Whipsticks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christos57

Chris
Reaction score
Hey guys ( and girls)

thanks for taking time to read my post

Well I had a few days off so I thought I would try Whipsticks, I had never been there before so I bought a few books and searched the internet and read and read, this only made me more itchy to get out, Well like guys my age always seems to forget that they are my age before going camping mid winter. Then reality sets in dam it was cold, but wouldn't of missed it for anything.

I was going to take a few pans but last minute I decided to just take the trusty GP Extreme, It seems to be getting a little long in the tooth but still finding gold so I may wait another season before upgrading, Well I met a regular who was just leaving and he suggested a few spots and there were many, many filled in holes so there must of been something there.

Anyway first day after arriving and setting up the tent and having the place to myself, I looked around and found my first whipstick sub grammer, a good start, so as I always do after finding the first, I down sized my coil and gridded the area and having my ears blown off with bullet casings and slugs I decided to go and have dinner and a warm drink by the fire to try and let my acing joins soak up the heat. Day2 to started early with a stiff back and hot coffee but the 3 degrees didn't stop me. 2 small sub grammers (I was guessing around .2 of a gram) before 11 am, yep this is going to be fun, but alas no more for the rest of the day, Day 3, god Im getting old and starting to feel it in this weather, I extended my search and yep another piece and I'm feeling like this is the place for me and no more before lunch and heading back to the camp I see a white holden Ute may be a HQ with a guy running towards it and speeding off, get back to the tent to find it open and my stuff everywhere the first 3 pieces gone as well as a radio, boy I was pissed off. That really let the wind out of my sails, I cant not describe how angry I was. anyway I stayed another night then packed up and locked the car before a few more hours and headed home.

The only bit I have to show for my efforts is 0.15 gram found at around 100mm down
I hope this works. Any way until next time I decide to forget how old my body is I'm tucked back at home

Cheers
Chris
1404640251_ima0786.jpg

Bad Luck Chris
Theres bastards everywhere. I wish you could of caught him and then you probably would of been in trouble for whacking him !!!! Always keep your gold in your pocket. If its too big to do that you should already be down the pub celebrating !! :eek:
The whipstick is tough place
Bop

you have me thinking i need to get a trail camera and leave it to watch over my camp while i am away

every once in a while the scumm pop up like that

better luck next time mate

You need a trip wire alarm you can either
Make or buy one.

You can buy battery operated alarms that
Have a magnetic hatch that you can attach
To a sliding door and when door opens the
Latch moves and alarm goes off. These can
Be switched on by a small remote.

Here is what i mean.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhizeTAkJwA[/video]

What you can do is tie fishing line to one tree
Attach the alarm with zip ties to another tree
And the other end of the line attached to the
Magnet.

You can buy these from that auction Site.

As soon as the line is tripped the magnet
Gets dislodged and the alarm starts screaming.

Here is a ready made item for sale.

http://www.brite-strike.com/CAPSS.html

Trust no one though.

Your a strong person though to remain the night.

If I ever camped out alone i would make sure i would
Have a few trip alarms fitted. You don't know who is
Out there and watching you.

Another idea is to drive about 50 metres off the track
Through the scrub if possible and throw a camouflage
net over the car so anyone driving by won't notice
Your camp as much.

Wolfau said:
Your camp as much.

I'd be a wee bit cautious about doing this, people are going to think your up to something dodgy, usually a skrimmed up car in victorian bush screams "DOPE", more than just prospectors frequent that bushland, stick to main camp grounds and report the incident to the local bobbies, if they know about it, they can patrol it.
Sorry to hear of your loss mate a dispicable act, only made worse by the fact it involved gold.

Chris I a sorry to hear about the thieves, it really does jar to think that people would stoop so low and then to rob a bloke of his joy. I would report it to the police you never know they may be building up a file on the ****

All the best next time. Willo

dwt said:
I'd be a wee bit cautious about doing this, people are going to think your up to something dodgy, usually a skrimmed up car in victorian bush screams "DOPE", more than just prospectors frequent that bushland, stick to main camp grounds and report the incident to the local bobbies, if they know about it, they can patrol it.
Sorry to hear of your loss mate a dispicable act, only made worse by the fact it involved gold.

The only designated camping ground where i would camp
Is in a caravan park otherwise its off a track.

If someone wanted to call the police because my camp had
A camo net so be it it would not stop or worry me as long
As i was not woken up at 6am by a swat team.

If your not breaking the law and your not doing anything
Illegal you don't have anything to worry about.

You need to be careful especially with the cost of equipment
and the remoteness of bush camping you don't know
Who is out there. Your risks increase of anything happening
If your camping in a designated camping ground in the
middle Of the bush where no one else is about because its
an area That is known for prospecting campers which
could be the first port of call for anyone interested in
stealing something.

