Yet another noobie..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Paul from Bendigo.
I've prospected from time to time, nothing too serious, with little to no luck (also, little to no idea!).
Recently I have a lot more time on my hands, so I bought a Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack, and an RDH 10" power sluice, and after getting on YouTube, I have decided to make a highbanking attachment for the sluice.

So good old dad came to the party (being a metal fabricator-boiler maker), and has completed the task just this afternoon! I just have to attach the water pump, etc tomorrow, and she's a goer.
Only problem is I won't get to use it till Sunday..bummer.

I've also bought a hand dredge (gold sucker) and gave it a go for a short time, and had reasonable success with it, and can't wait to do more.

Anyway, I'll post pics if I have any decent finds.

Cheers, Paul. :cool:

Hi and welcome.
Boiler makers are Australia's unsung legends, I got several bits of gear made by boiler makers.

Welcome to the forum Paul. Sounds like you're well on the way with the kit required to become successful in our great hobby mate. I'm sure joining the forum will certainly speed up the learning curve, so don't hesitate to pick the brains of the dedicated members.

Best of luck out there and look forward to the pics of your successes.

Cheers Wal. :)

Paul - welcome. Show your Dad this photo - I think he will like it. I am a fitter and turner by trade and these old bits of equipment amaze me. I check the specs for these things when I see them (I really need to get a life) and they are just about as perfect as the day they were made. All old imperial measurements and those are all hand made bolts and castings. Then you have to consider this thing was shipped into the bush on a horse and dray. Amazing - we whinge when the crane to move our gear is late!! Its from a eucalyptus distillery used between 1917 - to the 1950s out past Maryborough Vic.

1383265798_boiler.jpg

here is a drawing of it in use.

1383265897_bolier2.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated!
I love all the history and everything to do with goldrush era, 'twas a very interesting time indeed, but I'm grateful that I live in an era of easier methods of finding gold (detectors, electric water pumps etc) although the basics of finding gold remain the same.

I've actually gotten alot of inspiration from your (& Liz of course!) videos Wal!

loamer, those old boilers are amazing pieces, there's a really good condition one, down the road from me, I'll get a pic and post it. They were true craftsmen, in an era of "built to last".

I'm sooo looking forward to Sunday, to test the highbanker..

Cheers all,
Paul. :)

Not so chuffed about an Exterra if you are after gold. Relics on the other hand all good. Ive got the older 70 and it barely squeaks on a half gram nugget at 3 inches. Im very interested in the new ATX Extreme, only time will tell. I'll bet the highbanker will find you the most consistent gold in my opinion.

Peter

I reckon you're right about the x-terra Twapster.

Here's a couple of quick pics of the sluice turned highbanker, dad even gave it all a quick half ar$ed camo paint job.

We tested it out at dads dam, it seems to go quite ok, im hoping to give it a proper workout tomorrow, I'll post the results if it happens.

null_zps0b538381.jpg

null_zps3ba32cf6.jpg

Cheers, Paul.

Pete maybe you could sweet talk the lovely wifee to do a couple of extra shifts and discretely suggest and ATX would make a great Christmas present for the love of her life.

Lets see what see says 555

Lets all hope you dont see the milkman sporting a shiny new ATX over his shoulder.
Only joking no offence meant.

I see one problem with that Goldstreak. You will want to go to the loo sometime and never find it.

A dunny seat on the highbanker and you can make a quick pit stop , then keep shovelling! I might have to incorporate that in my design.

Lol

Peter

hahahaha you are a funny lot, lol

Welcome to you BSellin, hope you enjoy this forum :D

Lol, cheers guys, I didn't get out today, unfortunately.

Am so eager to give this beast a workout..and hopefully (insert "ask jeff williams dot cooom" voice here), git me some gooold, so come on, let's go!

Cheers, Paul.

Latest posts