Whites GMT v Gold bug 2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm just wondering which of these Whites GMT v Gold bug 2 are best for finding small and large gold?, and which are best for both small and large gold as well as being able to find eg rings and coins?
Thanks so much for any advice.
Cheers Brett

They are both pretty close in sensitivity to small gold, but the GB2 just edges the GMT out on the really small stuff, having the higher frequency of the two. I watched some local guys in Adelaide using both detectors on minute pieces of gold in pipe clay around mine shafts openings, they both preferred the more sensitive GB2, but still found the GMT quite capable. Some of the pieces of gold I saw them pulling out of the clays with the GB2 were ridiculously small, almost pinhead sized stuff. The tiny 6x4" DD shooter coil was the preferred coil to get the best out of the GMT on very small gold.

The GMT was also the pick for deeper/larger targets, most likely down to the lower 48kHz frequency vs 71kHz on the GB2, but neither of them are real depth monsters. They also don't make for good coin shooting detectors, as they simply pick up too many small non-ferrous targets due to the high frequencies, literally a nightmare in foil littered areas. Both have been used for detecting micro jewellery in tot lots and dry sand, but they weren't really built with coin/jewellery detecting in mind, better off getting a seperate detector with a lower frequency for that purpose.

You also have to take into account whether you prefer auto ground tracking/balancing on the GMT vs manual ground balancing on the GB2. The GMT would make for an easier detector to start off with, plus you have the option of adjusting the ground balance manually as well, whereas some still prefer to have the full manual adjustment on the GB.

If you want a bit more flexibility on the frequency side of things, don't forget the Minelab Eureka on which you can run 6.4, 20, or 60kHz. :)

I had a GMT for many years and did quite well with! If your looking at buying a new detector around that price range also have alook into the whites SPP' not quite as good on small gold but more chance of finding small gold in high mineralisation.

Goldpick has pretty much covered it, but one thing no one ever mentions is that the Gold Bug 2 only has concentric coils - no DD coils are available. This pretty much
limits it to very mild ground. For the Goldmasters, I prefer the old Goldmaster v/sat or GM3 - the GMT sounds more mellow to me. The ultimate VLF would be the GB2, with the 19kHz of the original gold bug added, and a 9" round DD coil option. But then again, for mineralisation, the SDC 2300 leaves any VLF for dead, BUT if fisher would give us a Gold Bug 3 for $900, I bet they would sell like hotcakes.

Latest posts