Wide Mouth Plastic Shovel for Beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Masters are selling a wide mouth plastic shovel for $60. I just bought one of these and can't wait to try it out.

Update - I've just had word that Bunnings are selling the exact same shovel for $43.95. I guess I should have shopped around lol

17bneh.jpg

Just what I need, seen these in use at beaches on youtub they look like they work quick & easy.

So I got to test out the shovel tonight, and although it did take a bit of getting used to I found it works really well. I'm going to drill some holes at the back of the spade to allow for sieving but other than that I hardly had to bend over at all and it made detecting a whole lot easier. The other good thing is I can drag it behind me to mark out where Ive been.

I'll put up a pic once I've made the modification.

Yep that's exactly what I've seen darren doing on beach in his video's. These definatly look like they save your back and as you say you can drag it behind to use as griding so you know where you have been. gotta get one.

Mate thats fantastic, it can also be used as a whacking tool against troublesome hoons if need be lol

I don't like using weapons on people but it will help with the hole to put them in. LOL

Quick update on the modification. The sieving action works very well, it just makes beach detecting so much easier, no more sore back or knees :D

Looks the goods with the holes, a trip to Bunnings will be on the cards soon.

What size holes did you drill in it? Look about 10mm (3/8)

Did you use it in wet/damp sand or just dry?

DaBilda said:
Looks the goods with the holes, a trip to Bunnings will be on the cards soon.

What size holes did you drill in it? Look about 10mm (3/8)

Did you use it in wet/damp sand or just dry?

I believe they are 10mm holes but you could go 12mm or even slightly bigger if you wanted to.

I've used it in both wet and dry sand and only sieve the last bit of sand after bringing the target to the surface.

I bought one of these with the same thing in mind.
Decided to keep it for shoveling the sheep sh*t and bought a Garrett hand scoop instead.

Thanks duck, I ended up putting in another 2-3 rows which helps to get rid of the sand quicker.

Hi Nugget, I saw that shovel being used on a beach in a video, (didn't have holes) & I saw them in Masters last week,(didn't see them in Bunnings though) but I thought they were a bit dear & also a bit heavy for me, (I'm a pensioner), but I suppose dragging it behind wouldn't be too bad.

Latest posts