Fair dinkum mate that's a real low act. I wonder what the world is coming to when this sort of thing goes on. I can only hope a bit of old fashioned karma hits that sort of low life right where it hurts. If there is a small positive out of that it's that we have all gotten a timely reminder to keep things secure. And thanks for sharing I guess in the long run it helps so others can keep an eye out for any similar patterns in the same area, in case of a repeat offender. I can only hope the next time the detector his a target for you its a monster.

:eek: BAD NEWS CHRIS hell. it's getting bad eh. mbe not a good idea to be camping alone these days. I hope you reported the incident. the cops might know the car at least. lucky not much else was stolen. go well. :)

Wolfau said:
dwt said:

The only designated camping ground where i would camp
Is in a caravan park otherwise its off a track.

If someone wanted to call the police because my camp had
A camo net so be it it would not stop or worry me as long
As i was not woken up at 6am by a swat team.

If your not breaking the law and your not doing anything
Illegal you don't have anything to worry about.

You need to be careful especially with the cost of equipment
and the remoteness of bush camping you don't know
Who is out there. Your risks increase of anything happening
If your camping in a designated camping ground in the
middle Of the bush where no one else is about because its
an area That is known for prospecting campers which
could be the first port of call for anyone interested in
stealing something.

Quite a few camp grounds in the area mate, but i do understand what your saying :)
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/as...6/Park-note-Greater-Bendigo-National-Park.pdf

I would never camp in a designated Camping ground
Out in the bush.

Camping alone is not the issue though.

The issue here is where your camping and how visible
Your camp is.

Better luck next time chris.

Yeah sorry about your loss but yeah the scum is out there and I've come close to being mugged in pretty much the same circumstances while out prospecting. I managed to get get back to my 4x4 just as someone rocked up at my camper in a grey commodore. They sped off as they saw me walking in through the scrub. A minute later and I'm certain they'd have broken in and taken everything. This was in moliagul area and since then I have made some changes to my habits when detecting out bush.

Make sure your camp is out of site of any main roads/tracks and as Wolfau says designated bush camp grounds are circled on any thieves lonely planet!
Read the ground for mugs. If the area has lots of rubbish/signs of burn outs and other silly billy activities having taken place don't stay
Buy a GPS tracker and install on your vehicle
Set up a trail cam near your car
Take all small valuables out with you and keep the rest locked away obscurely

In the event something does go down while you're out you at least have a chance of cleaning up some of the scum.

nuggetino said:
Yeah sorry about your loss but yeah the scum is out there and I've come close to being mugged in pretty much the same circumstances while out prospecting. I managed to get get back to my 4x4 just as someone rocked up at my camper in a grey commodore. They sped off as they saw me walking in through the scrub. A minute later and I'm certain they'd have broken in and taken everything. This was in moliagul area and since then I have made some changes to my habits when detecting out bush.

Make sure your camp is out of site of any main roads/tracks and as Wolfau says designated bush camp grounds are circled on any thieves lonely planet!
Read the ground for mugs. If the area has lots of rubbish/signs of burn outs and other silly billy activities having taken place don't stay
Buy a GPS tracker and install on your vehicle
Set up a trail cam near your car
Take all small valuables out with you and keep the rest locked away obscurely

In the event something does go down while you're out you at least have a chance of cleaning up some of the scum.

5 stars mate
1404693645_thumbs_up.jpg

Wolfau said:
You need a trip wire alarm you can either
Make or buy one.

You can buy battery operated alarms that
Have a magnetic hatch that you can attach
To a sliding door and when door opens the
Latch moves and alarm goes off. These can
Be switched on by a small remote.

Here is what i mean.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhizeTAkJwA[/video]

What you can do is tie fishing line to one tree
Attach the alarm with zip ties to another tree
And the other end of the line attached to the
Magnet.

You can buy these from that auction Site.

As soon as the line is tripped the magnet
Gets dislodged and the alarm starts screaming.

Here is a ready made item for sale.

http://www.brite-strike.com/CAPSS.html

Trust no one though.

Your a strong person though to remain the night.

If I ever camped out alone i would make sure i would
Have a few trip alarms fitted. You don't know who is
Out there and watching you.

Your camp as much.

great price . cheers mate

I am presuming the Bendigo Whipstick area? 100% - tell the local coppers. Also, may be worth having a quiet word to the Bendigo dealer, just to get the word out. Having said all that - shocking news and the only plus I guess is you didn't get hurt!! And people wonder why no-one is trusted anymore.

Thanks for the wishes

yes it was at Notleys

the thing I don't understand is the gold was worth what $20 why risk a hefty fine for that ??

anyway next time I will take my rifle bag and a box of ammo and leave the bag open on the front seat with the empty box beside it they may get the idea

Life is to short to worry about it but was really peeved for a week

If the is the worst thing that happens to me this year then I am having a great year :)

but on a positive note I am glad that the old gp extreme and even older ears can pick up 0.15 grams at 4 inches easily

Cheers guys

When thieves Know you have NO means to protect your stuff,well what does one expect??

Latest posts