Where to find old coins?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the best place to look for old coins? like pennies and all that.

And do you just sell them or keep them?

You can look for old buildings, or old house site, park, racecources, Old Railway stations, busstops, etc Only your imagination is the limit.
Most coins that have been burried for some time aren't worth much unless rare date, only have a few anyway.
If current spend em. LOL

Ok thanks. Do you use the local library to research these sort of places or is there any particular websites you can go to?

Answer to that question, is most you will already know. Most parks, playgrounds, nearly all beaches have been around for years. Use your melway sydway or what street dirrectory your town has in the rear is a list of parks. The age of the town is usaully a good indication for age of park as they don't often move. That would be where I start for old coins. Most copper coins arn't worth anything as they corrode over time silver coins don't in most cases. My first Threepence was picked up on a beach I rubbed it to see the date and it snapped into 3 pieces it was so thing from salt & corrosion.
My research for railways, old building sites, private property etc. comes from many books, internet, word of mouth. When searching you may find ten or twenty old places such as railway stations but then out of those a lot of them will be on private land now. You might be lucky the ones you search might all be on Crown land, but they might be all on private property.
So then I use www.dpi.vic.gov.au & geovic to see if it is crown land. Maybe that's a link that one of the moderator's could add.
That is a Victorian link the other states may also have something. Even this site is complicated if you arn't familar with it.
When searching like this it does get difficult but you can find some good sites. My suggestion is if you are unsure or starting as a new hobby, join your near metal detecting club You can learn heaps from just being with others doing the same hobby.
If it is not crown land you need permission.
Some crown land like Historic sites, Fauna parks, National Parks are no go zones. If you go to somewhere like Castlemaine in Victoria ask the Tourist Information centre where you are aloud to go. Some Caravan Park owner like Laancoorie, Wedderburn, and others can also help. These places can also help put you on the goldfields also.
Hope this helps.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ is the search tool of choice for me, old newspaper articles are great, look for election polling places from the 1920s etc this is when they all showed up from miles around on horse and buggy to usually a hall or school that in a lot of cases is now dust laden with coins.
A good spot to start is your own backyard clothes line, remember not that many years ago we did not have automatic washing machines, so hand washed clothes often had items fall into the lawn, threepence heaven under some old clothes line.
Think a bit outside the square when in old schools, kids used to ride to schools on horses not bikes, the shed/stable/water trough are areas where dressing the horse for the journey will produce coins.
I make looking for where a horse would have been on a site my first priority, horse shoes are a good sign i found location but so are belts and buckles.
In suburban areas, if you only detecting there, then look on trove as well for your suburb or search local park name, politicians would hold public rally and gatherings in them.
WW2 put a lot of men in a lot of spots that today you would not realise they been. Some local parks where once housing several hundred men in tents etc for a couple years. http://www.ozatwar.com/ozatwar/militarycamps.htm is a good site to use for finding some of those camps, google earth the location and you may see the white outlines or depressions in the soil still.

Jack went on that site it's a little hard trying to navigate. Have you got any tips.

I found the same thing its a bit complicated to use but there looks to be some good info on there.

Hey u can use naa national archives of Australia and search through old photos of your area. i have a bonus in my town there being an historical society. and for a small fee you can get in their archives and view their microfilm and stuff. but honestly try the naa and switch it over to photo search hope this helps

Oh and there's usually the name of where the photo was taken to help you find it

Hi guys

My detector is almost here. Hoping for Monday / Tuesday

My question is where is the best place to swing for the older coins. I know the usual places like parks, beaches and large public gathering areas for bits and pieces but what are some of the accessible places that would produce the older coins. I can't for the love of me work it out without going onto private property.

Im not after names and areas because I don't want to cut anyones grass, just places in general if possible.

Cheers SG

The first thing to do is research your local history, look for places of historical significance such as old race tracks, sporting grounds or any place where people might have gathered back in the day. Public libraries, museums and the Internet are all great places to do your research.

Be sure to detect around large trees, especially those ginormous old gums, the shade of a tree has always been a great place to keep cool on a hot day. I've found many pre-decs under old trees.

Cheers,
Nugget

For example,in Russia,old coins could be found in fields,where people probably lived before.Old roads are also good sites.I should also mention about churches,but due to our laws,they are protected so this is only for an information.many other places also_Old maps to assist and every place where a human was.

Latest posts