'll be at it's best after few days)

And Nightjar, that roast sounds bloody good :)

Also a great recipe book to read is Reg & Jack Abslom's "Outback Cooking in the Camp Oven"

Best of luck Dal

Latest posts