Windfarm Karara Qld, impact on nearby GPA?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,
I have a QED and can tune mains out without effecting ground balance.
Happily use it under power lines when things get rough.
I do not use anything over 12x 8 though.
Still hits shotgun pellets at 6 inches.
Good enough for me. :cool:

Also being underground their wires will be very well shielded not just for EMI but to protect them from the elements as well. so they might not even be noticeable.
Sorry to be negative but I had a chance to try that on The Snowy's.
Nearly blew my eardrums out. LOL
If they are there, You will find them about 3
meters out plus,
You should not dig there anyways.

Sorry to be negative but I had a chance to try that on The Snowy's.
Nearly blew my eardrums out. LOL
If they are there, You will find them about 3
meters out plus,
You should not dig there anyways.
Thats not negitive thats a good constructive answer,

We need more real world observations like that, 👍

In my experience, power cables are not shielded.
They are in conduit for sure but that's just PVC.
In saying that, I have not had experience with HV or EHV.

The first study is on EMF not EMI (they are different). It's measuring the milligauss output & assessing human health impacts from them.
It's the frequencies or more the varying frequencies that cause EMI issues.

The second report does look at EMI & concludes:
Conclusions This EMI assessment has found that the Project has the potential to impact on a number of radiocommunication services in vicinity of the Project. Specifically, the turbines at the Project may interfere with digital television broadcast signals received from the Adelaide broadcast towers at houses surrounding the Project, particularly in areas where the residents currently experience poor or marginal reception. Interference to the FM radio signal broadcast by the nearby Flow FM transmission tower may also be experienced near the edges of the signal coverage area to the west and northwest of the Project.
Pretty sure from that a detector will suffer some EMI issues if used in the vicinity.

They will simply close the area and will be another area lost to Us forever...... Mate lives very close to the GPA and has been told by Rangers "Enjoy it while You can"... When he asked why, reply was No Prospecting anywhere near the wind things...:confused:

LW...

In my experience, power cables are not shielded.
They are in conduit for sure but that's just PVC.
In saying that, I have not had experience with HV or EHV.
The cables in my area have 5 ,7 or 9 aluminium cores each about an inch in diameter molded in white plastic with a poly pipe like casing.
Average cable would be close to 100mm.
These are buried 900mm deep in a bed of special heat dispursing sand under a plastic warning sheet then 300mm of backfill onto.
They are run single between towers and then in parallel usually 4 cables to the sub station.
They are in big orange conduits under main roads and creeks but in general just lay in the sand bed.

With the wind Aussiefarmers observations may also be due to higher winds equalling higher output (increasing to a set limit) & they also won't cut in during low winds (why you often see only some rotating) so more will be running in the ideal wind coconditions.
The turbines erected in the last 3 years will spin in a frost , well before any breeze is at ground level, their efficient enough that power produced out ways the wear rate even in low winds.
Some early turbines had an electric motor to start the rotation, the modern turbines simply roll the blades to get maximum effect and also do the same to control the speed limits.
Each turbine has 4 electric motors uptop , one to roll each blade and one big one to turn the nacell (head) towards the wind.
The most interesting bit is the blades actually pull the tower towards the wind like a boat propeller which keeps them upright in gale force winds.

10 Klm's. Hmmm

I would be right out in the middle of no where enjoying
no rfi, emi and then,
dit, dit dit, dit. dit, dit
Grrr :mad:
Right when I think I have found some thing.
Light a smoke up and wait for the Jet Liner at 30,000 feet pass over.

I doubt that any fairly constant EM signal would affect detecting, You are measuring distortion in the field present, no matter what it is caused by. If that field is fairly constant it should not affect your signal at your anomaly point. Even if it were intermittent, you should know that something does not make sense, because your response where you are detecting would be intermittent (that anomaly from your glorious nugget would be on and off and the time spacing would probably be fairly large - perhaps that of a blade rotation). Given that EMI falls off exponentially, I also doubt that it would have much signal compared with your detector response. But I am not a physicist.

And I have not been detecting close to any wind farms - not a large percentage of most goldfields, even in Victoria (only once been near one when detecting - south of Ararat).

I suspect that detecting very close to power-lines, or coal-fired or gas power stations might be as much of a theoretical problem - but I suspect if you were detecting near the latter you should learn some gold geology. 🤔🤔
Goldierocks one thing that is not often mentioned is that the output from any one wind turbine is anything but constant. The wind is almost never steady, gusting and dying off, that is why we need base load from gas or coal turbines or from a biiiig battery to balance the fluctuations. I’m guessing that the emi varies with this fluctuation, making it even harder to tune out.

