Share your CTX 3030 settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I would share my settings and hopefully other CTX users will do the same. It's always interesting to see how others use their machine.

Depends on where I am and how trashy the area is but I generally use the standard coin mode pattern/open screen with 4 tone Conductive and custom bins and tones. Target seperation set to Gound Coin.

1450138100_img_20150805_192104.jpg

That's my beach mode but it has the same bins and tones

On the user button I have another standard coin mode pattern/open screen with 50 Conductive tones with the htz raised 100 across the board and Ferrous Coin.

Sensitivity on manual at 27-22, rarely use auto but if I do it's +3. Volume gain on 30, target trace and target trace pinpoint both on, pinpoint on sizing, recovery on normal but I occasionally use fast and I switch between the 11 inch and the 6 inch coil a fair bit. I also have a custom Relic mode with Combined tones and another mode with 4 tone Ferrous that's great in the iron

I use mine with either the standard coin pattern and the 2nd pattern on coin is open, then I also coppied the coin pattern to a user mode with my custom goldies pattern as pattern 2 in that mode, so I can quickly switch to the goldies pattern if I suspect goldies are among heavy trash. I generally use the high trash setting with 4 tone conductive, fast, normal audio, deep off, auto sensitivity, no ground balance as the soil here is very benign. If there is a lot of iron trash I'll switch to ferrous/coin mode. Volume gain about 20-25, target trace and pinpoint trace on, pinpoint normal.

I also have a custom Aussie Silvers program, but I'm going to remake it soon for better accuracy.

Very similar setup Heatho, the silver pattern has me intrigued. Should post some shots of it

I run in combined with anything above 16 FE at 100 so it grunts right across the screen.
Open screen 100% of the time.
I have started running with no threshold and lower sensitivity around 12-16 in really trashy parks as this really helps to separate tones. And no threshold and max sensitivity when cleaning up a coin patch as it really tends to punch deeper.
I tick everything Recovery Deep, Recovery fast and seawater. Target seperation always Ferrous-Coin. And response Normal in lower trash and Smooth in those really trashy sites as I feel smooth tends to allow it to separate better in combined.
Target trace is one of the things I cannot live without, when in heavy trash and there is no tone but a tight little dot in the right area of the screen I always dig as it is seeing something amongst the crap in the ground.

Anyone that has not played with combined I highly recommend this as each park is different and this is how you can discriminate without rejecting tones and slowing your machine down. And this is true to our Silvers when you can go from a 1942 3p at 12-40 to a 1950 3P at 12-26. I have 2, one with anything above 19 CON 900 and another with only above 40 CON 900.

Very interesting goldwright, thanks for posting. I have used Combined a bit but not for awhile now. I used to have a coin pattern with it on the user button instead of the 50 conductive with ferrous coin. I found that conductive tones hit harder than combined at depth but I don't think I was using 30 volume gain back then. Might have to give it another crack, being able to give iron a low grunt is definitely an awesome feature.

Coinballs said:
Very similar setup Heatho, the silver pattern has me intrigued. Should post some shots of it

I just sampled a lot of silver coins, both pre 1946 and post 1946 for the varying amounts of silver. When I do the new program I can send it to you to install on your machine if you like?

goldwright said:
I run in combined with anything above 16 FE at 100 so it grunts right across the screen.
Open screen 100% of the time.
I have started running with no threshold and lower sensitivity around 12-16 in really trashy parks as this really helps to separate tones. And no threshold and max sensitivity when cleaning up a coin patch as it really tends to punch deeper.
I tick everything Recovery Deep, Recovery fast and seawater. Target seperation always Ferrous-Coin. And response Normal in lower trash and Smooth in those really trashy sites as I feel smooth tends to allow it to separate better in combined.
Target trace is one of the things I cannot live without, when in heavy trash and there is no tone but a tight little dot in the right area of the screen I always dig as it is seeing something amongst the crap in the ground.

Anyone that has not played with combined I highly recommend this as each park is different and this is how you can discriminate without rejecting tones and slowing your machine down. And this is true to our Silvers when you can go from a 1942 3p at 12-40 to a 1950 3P at 12-26. I have 2, one with anything above 19 CON 900 and another with only above 40 CON 900.

I was using combined also GW but a lot of the parks I detect have so much trash all the grunts were driving me mad so I went back to discriminating iron out. I do use Ferrous coin a bit when going over ground I've already done to see if anything is hiding near iron trash.

High Trash setting works well for me as it allows me to pick up the pace a little allowing a faster swing speed.

Yeah great thread, good to see how different people are using their detectors.

I dig just about every tone now, unless I am in a park that is well kept as our ground is just that hard all year round except for the wet season digging plugs is virtually impossible. Most of my work is done in baron fields so digging lots of holes isn't a real issue and I have to use a pick anyway and I am surprised at how many times I have a tight dot on the screen and the machine is just grunting and out pops a penny or a silver from in among rusty steel. So being confident with your CTX is more than likely the best setting you can have.

I hear you Heatho the grunting can get a bit much but have just learned to live with it I think or maybe I am just a little crazy in the head ha ha.

I found a 9ct wedding ring the other day for a client and I walked about for about 2 hours looking for it during which time I picked up about $25 in goldies and each one the person was like is that my ring nah thats a $2 coin, nah thats a $1 coin and then thats your ring and they where like how do you know double tone and a very nice 12-18 there it was on the ground in the grass, I just love my CTX.

Yeah I'm with you mate, the double tones with anything that is 12-something I always dig hoping for gold rings but it's generally pull tabs for me, the grounds here are infested with them from weekend sports, will hopefully get a gold ring soon with the CTX (found 3 nice ones with the Aldi) but I can see myself digging a lot more pulltabs and ringpulls before 1 shows up.

I don't know if you read one of my earlier posts in a different thread but I sort of detect in layers, going for the easiest identifiable targets like silvers and goldies and then going for iffier targets in future passes. I regularly detect over the same places and always seem to pull more good stuff, I generally keep at it until there is very little left. Never had a good target come out with a low grunt so I just went back to discriming out the junk and to give my ears a break. Though when I get some of my spots down to a comfortably smaller amount of junk I might go back to combined with an open screen and see what's there in amongst it all.

Yeah love mine too, really glad I bought it.

Yeah righto Heatho although I don't use xchange, I just modify everything on the detector

My 4 Tone Ferrous

1450255770_imag3469.jpg

My Combined coin mode

1450255978_imag3470.jpg

My Relic mode with Combined

1450256090_imag3468.jpg

Latest posts