magnet fishing in sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi has anyone done magnet fishing before.
i tried it in sydney harbour at walsh bay off of the piers.
did not find much except for heaps of iron flakes

I've always liked the look of it,... old wells and waterholes. :)

Well my 18kg magnet came today so I took it down the river with my girls....nothing.

18kg magnet was simply not enough to hold what it was grabbing. It certainly was grabbing stuff but the rocks and how weak the magnet was..it all fell off and failed.

I thought they were gonna be neodymium but plain ol horse shoe basically

Ill buy another in the future, ill look into a 80 - 100kg but it will probably get stuck to a car or bridge but at least I won't be wasting time

So make sure your magnet is at least a 50kg minimum otherwise fridge magnets would work better.

Ill try the neodymiums from hard drives, they will work better than the retrieval magnet that didn't retrieve

Hope my fail helps you all lol :)

I got some gold out of which stuck to the gaffa tape I had wrapped around it all though so not all bad 8)

The idea certainly has potential for some fun with the kids, but it wasn't fun today as we didn't even see a nail due to a weak magnet
18kg my ass.. that's my daughters weight and there's no way hell that could hold her even if she was sitting on flat steel and the magnet had perfect surface on it.. I tried to attach it to the bridge and even that failed :mad:

Missus saw a huge cray so I jumped in, got my fingers round it, but he fogged up the water making me concerned for me little fingers so I left him be

Heatho said:
100kg magnet and a winch AR. :D
Lol... no joke though man.. it was like using a cheap fridge magnet.. it wasn't sticking to iron lol

Certainly 50kg minimum just to have fun doing it I reccomend

It was very easy and certainly fun though. I did it from river bank and also dropping it from a bridge

Latest posts