Our Z Thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you know, Big Nugget and my goodself have been out for a few days playing with, testing and generally getting acquainted with the new gpz7000.

We have been making the odd video when time permits, whilst we have been out in the field just to try and gauge what one can expect from the Z.

Its early days yet, the usual loads of lead pieces, buttons, bullets etc and only a couple of really small pieces of color that any SDC owner would have been proud to get.
Im talking 0.06g and 0.45g.

We both could not believe this thing found a 0.06g, and it was not only the Z, but good technique and patience shown by BN that he was able to recover it.
He will post a pic here if he so desires, its his gold so its up to him.

I know some of you will want to know about settings, but there's not much point really because it always differs depending on the type of ground your in, the conditions your detecting under etc etc.
Plus, i dont know the machine well enough myself yet to give solid advice in this area. It takes time!

Hopefully we will be able to add more pics and vids as time goes on, with a few decent finds to show!

Happy hunting all.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/zFCyQ26QVZs[/video]

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/LZYowrpcN58[/video]

Thanks for sharing the videos. If the zed recognises your bag from a couple of feet away I wonder if someone with a steel plate/screws in there leg would set it off.

There is a post on another forum by a bloke that has a pin in his leg - from knee to ankle. He said he has never had an issue with any other detector/coil combination. The GPZ is picking it up though & has caused him to change his "style".
And people want to do air tests to prove/disprove its sensitivity :lol:

I like what I see but I'm sure it would make you consider wearing boots without steel eyelets and leaving that cricket buckle belt at home.

I also wonder if a pick on the hip is just inside the interference zone on the end of your swing?

Wally69 said:
I also wonder if a pick on the hip is just inside the interference zone on the end of your swing?
Yep seen some posts from GPZ users already about where the best place to stash the pick is as the GPZ will see it if on your hip too (so will a GPX & big coil). The best place - on your back tucked in your harness.

dwt said:
Cool posts Meta, no issues in hitting targets, have you guys noticed any sound difference from steel to gold with the new rig? :)

Yes sort of mate but its hard to pick for me at the moment, still getting used to its various songs.....once the ear is trained should be no drama's.
You can even set the tunes to different tones how you like em!

I carry the pick over my left shoulder as i have always done and this does not present a problem with the Z.

Only thing being i cant use the swing stick to help with the weight because the left hand is taken.

Maybe strapped to my backpack as Mbasko says is an idea, but would be a pain unhooking it everytime you go to dig.

My boots have no steel caps, but if i get the coil too close, it does pick up the little brass/steel lace eyelets as Wally says.

This thing sure is a game changer, it actually helps to improve my swing technique!

Cheers ;)

my 5000 with 11inch coil get very disturbed by the eyelets in my boots, even keys in my pocket disturb it 8)

i have to have it at max extension on the shaft so i can wear boots instead of thongs :)

Metamorphic said:
I carry the pick over my left shoulder as i have always done and this does not present a problem with the Z.
Only thing being i cant use the swing stick to help with the weight because the left hand is taken.
Maybe strapped to my backpack as Mbasko says is an idea, but would be a pain unhooking it everytime you go to dig.

Have you thought about attaching a rare earth magnet to your harness strap to hold the pick on your shoulder and free up your left hand?

Reeks said:
Wally69 said:
I like what I see but I'm sure it would make you consider wearing boots without steel eyelets and leaving that cricket buckle belt at home.

Naked detecting is the answer Willy- ah i mean Wally.

I have been known to do a bit of night detecting, was caught in my jocks behind the camp one night waving the wand .....darn beer has that effect on me :lol: :D :lol:

Not sure nude detecting will catch on Reece but you have always amazed me where you go with bare feet, it must be time you upgraded to a Z

hey Meta,

thanks for calling me out on the smallest find :8 LMAO.

but your right mate, I thought the TDI & GMT ( and ol mates 5k), had cleaned this patch yet the z proved otherwise.

Yes DWT, can tell the difference mate, just like a PI can.

and I need to buy new boots as the eyelets are hard to hide from.

A few good ideas about carrying the pick, thanks guys.

anyway, a picture speaks a thousand words.

cheers ;)

1426588381_20150307_064025650_ios_-_copy.jpg

1426588437_20150307_064018782_ios_-_copy.jpg

1426588466_20150307_020131312_ios_-_copy.jpg

1426588491_20150307_025341332_ios_-_copy.jpg

not too heavy for a Sheila :p

1426588559_20150307_075148337_ios_-_copy.jpg

1426588763_settings.jpg

Big Nugget said:
hey Meta,

thanks for calling me out on the smallest find :8 LMAO.

2645155.jpg

Was wondering when you would show up!

A great find mate, any machine can ping an 87oz 6" down, not many can ping a 0.06g at same depth.

Top work bro...shows the power of the beast in good hands ;)

wicked vids meta :cool: ....what you mean.."You can even set the tunes to different tones how you like em!"...???? im all ears :cool:

20xwater said:
wicked vids meta :cool: ....what you mean.."You can even set the tunes to different tones how you like em!"...???? im all ears :cool:

Mainly audio tones (1-100 adjustable)

Threshold Level (1-50)..... Pitch (1-100)

;)

Bit concerned with the High Volume setting Big Nugget, headphones or WM12 speaker? If WM12 then that's probably ok. Also what Audio Smoothing setting were you using?

jp