Yarra Ranges Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone been out past Warburton in the Yarra Ranges?

I've never done any prospecting, of any kind, but since moving to Victoria a few years ago I'm pretty keen to give it a go.

The reason I ask about the Yarra Ranges is that there used to be a gold mine on Walshes Creek. The mine had closed and is now under water - the Upper Yarra Reservoir now dominates the area - but I'm sure there would be a bit around still. Through my line of work I actually have access to the catchment area and it's tributaries and looking at the creeks I've always thought what if... I'm fairly certain that they wouldn't have been detected before, and certainly not with the standard or gear available today.

Otherwise some easily accessible streams would include McMahon's and Starvation Creeks which are further to the West/South West of the Reservior.

Melbourne Water Catchments are within the Yarra Ranges National Park and therefore out of bounds to the public!
They are patrolled by a security company and any breaches of the regulations result in significant fines! $2400 for illegal entry to catchment areas.
A number of people are caught fairly often, fishing, swimming, motorbike riding, bushwalking and hunting by the regular patrols!

Your line of work involves access to the catchment areas???? You would still be in breach of the regulations by prospecting within the catchment areas!
Melbourne Water River & Streams division will order you out! You would be in breach of your access permit and works permit! i.e. permit for DSE fire prevention works, weed spraying, pest control etc.
Two summers ago a Melbourne water fire crew member got sacked on the spot for gold panning within the Thompson catchment!

Mc Mahon's & Starvation Creeks are designated water supply catchments so also no prospecting!

You would be best finding a legal place to prospect and sticking to the laws!

Many Creeks & Rivers in Victoria are unsuitable for prospecting with a metal detector! Lack of nuggety gold been the main factor and also the significant amount of metal trash! Bullets, fishing sinkers and old bits of rusty steel! If prospecting was aloud at the locations i doubt any nuggets would be found!

Most of the worked out gold bearing Creeks carry very insignificant amounts of very fine flood gold! ( going after it is not very profitable ).

Hi, I've been prospecting around that area in the last 12 months (not in the catchment areas) with limited success. Gold is very fine, mainly using a pen. When the weather improves I intend on doing some panning. Let me know if your'e interested in joining me.

Toothpick said:
McMahon's & Starvation Creeks are designated water supply catchments so also no prospecting!

I suspect you may be a MW employee.. I might shut my mouth now.. hehehe

johnb said:
Hi, I've been prospecting around that area in the last 12 months (not in the catchment areas) with limited success. Gold is very fine, mainly using a pen. When the weather improves I intend on doing some panning. Let me know if your'e interested in joining me.

That's a nice offer, however I've never done any prospecting before, keen to get started though. I'm currently researching gear, might start with panning then if I'm not bored shitless I'll get a Minelab.

Toothpick said:
Mc Mahon's & Starvation Creeks are designated water supply catchments so also no prospecting! .

Hey Toothpic

These are not on the exempted list - http:// www. energyandresources.vic.gov.au/ earth-resources/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking/land-access-rules/list-of-exempted-rivers-and-streams#b (3 spaces)

How confusing?

In the Forest Explorer, both creeks are in the Yarra State Forest, not the Yarra Ranges NP - http :// nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/ MapShare.v2/imf.jsp?site=forestexplorer (3 spaces)

So how is one meant to also be aware of these 'catchment areas'?

AliQ said:
Toothpick said:
Mc Mahon's & Starvation Creeks are designated water supply catchments so also no prospecting! .

Hey Toothpic

These are not on the exempted list - http:// www. energyandresources.vic.gov.au/ earth-resources/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking/land-access-rules/list-of-exempted-rivers-and-streams#b (3 spaces)

How confusing?

In the Forest Explorer, both creeks are in the Yarra State Forest, not the Yarra Ranges NP - http :// nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/ MapShare.v2/imf.jsp?site=forestexplorer (3 spaces)

Hi AliQ,

Toothpick is gone mate. Last visit was in September 2013.

Sorry bro :/

Omg...rofl..

But yeah..I'm here in the Valley... w00t!

Hmm should define really..he is asking a question. Most tributaries and nearby creeks all the way to Warrandyte to Gippsland are open to access mate apart from some reserves. No digging in The Yarra allowed. Usually the easier to be sure option is to dig where the green is along creeks on the maps from the post offices or newsagency of the vally

AliQ said:
Toothpick said:

Hey Toothpic

How confusing?

Hi AliQ, Under the conditions of our Miner's Right we're okay to fossick on "Unrestricted Crown Land" like in State Forests and Regional Parks but not on "Restricted Crown Land" like National Parks, Reference areas and Historic Reserves (like Mississippi Creek) to name a few and also some State Parks. Potable water supply catchments are all well fenced and entries are gated and all are prominently and explicitly signed. Don't worry cos you'd have to be blind to enter them unknowingly. In the Yarra SF Mc Mahon's & Starvation Creeks are not exempted so I'd feel comfortable panning in them but would steer clear of Mississippi Creek and Ada creek.

casper

Latest posts