Goldierocks one thing that is not often mentioned is that the output from any one wind turbine is anything but constant. The wind is almost never steady, gusting and dying off, that is why we need base load from gas or coal turbines or from a biiiig battery to balance the fluctuations. I’m guessing that the emi varies with this fluctuation, making it even harder to tune out.
But I would have thought the signal too weak - as I quoted from the Canadian report:
""Magnetic field levels detected at the base of the turbines under both the ‘high wind’ and ‘low wind’ conditions were low ...... becoming indistinguishable from background within 2 m of the base. Magnetic fields measured 1 m above buried collector lines were also within background" i.e. background presumably means not natural variation as if not effectively there. And isn't the prospecting area 10 km away or is it the forest to the south? Also I cannot imagine they would let you very close once built - guys with picks and shovels are probably not popular around powerlines. In the end I guess one has to live with it.

In low winds yes they do build up to max. output & appear they would fluctuate more:

wind farm.JPG
Source: Freely available from a number of internet sources

From above typically wind speeds between 3.5 to 14m/sec sees power output remain in a curve (assume fluctuating with wind drop/increase) until they reach 14m/sec where the rated output maxes out until reaching a cut out speed of ~25m/sec (some turbines have different cut in/out speeds - above is a typical example only).
Note: Cut in speed is the speed the turbines start outputting power i.e. the blades may start up slightly prior to power output cut in but until the turbines reach their set cut in speed (seems to be between 3-4m/sec for the newer turbines) they aren't actually giving any power output.
So to me:
- calm conditions under 3-4m/sec should pose no issue;
- lower winds 3.5-14m/sec could possibly cause fluctuations;
- higher winds 14-25m/sec result in a constant max. rated output;
- Both the lower & higher winds could have the potential to cause issues for nearby detector users for differing reasons IMO.
Remains to be 100% determined how much effect or what might cause the most, if any, issues?

We can look at various studies on EMF/EMI all we like but the only feedback that will matter in these areas is that of detectorists who have experienced differing conditions near to these installations. The studies mean little as none that I've found have even considered metal detectors let alone done any testing - the reality is it's not a big enough concern.

Interesting wind scale:

Wind farm2.JPG
Source: www.EngineeringToolBox.com

How often do we get wind velocity of 14-25m/sec at these locations for the max. rated output?
I'd assume they are running in the 3.5-14m/sec bracket more often than not?

Like with other sources of EMI (radio/mobile towers, wind, static discharge), that we are told are rare to cause issues & more likely to be spherics, my own personal experience is that these issues are rare when looked at over the broader picture but when drilling down to specific areas they may not be so "rare" but rather something that is common for people in that specific area to need to contend with. I'd assume wind farm installations will be no different & as with other areas have good/bad days + other influences contributing to increase any issue (like spherics or other infrastructure combining) & no doubt with some thought + perseverance solutions or practical means to reduce any issues i.e. DD coils, cancel modes, more frequent noise cancel/tuning, using more EMI resistant detectors etc. will be shared.

They will simply close the area and will be another area lost to Us forever...... Mate lives very close to the GPA and has been told by Rangers "Enjoy it while You can"... When he asked why, reply was No Prospecting anywhere near the wind things...:confused:

LW...
"Good afternoon Matt,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding any impact the MacIntyre Wind Farm may have on the Durikai State Forrest General Permission Areas (GPA).

I advise that the MacIntyre Wind Farm is not over land included in the Durikai State Forrest and therefore has no impact on the fossicking entitlement under the Durikai State Forrest

I hope this information provides some clarification on the matter.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional queries.

A/Senior Field and Compliance Officer

Field and Compliance Team | Engagement and Compliance Unit | Georesources"

Hey guys, I just spoke to the current Mine Lease holder just south of the Carbean Rd GPA.
From what he says, there are 160 Turbines going up, and one will be right over his ML. They are HUGE, now I don't know if true but they will be like 200 meters tall, and have huge blades. They also make an immense noise when working at peak. Like a plane engine from what I have heard. I will google this later to confirm. But he did seem genuine to me.
The GPA is safe, in regards to the land, but EMI, well that is the question. Not looking good.

Latest posts