Windows 8 Map app. Thumbs up or down?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Background to rant - I love maps. I love topos, geos, old military maps, old gold maps, new maps, I make my own maps, I even have the complete 1:25 000 of Victoria, the State Library map lady and I are on first name basis and when google earth came out I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Can some one please explain to me the point of the windows 8 map app? its like version 0000001 of google earth - is it just me or is this designed for plonkers? It has no benefit apart from being a street directory. It does show traffic routes- did you know the South East Freeway in Melbourne gets busy? Oh really - I think the comment about Sherlock having constipation springs to mind. I await an improvement (like a decent measuring tool for starters) but will not be holding my breath. I think its designed so teenage girls can get directions to go and see One Direction (yes I have a grand daughter) and I quote "you know like, I can see the map like and catch the tram like with my peeps like and listen to my ipod like and then chill out like - you know like Pa? :cool:" Give me strength!

I feel better now.

I don't know...maybe I am just old-fashioned, but so far I have stayed away from anything with "app" as part of it's description...maybe I should get with the times, like, you know, the kids??

lol.