Wireless headphones for XTERRA for $10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
My hearing is not what it used to be, so I use earphones when detecting with 705. Actually just one earphone the other ear is free to hear what is going on around me. Quickly I found out that being attached to the detector by earphone cable is pain in the neck and lower down. I looked for some kind of wireless solution but found it too expensive.
So here is my wireless earphones for $10 solution. You will need mobile phone with build in FM radio receiver or MP3 player with radio and supplied earphones. Nowdays every man and his dog got one. I am using Samsung Galaxy S2. Next bit, In car wireless FM radio transmitter from eBay for about $8. I can not post link so search for discount4dvd seller. He is in England and will post it for free. Takes about week to arrive. And last bit, 1/4" plug to 3.5 mm socket stereo adapter for about $2 from eBay again. Get the metal one, plastic one does not last. Do not get cheaper FM transmitter from China, I tried them and they don't work. Use some velcro to attach transmitter to you detector. Set headphones volume to 22 maximum on 705, any higher and tones will be distorted. Transmitter uses 2 AAA batteries and alkaline ones last about 20 hours. I recharge all alkaline batteries at least 10x.
To use it plug your adapter to the headphones socked on 705. Plug FM transmitter in to adapter socket. Switch the FM transmitter on and select unoccupied frequency. Plug the earphones to your mobile and in the radio app select same frequency. Adjust volume to suit you. That's it, you are free. It should work with any detector that got headphones socket.
Karl

Wow, great idea, I wish you published it before I bought "standard" wireless headphones. I would definitelly have tried it.
The only issue might be a delay - did you notice any when using your headphones?

No delay whatsoever. Blue tooth sets got some delay, but radio got none. Well not strictly true. The FM transmission travel at about 300000 km per second. Electrical signal travel over over copper wires and PCB tracks at roughly same speed. The signal from your detector to the earphones has to travel just couple meters. The delay would not be more then few nanoseconds. No way you could notice.

Latest posts