What sluice and pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at entry level sluicing, I don't have a lot of room to cart stuff so looking at a recirculating sluice system.

I'm interested in getting a recirculating sluice similar to one of these 2
http://www.aussiedetectors.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3204897
http://www.aussiedetectors.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3204816

Re pump, I believe I have 3 basic choices, as it is a small sluice and I want to run it near dams when operating, where I'll get water from. They are a bilge pump, a petrol pump or a 240V pump. I will be tripping with my trusty Honda 2000 anyway.

I'm not too keen on the petrol pump for the following reasons, bloody noisy, I don't have a lot of space to carry one and I'm not going to be sucking water from a source.

Re Bilge pumps, I'm told a 2000 preferably 3000 litre per hour will do the job and I can run it from my 4x4 auxiliary battery (100AH)

Re 240V, I'm looking at a 250 to 500 watt Ozito dirty water pump from Bunnings, upwards of 5000 litres/hr and heads of between 5 and 8 metres. This I can run off the Honda, very quiet and not working hard.

I understand the science that the higher the head, the lower the flow, similarly with length of pipe.

I'd be very grateful for your opinions on a. sluices and b. pumps.

Thanks,

Be careful of those bigger bilge pumps I had a 3700lph and it sucked my deep cycle reserve battery in my car flat in 15mins. They draw a hell of a lot of current on the bigger pumps. My battery is rated at 120ah and is fairly new.
Seems like a pump that can run off your generator is a better option if you wanna stay away from the petrol side of things. Btw you can get 4 stroke pumps that are small size like 1" or 1.5" that are relatively quiet. The 2 stroke pumps are a lot louder.
As for sluices I got no idea there's so many out there I have seen some nice Angus mckirk setups using a bigger tub as a recirculating system that work well. There's some vids on YouTube. But I think your looking at something that u can throw your dirt in without classifying to much.

Bilge pumps are generally rayed at galons per hour not liters. I run a 3700 for cleanups in the backyard its great but does suck juice. I run a 2000 gph Johnson which is perfect for a small highbanker sluice to about 200mm wide. Any wider you would want more flow.

Personally i have both petrol and battery pumps both 2 stroke and 4. High volume and high pressure. Every pump is good for a certain situation and for what you are doing id go with a good bilge pump. Good thing about going bigger is you can run a volt controller between your pump and you're battery and limit the flow. The 3700 gph pumps are built to be run for long periods as they need to be able to bilge out the hull of a large vessel and dafe your life at sea. Ive bought two the first was a piece of xxxx the second one only $70 on ebay has lasted me ages. It will straighten 40mm layflat hose.

Oh no.....well the unit itself is great the capture run is not good, if you buy this pull the riffles straight out or ask the maker to sell you one without riffles.

Then get yourself a section of 1-2 inch raised expanded metal and run it over some backed moss like
1436136254_20150706_083136.jpg

probably the best bang for buck recirc system is the letrap river robber sluice. As for a little highbanker you just wsnt something simple with a punch plate header. Do you have a fabricator near you?

G'day Condor22

Im also looking for a similar entry level sluicing set up
I found a sluice on Ebay $250 plus postage
Sluicy Gold Equipment GS11

I hope the more experienced guys can advice both of us if its suitable etc.
I'm thinking it would work with a 12v bilge pump rated 2000GPH and run it off a solar panel converter/charger and a couple batteries.

Nucopia
ps cant post links
You are not allowed to post links. Link posting is enabled after you have made 10 or more posts

nucopia said:
G'day Condor22

I'm thinking it would work with a 12v bilge pump rated 2000GPH and run it off a solar panel converter/charger and a couple batteries.

Nucopia
ps cant post links
You are not allowed to post links. Link posting is enabled after you have made 10 or more posts

The one I am seriously considering is this one - http://goldsluicingaustralia.com/shop/sluices-2/ of the 3 shown I'm looking at the Backpacker. My biggest limitation is space to carry it, by the time I load my GPX detector, coils and kit for it, space in the vehicle is at a premium. The tub will probably be this - http://www.bunnings.com.au/tuffman-80l-black-heavy-duty-storage-container-_p2582625 and the pump this one - http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/...p-1150GPH-12V.aspx?pid=118838#Recommendations

These pumps are in U.S. Gallons, so 1150GPH = 4353 litres. However by the time I get up to the sluice the head height will be about 850 to 900mm and the pump output will drop to about 750GPH which is a bit over 2,800 LPH. Which for a small sluice should be enough. More next post

Hey Condor22
Here is a picture of the sluice on eBay seller is goldfever426

$230 plus $51.20 postage

1436437493_image.jpg

The dimentions of the GS16 are as follows: hopper is 130mm high, 600mm long, and 240mm wide.
The tray is 720mm long 250mm wide and 80mm high sides, the riffles are 100mm apart. The water fittings are 1" nipple onto a 3/4" sprays bars. We post all our sluices Australia wide and pick up is also available.
We recommend using a 2500-3500GPH bilge or a small petrol pump.

Thanks Nucopia, looks interesting. I'm currently looking at how much carrying space I have to determine if it's even viable. Especially as I also carry a 5000 and associated kit. I think the biggest problem will be the tub.

yeah I know what you mean. i have a ford station waggon so have a bit of space but not a lot for equipment plus bags food supplies camp gear and water.
I was thinking to use a box trailer, which I can borrow from my mate next door for the first few trips away.
Luckely where I am planning to start fossick, is close to the property of a good friend who we can stay with and just drive out every morning.

nucopia said:
G'day Condor22

Nucopia
ps cant post links
That's how I plan to run the sluice I'm building at the moment, I have a waeco 160w solar panel and a 12v deep cycle battery to buy me a longer run time on my rule 2000 pump.
Another thing I found is the better brand pumps are more efficient then the cheep and nasties

Latest posts