AT GOLD OR AT PRO?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavfromoz

Gav
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know some of you are using the AT Pro and some are using the AT Gold.

I'm at a crossroads and have tried researching it for a while now. I also know that some replies will be that it's up to the user's personal preference.

Is there such a thing as one being better than the other, for detecting the yellow stuff in the bush and a bit on the beach? not much into old coins or relics.

Also while researching, I've come across these ads on eBay. Are they worth it or are they too good to be true? Being new to this entire area, I could easily fall into the ripoff traps and need your advice.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251245609106?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649 (AT PRO)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251236723509?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649 (AT GOLD)

Cheers
Gav

Gday mate i got my at gold for package for 50 bucks less then that (minus the carry case) from an Australian dealer so unless there has been a major price hike that i am unaware of that's about the right price, now in reference to your "which detector" question i can tell ya the at gold can find anything the pro can, HOWEVER you mentioned that you were interested in doing a bit of beech detecting, and the dealer told me the gold was terrible around salt water and should be avoided on beeches. If you like id be more then happy to put you onto the bloke who sold me mine, he MAY be able to do you a better deal and saves the implied risks of using ebay

Thanks GH, that sounds excellent. I'm just patiently waiting on my bonus to come through lol. I'm hoping to kick off my purchasing of the goodies I need once that happens. I'll definitely be in touch.

It's pretty amazing (yet profoundly annoying) researching everything but knowing that my hands are tied and I have to turn a blind eye to all the special deals going on at the moment in regards to accessories etc. So while I have to be patient and wait, I'm filling my head with as much knowledge about this hobby as possible and then to learn to actually do it right :)

As I've never been exposed to fossicking/prospecting before, there's just so much to learn. I'm really looking forward to the training weekends

at pro in my opinion. i dont own either of them but researched them recently looking for my new detector. at gold is great on the gold field but cant handle wet salt sand. at pro is "nearly" as good on the gold field but is excellent on the beach in wet sand and dry sand but also has the advantage of being waterproof to 3 meters.

look into where you will be detecting more and buy one suited to that area.

Thanks for that Paul. I've sort of been leaning towards the AT Pro due to the fact that you can use it in shallow water in creeks with ease as well in the inter-tidal waters of the beaches. Of course I'd love to ow a ML5K but that will happen in time.

As I'm just starting out, I have to learn everything as I go, so the places I'll be looking at for the immediate future would be up in the Blue Mountains and the beaches, just to kick start this hobby and, once I get more knowledge, I can venture further afield.

After reading through the older posts with much interest, I like the look and reports regarding the Nel Hunter Coils as well, so this will be on my wish list as well etc etc. Thanks to everyone, this site is my "bible" as it covers almost everything I need to learn about and so on :)

Hi Gav

Have a read around this forum. Lots of info on the AT pro and gold.
I believe the Gold is aimed more for gold as the name suggests.
The Pro is more a coin relic machine.
Different frequencies for each. I think the gold will punch deeper into the ground.
The gold is waterproof but apparently doesn't like salt water.
If it's gold you're chasing then maybe the ATGold is best?
Just my thoughts.
I have a Pro for coins etc. Intend on getting a more gold specific machine eventually.

Good luck

Rod
Check these threads....
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2170

Hi Rod, interesting threads there. It's always interesting to see and read everyone's feedback on various machines and of course, the comments about specific machines which the members own and used.

I'm still stuck in the middle as far as the choices go. As I've said, I'm just starting out and would love the latest baby but just can't afford it right now so I've decided to start with what is in my price range and gradually progress as time goes on. I've read somewhere that most people start off small and use the gold they find, to pay for the upgrades or additional equipment and toys.

Do you think that fitting the Nel Hunter coil to your Pro, would enhance the operating specs when out detecting gold in the field?

Both machines serve their own purpose but hopefully this will help you make your decision.

AT Pro - Suitable for coin and relic and has more discrimination options over AT Gold for this purpose, OK around salt water, can be used for gold prospecting but mineralised ground may be an issue.

