Wild weather overseas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that on our local news. It's been crazy weather here in the states this spring and now summer. On channel 22 news station here, they have a name for it now. It's called the "Ring of Fire" weather pattern. Hey Mates... hope this makes sense to you! :cool:

We had a storm tonight blow off to the NW missed us. Then for several weeks this spring, became a regular thing turn on the TV, only to see constant tornado warnings. We've had them touching down a couple times only about a 30 minute drive from here. Those were coming from the W to SW direction, which can put them slightly to our NW. Once I was able to walk out on the back deck and it pass just to the north. We have been really lucky, all the hail storms and tornados completely missed us al season so far.

Hi Jaros,Something I noticed on a trip to the Gold Coast, cars with hail damage,that to me,is crazy,would not like to have a good car caught in that. :eek:

air drag is the only factor that affects fall speed
a jelly bean, a golf ball, & a 2' diameter iron ball will all theoretically fall at the same speed, size doesn't matter.
obviously each carries different energy on impact tho

Except that size (not mass) also affects drag (ie, air resistance). That's why a sheet of paper will float slowly to the ground, whereas the same sheet of paper crumpled up will fall more quickly. Same mass, but different 'size', and hence drag acts differently on two objects of the same mass.

Good old Galileo.

If you had a tube running all the way through the earth from one side to the other and jumped into it ( assuming you wouldn't burn up ) would you fall through to the other side, go up and down like a yoyo or get stuck in the middle ? :playful:

Probly shoot out the other side and suffocate in space as all your bodily liquid boils away to infinity and beyond. Be a shocked look of surprise on your faces I'll bet. :p

Bush Chook said:
Except that size (not mass) also affects drag (ie, air resistance). That's why a sheet of paper will float slowly to the ground, whereas the same sheet of paper crumpled up will fall more quickly. Same mass, but different 'size', and hence drag acts differently on two objects of the same mass.

Good old Galileo.

Take a house brick and a feather up 1000 feet or 10,000 feet and drop'em at the same time, they'll both hit the ground at the same time :( :/ Gravity doesn't discriminate the brick will drop and the feather will orientate itself virtually that results in it falling at the same speed to touch down at the same time. Mass is a proportion of size that no matter the size gravity is a constant equal is how I recall a science lesson from the best teacher who ever taught me.

This guy RM?

1562251825_why_is_it_so..jpg

:)

Oh well, it was a TV meteorologist who said that about how fast each size hail falls. Maybe the impact on hail is a factor to be concerned about. We have in some places got baseball size hail, a few times in the US in recent years. Happened once this year, hail went right through the roof.

silver said:
Probly shoot out the other side and suffocate in space as all your bodily liquid boils away to infinity and beyond. Be a shocked look of surprise on your faces I'll bet. :p
I think buoyancy might not let you get to the centre or perhaps you would get crushed by the 3.6 million atmospheres from the 6000km column of air pushing down on you. Either way the "shocked look of surprise on the subjects face" would indeed be priceless silver :lol: perhaps like this over the top scene from total recall but in reverse :playful:
1562274589_hqdefault.jpg

RM Outback said:
Bush Chook said:

Good old Galileo.

Take a house brick and a feather up 1000 feet or 10,000 feet and drop'em at the same time, they'll both hit the ground at the same time :( :/ Gravity doesn't discriminate the brick will drop and the feather will orientate itself virtually that results in it falling at the same speed to touch down at the same time. Mass is a proportion of size that no matter the size gravity is a constant equal is how I recall a science lesson from the best teacher who ever taught me.

Nah RM - turns out we were both wrong (along with your science teacher):-

It was witch-craft! :playful: :playful:

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf71YotfykQ[/video]

:playful: :playful:

Wishfull said:
Might be wise to keep an eye on this system off the WA coast. Looks fairly intense.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...242022_resized_screenshot_20200523-231403.jpg

That left over tropical cyclone is headed our way over the next 24/48 hours they have been talking about for the last few days
It is apparently going to meet up with a low pressure system/ low /cold front headed the west basically from the Onslow area thru to the south west
The breeze is just starting here

Latest posts