Who is the Zakman?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakman

Marcus
Reaction score
No body really:)

Hi guys Ive been on these forums for about 2 months now asking lots if questions and gaining knowledge from you guys.

My back ground is very broad but my main work is an airline pilot. I have travelled the world but the blue bird of happiness still lives in a country town called Taradale located at the 63rd mile post from Melbourne on the Calder Highway victoria.

Im presently 53 yrs young and have been involve in aviation since my 16th birthday when i started my engineering apprenticeship with TAA on airframe engines and fitting and turning at Essendon airport that's a long time ago.

I'm am still an australian resident but i do commute to and live in Hong Kong, Yep Hong Kong.

My parents dad 86 Mum 90 yrs are living in Adelaide and every 6 weeks I try and bring them over to Taradale ( where I was brought up) so that we can spend some quality family times enjoy the wonderful memories of my youth and that fresh country air.

One thing about living overseas is that you appreciate all the simple things we have in this lucky country such as; the food, the down to earth real people, clean water, space and that really quite sound of nothing, and don't forget those night sky's that are filled with bright stars which remind you of the amazing world we are a part of.

That's what it's all about that feeling of "life" in the outdoors. Im sure you all know what I'm talking about!

Anyway if your still reading this post the reason I took up gold hunting apart from donating of lots of money to the industry:) is that when I get to Taradale all I do is, work ,work, and work which it is very therapeutic but now I've found a wonderful, self satisfying hobby which I can do in my own back yard, as Taradale is right in the Golden triangle; plus it take me out into the bush where i can completely disconnect from the crazy world that i live in.

I'm a clever guys and pride myself as being reasonably smart so the challenge of hunting that nugget down is alway driving me forward and pushing me to do more research.

Unfortunately one of the prices of commuting with family overseas is the break down of one's marriage but that all behind me know and the kids, son Luke and daughter Jessica both are over 21 yrs of age are now moving on with their own lives.

They both think that Im crazy to be waving a detector over the beach in Discovery Bay Hong Kong finding bottle caps and and sinkers but that all part of learning the detector sounds and enjoying my life. Which they will never understand till they are my age:)

I would like to say thanks to Nugget, Loamer, Teemore, Ben78, Redfin, Roscoe, Heatho and The duck, plus so many others here on these forums for making me feel so welcome to this unusual but special family of crazy gold hunters.

I look forward to meet you all one day in person and many happy hours of forum discussions ahead.

Your friend.

The Zakman

Really name Marcus

Hahah still haven't found a nugget yet. BUT I WILL .

Hi Zakman, what an interesting job you have. I have a cousin about same age as you who is a 777 captain for United. Now my 15 year old daughter has decided she wants to become an airline pilot. We have enrolled her in flight school at Moorabin Flying Services. She will be starting February next year and by the time she finishes high school she will have comercial pilots licence. Let me know if you have any tips for her. :)
It sound like you are in the right place in the triangle to explore your hobby. It is definitely nice to get away from the city and have some peace and quiet. Especially if you live part time in Hong Kong.
Good luck with your all your endeavors and maybe we will bump in to each other somewhere on the gold fields one day. :)

Welcome Zakman, Taradale is a good central base from which to access many gold producing areas including the world famous Golden Triangle which is not that far down the road from you.

Keep in mind for when you get your 5000 that Waanyarra is a popular destination within the GT and a good introduction to goldfields country (historically the GT is the area bounded by Dunolly / Moliagul / Tarnagulla). Pssst! try Secret Hill at Waanyarra ...

i hear you on those starry night views Zakman

its one of the simple pleasures i have in life is to park up in the bush somewhere and just lay back and look at the stars . surprising how many shooting stars there are , that you just dont see when you're in the city.

welcome to the hobby , when you get the first nugget they will probably just keep rolling in then , you just got to get past that hump day and your mind will go " hey ! ..... i can do this ! "

when you mentioned detecting in hong kong , it made me wonder how many beaches there are around the world where locals just never tried or couldnt afford detectors 8)

and places like hong kong harbour ..... that place has been a trading port for donkeys years so god knows how much gold has been lost overboard in that time , or buried in treasure troves hidden away in the hills

Great intro Marcus, and I'm sure with all that world travel you still call Australia home. Best of luck with the detecting and I'm sure there's a big nugget with your name on it just around the corner. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Hi mate, love Taradale, had a poke around there last Friday for the afternoon.
You are lucky to have substantial diggings within a couple of miles.
Was good country, we will go back for sure.