AT Gold - Suitable for gold prospecting but also great for coin and relic hunting with limited discrimination patterns, designed to handle mild to moderate mineralised ground conditions, a noticeable increase in sensitivity / responsiveness on smaller targets and a slight increase in depth penetration over the AT Pro, no good around salt water (dry beach is perfectly fine), internal speaker is much louder than the AT Pro.

Based on my research and various reports on the forum, a NEL Hunter searchcoil should improve the sensitivity and depth penetration on both of these machines. I'm getting one for my AT Gold very soon so I'll be sure to post up a comparison when I do.

What Nugget said :)
If you are after a general purpose machine the AT Pro is the go.
If you are hunting gold mostly than I would go the AT Gold.
The AT Gold should find gold better than the Pro... Except if you are after gold in salty conditions.
The AT Gold will find gold plus coins n relics.
But if it's gold on beaches you are chasing, maybe the Pro is better suited?
I have not used a Nel coil so cannot add anything on them.

You're priorities ?
How long is a piece of string :D

Rod

*cough cough* Teknetics G2 *cough cough* 18khz *cough* good for gold and handles wet sand, just to throw a spanner in the works.... lol sorry

As the other guys have stated, find what sort of detecting you will mostly do and buy one to suit that area.

garnethawkins said:
Gday mate i got my at gold for package for 50 bucks less then that (minus the carry case) from an Australian dealer so unless there has been a major price hike that i am unaware of that's about the right price,

There was a price increase on August 1st (apparently around 25%), both the AT Gold and AT Pro increased by around $100.

Thanks guys, your info is very much appreciated. I have thought about this ever since I decided that the bush with all it's critters, also have all it's gold :) I would be doing the odd beach search , especially after a hot day, packed beaches etc but here is my situation and what I would love to do.

I was reasonably fit (prev work in the law enforcement/rescue/RFS) until my Dr in her wisdom sent me for a stress test. After 5 by-pass surgery and serious golden staph infections lol, they may as well have cut my nuts off. I had to give it all up. Limited fitness etc now but keen as hell to start and learn all I can and hopefully do this on a scale which includes weekdays as well.

I may not be able to walk many km's or carry 100kg but I'm not old enough to lay down and let the angels have their way with me (just turned 50).

This is the reason for all the oohing and aaahing but I have now decided, after everyone's guidance, that the AT Gold is the way to go for me and I will probably get the Nel Hunter at the same time. So in a month or so, I should be ready to go if all goes well. Just wondering whether it's advisable to bring an MP7 to speak snake language lol, just kidding. Well there you have it in a nutshell (excuse the pun) so I would be looking at tag alongs soon if it doesn't include marathon walks :)

If gold is you're target and beach detecting only 20% then I would get the AT Gold.
The only thing the ATGold cannot do is salty conditions. You should find gold plus coins and relics anywhere but the salty conditions at the beach?

Thanks mate, I'm sure the next few weeks is going to be hell, waiting for everything to be finalised. In the meantime, it's back to researching of the hobby and learning, learning, learning. I'm glad I have excellent mentors on this forum :)

I have an AT Gold and have found plenty of coins and relics, even on the beach. The only thing is you have stay away from the wet sand, in the dry it works just as good as the pro. I am still waiting to get to a decent gold field to find my first nugget though. :rolleyes:

Waz

I can't wait for the Summer to arrive, bringing with it, the huge amounts of beach-goers and their jewelry which they just can't wait to lose lol. I seriously think that perhaps as I start my hobby, it will be beaches during the week and creeks up in the mountains, on weekends. It's quite a challenge getting everything that I need since I had to start from scratch but as exciting and interesting as hell :)

Nt trying to hijack this thread but has anyone here found gold with the at gold? As you said it will be 80% gold fields i too will want it for that reason

G'day mate, I haven't started detecting yet, still gathering all the goodies together but I'm sure there will be quite a few blokes who had success with the AT Gold. I'm sure they will respond to this post soon :)

Latest posts