Yambulla NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last few weeks I have been working one of the goldfields on the Far South Coast near Eden in State Forest.

Been working near a bridge but the Google Maps mentions an open cut section right on the River. So far it has been fine gold on the most part with just a few pickers near the bridge and I have not tracked to the river section with the open cut because it is about 600m into heavy scrub.

I don't think I have heard about an open cut mine location being on a river before. The scrub is hard going but it may be worth checking out I think and trying to navigate to it.

Any more experienced prospectors seen that before? Open cut on a river? What do you think it means?

It is all State Forest there. One of the places where the Greenies were active years ago but the logging trucks you see them but that's about it.

Its probably referred to as an open cut due to the removal of large areas of overburden to expose a shallow ancient river bed or to expose wash containing alluvial gold close to the current river. Are the banks higher than the current river system? This is usually were ancient river beds are located - higher up from current waterways.

There is an area near Windeyer referred to as an open cut mine but it is a series of mainly shallow shafts or open pits dug here to get down to the gold bearing material near the creek. Older miners would have most likely sunk shafts to get down to deeper material or even tunnelled in from the river bank depending on distance but a more modern set up could have used heavy machinery to strip the overburden I guess but I wouldn't be surprised if you find a similar series of shallow shafts or open pits in the area?

Someone more experienced may differ but in my short time this is what I have found with "mines" marked as open cut near waterways. They are probably better described as a surface mining area or costean rather than an actual open cut mine.

mbasko said:
Its probably referred to as an open cut due to the removal of large areas of overburden to expose a shallow ancient river bed or to expose wash containing alluvial gold close to the current river. Are the banks higher than the current river system? This is usually were ancient river beds are located - higher up from current waterways.

There is an area near Windeyer referred to as an open cut mine but it is a series of mainly shallow shafts or open pits dug here to get down to the gold bearing material near the creek. Older miners would have most likely sunk shafts to get down to deeper material or even tunnelled in from the river bank depending on distance but a more modern set up could have used heavy machinery to strip the overburden I guess but I wouldn't be surprised if you find a similar series of shallow shafts or open pits in the area?

Someone more experienced may differ but in my short time this is what I have found with "mines" marked as open cut near waterways. They are probably better described as a surface mining area rather than an actual open cut mine.

Thanks

The sides of the river are higher than the river itself. Quite a lot.

On the weekend I'll try and find the exact spot but it does sound like the overburden was removed for the ancient river bed. Might be worth seeing if the gold from the area cut away is much different from what is in the river. In which case I'll post pics.

Further up there are series of hard rock mines (10+) but the alluvial is in the Wallagaraugh River that trails from these mines to an area that is on a major river bend area. (marked it in the map).

1370234443_yambullaopen.jpg

Hi all just a heads up the fires at yambulla gold fields have burnt 2500ha, was difficult to detect but now will be easy pickings fires are out time to go to work :)

grubstake said:
blake1901 said:
Hi all just a heads up the fires at yambulla gold fields have burnt 2500ha, was difficult to detect but now will be easy pickings fires are out time to go to work :)

Good luck with the charcoal. :rolleyes:

Haha yeah its not good especially after all the rain, going there tomorrow will let yous know how I go :)

Care full with falling limbs and such Cobber. :) :)
I am going to wait a couple of months before going in there.
At least the bloody snakes won't be much of a problem now. LOL
Trouble is I would be too busy looking up instead of down. :eek:

Will charcoal give a signal out of interest, was getting some false signals and thought maybe the charcoal from prior fires might have been responsible, turned down the gain a bit, made it a bit better.

davent said:
Will charcoal give a signal out of interest, was getting some false signals and thought maybe the charcoal from prior fires might have been responsible, turned down the gain a bit, made it a bit better.

Hi mate, honestly I'm not to sure! It will be a first for me detecting over a burnt area.... Maybe someone else could elaborate? cheers

I find clinker gives a signal (from old boiler fires),... but just charcoal in old firepits by itself is a nothing, maybe it's different in highly mineralized ground with the charcoal pulling in minerals over time through natural attrition,..... maybe not so much the recent charcoal, unless the trees themselves are pulling up the minerals from the soil, and that's what's responsible for the signals in this instance. :|

Take a DD coil with you just incase. Have had issues with mono coils and charcoal. I kind of wish Jupiter creek would see a controlled burn off at some point. Hop to see some finds posted up from you yambulla hunters! :cool:

Just a warning Folks.
I have it from a very reliable source that Forestry are going to start fining people for
prospecting activities near the bridge.
They really don't like fining people but no body seams to get the message.
When you look at a map, The area below the bridge is in a Flora Reserve.
And also includes the "Big Bend. "
I have made the same mistake in the past and will update my old post's.
They have put signs up and have had camera's installed but, Signs have been taken down and a camera was stolen.
The other one wasn't. :D
I told the Ranger of my mistake but have not been back for 12 months and the last time I was there, I repaired a
bit of damage and picked up a bit of rubbish. He was grateful for it.
He also respect's that people do make mistakes and there is a huge element of folk's who want to do the right thing.
They don't want any trouble.
I suggested to paint a warning on the bridge in yellow paint and that is what they are going to do.
I offered to assist them when they wanted to do it and that was gratefully accepted.
Heck, They even had people in there when there was a major fire event in the area not long ago. Silly thing was those who they caught
denied any wrong doing yet had a permit.
Summing up, They really do not want to fine any one but they are just over it.
Yes, I knew about the recent person who he moved on.
You can prospect above the bridge to your hearts content and if you do your research, There are quit a few other places you can go in that area,
and has more Gold than what you find at the bridge. :) :)

Hi all, I'm after some info about the gold at yambulla. I am new to prospecting and spent the weekend down there doing some crevicing. I did find gold but it was all tiny. Is there still better gold to be found there? Thanks in advance, Shane.

Latest posts