Thanks Guys.

Beagleboy happy to assist your daughter . I run alot of volunteer programmes for the young aviation enthusiasts here in HK and have a web site where they can go and ask questions allot of the information is about flying careers in Hong Kong but I'm sure there is stuff that will asset her.

Plus Im happen to answer any questions you might have, Ive been flying for 37 yrs so Im have a great network. Just PM me.
www.aviationcca.com Its free to register.

Casper thanks. I defiently will try your suggestion;)

Headsup. Yes I'm doing more and more beach don't see any other people around here with detectors but the beaches are really full of rubbish as you can imagine so Im using a Tekneics T2 which has pretty good discrimination. So far so good:)

Redfin. Yes Taradale is a nice quiet place I haven't found any special spots so next time Im in town lets do some searching :)

I need all the help i can get :)

Zakman

Hi mate have sent you a PM on how to get to the spot below, 5 minutes from town.

1385512755_tara.jpg

Very nice intro Zakman - I lived and worked in Kowloon (Yau Yat Chuen) for four years in the 1990s. What a mad-house. MTR subway - best thing ever built - mainly by Australians I might add - toilets? What toilets?. Not a glamorous job like yours, more time underground than above! Found no gold! Developed a love for Tsingtao beer that I still have - took about 6 months for the Park 'n Shop to comprehend what a slab was! I still dream in Cantonese occasionally and the only language base I now have is how to order food, beer, directions and how to tell taxi drivers that I am not a bloody tourist.

Now that you have narrowed down your area, I'll drag through some stuff I have and see what's what in that area.

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks Redfin and Loamer you guys are great.
Loamer yes Hong Kong hasn't changed Very much
It is still crazy busy and always noisy.

Food pretty good and the people freindly
Embarrasing to say it but in may I've been traveling up and down to Australia for 20 yrs
Man how time flies.

If any one from these forums travel this way let me know as I love to catch up face to face.
I'm hoping next time I'm in Taradale some of us can meet up and arrange a days detecting followed by a good pub meal so that we can weight our gold finds.

Chat soon thanks again for the help
Zakman

Hi Zac,
Thanks for sharing and providing such an interesting insight into your life to date, we all lead lives that lead us in many different directions but in the end I believe we realise and accept that we need a bit of me time to allow us to relax, switch off and unwind.

For me it's getting those bucket loads of concentrate and hopefully ending the day with a bit of colour (with minimal success but that's not always the point of the exercise) or, getting out and getting a feed of fish .... bit more successful than the panning.

Playing with my new toy a ML 705 (they were on special) should help me get my familiar with some of the aspects of detecting for when I buy it's big brother.

Taradale is a great spot, usually a toilet stop on the way up to Bendigo BUT I always go and have a look at, and take visitors to see the Viaduct (will post a picture of it under construction when I work out how to load photos).

Safe Travels and Happy hunting,
Tom

Thanks Tom we need to chat up next time Im back in town and have a long chat ann maybe a detected. Good new on the ML 705 their very good.

Zakman

No probs Zakman, I always try to help, not always right but always willing to lend a hand!

Zakman said:
Thanks Ton we need to chat up next time Im back in town and have a long chat ann maybe a detected. Good new on the ML 705 their very good.

Zakman

Not a problem, may be able to meet for bite to eat and a chin wag at some stage, or hope that at some time they have a 'gathering' on this side of town for a meet up with other forum members from the wrong side of the Yarra.
Cheers Tom.

Latest posts